View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: resturant
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

just did my first resturant performance it wasn't formal just a bunch of people saw me doing tip of the toung and called me over to do some tricks for them and the manager saw this and offered me a JOB doing magic there RACKING UP THE BUCKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:34 pm 
Penguin

GOOD JOB and good luck with the job. next time go to the restauraunt forum. good luck

IVAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:27 pm 
Penguin

NICE!!! tell us how it goes, and maybe give some tips as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:33 pm 

magicman15ci wrote:
GOOD JOB and good luck with the job. next time go to the restauraunt forum. good luck

IVAN

Ivan, This IS the restaurant forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

it might have gotten moved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

Congratulations, court! Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm planning to break into that field myself, someday soon when I have my act together. I'm studying the business end and entertainment aspects of it now, so I don't learn the hard way later on. The magic is far from the hardest or most important part of success in this biz.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:48 pm 
born to perform.

starting on saturday
tricks im doing
tip of the toung, a sucker is born every minute, color monte, oil and water
kicker, mental photography, torn and restored napkin, web, precognation deck, matrix, daley show, sponge balls, royale, some pyotecnic, limited edition, and ball to square
and im bringing my old close up pad and just table hop
what do you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:38 am 
born to perform.

it went great i think i spent a little to much time at each table but it all went well made a cupple bucks in tips a little nervous at first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:20 am 

court wrote:
it went great i think i spent a little to much time at each table but it all went well made a cupple bucks in tips a little nervous at first

Don't know what a "cupple" is but assume you mean a "couple of." You should average between $20 to $30 an hour in tips until people get used to the fact that you are there, then the tips rise to $40 to $50 per hour.

Glad it went well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:20 pm 
born to perform.

One piece of advice -- ditch The Web. (I'm assuming you mean The Web by Jim Pace - Performed by Lance Burton.) It's not a magic trick, it's a practical joke thinly disguised as a magic trick. You can probably get away with it 99 times out of a hundred, but sooner or later you'll try it on someone with serious arachnaphobia, and you'll be lucky if you get through it with your job intact, and the restaurant owner will be lucky to avoid a lawsuit.

Read this and ask yourself if you want any part of that: http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/canyourecany.html

I'm guessing the Ammar quote on Penguin's page for The Web is an old one . . .

There's a G-rated effect that's similar, but ends with a butterfly on the back of the spec's hand. It's called Caterpillar Love. It doesn't work exactly the same as The Web; it has three cards instead of four. Please consider that one instead for restaurant work, and save The Web for situations where it can't get you or your boss sued.

Sorry if that sounds too harsh. Anyway, sounds like you're off to a good start. Good variety of effects.

How do you use the close-up pad? It's usually not advised to move anything on the table to make room for it.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:18 am 
born to perform.

for the close up pad its a trimmed down one because its old and i only use it for resturants and if i do move something it proboly a fork or butter knife or napkin i may stop using the web now that scream that ammar explained happened to me but i was called over by this girls boyfriend to do it. and paddy thats about how much i made

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:24 am 
born to perform.

Good idea with the pad.

True, the boyfriend asked you to do it, but if I were the restaurant owner, I wouldn't want to hear a scream from a customer, and if I were the magician, I wouldn't want to have to explain that I caused it. The other customers couldn't see what made that girl scream, and they may have been thinking it was a cockroach in the mashed potatoes, or something.

When I start doing restaurant work, I'm going to make a point of at least offering to show the manager every effect that I do, and make it clear that if there's anything I do that he doesn't want in his restaurant, it's out of my repertoire. Don't know if they would take me up on it, but I'll offer. I'll also give a written description of each effect as part of that. I'm going to be there to make him money and keep the customers happy.

Personally, I think The Web should never be done in any situation that I wouldn't do Fart-Toon in. It would be great with groups of adolescent boys, or in a halloween show.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:53 pm 
born to perform.

i think i am going to stop using it and what is fart toon i like the sound of that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:27 pm 

court wrote:
i think i am going to stop using it and what is fart toon i like the sound of that

You're too young for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

FartToon is from the same guy who gave us CardToon 1 and 2. In this one, the stick man eats some unidentifiable food item (I've seen it called a hot dog, burrito, hamburger, knish, all sorts of things), then farts out a noxious cloud of gas, which dissipates to reveal the selected card.

Robert V Frazier