View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: i need help at school doing magic
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:02 pm 
Penguin

every single time i do any trick everyone will just come up and grab the deck or will know how its done and tell everybody.i was doing the humming boird card everyone always while im in the middle of it they will search me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:18 pm 
Penguin

Ya, I would not recommend the Hummingbird Card in a school setting. Not only would the lighting be difficult, but it would be risky to carry the mechanism on your person for the entire day. Add to that the fact that most kids at school will try to mess you up in some way or another, or at least figure out what it is you're doing to make it work, and you've got yourself a contender for "Worst Trick to Perform at School in a Walk-Around or Strolling Magic Setting". ...I wouldn't recommend the Levitating Woman illusion, either :lol: . As for other tricks, I perform Ambitious Card, Two Card Monte, Card Warp, and Synergy all the time at school, to great success. I tend to stay away from gimmicked tricks at school, partly because I don't want to carry gimmicks all over my body, but also because I feel alot more confident knowing that my cards can be grabbed at (almost) any time during a trick, and not expose anything. I'm pretty sure that if someone's calling out the secret to a trick you're performing, you should try something other than the 21 Card Trick :wink:. I would stick to tricks like the ones I have mentioned above, and you shouldn't have these problems anymore. Peace!

Post subject: hmmm
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:27 pm 
Penguin

well if i do the two card monte they will probaly flip them over in the middle of it or mess me up somehow.im only in 7th grade most of them are jerks i try to perform to have fun and to enjoy everyone else because that is what i think magic is about but there are those jerks that will mess you up.i do the ambitious card too.sometimes my dlites if its dark my brass hot rod,drunk shuffle(gets good reaction i recommendend it)some other good ones but i try to keep it simple but not to simple i used to perform all the time but i barely do it now and now everyones dissappointed.

sorry about the typing im only in 7th grade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:50 pm 

That is the difference between "doing a magic trick" and performing. When you get older and learn how to perform magic that will not happen. You are obviously flashing while trying to do the trick, practice in front of a mirror longer before you try to do this in front of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 pm 
Penguin

go to the outs and 1 liners forum and also do a search. Perfect your magic so your magic is perfect, then blow those "jerks" or hecklers away
Good luck

IVAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:01 am 
Penguin

Don't perfom to them. It doesn't seem like they want to see your magic. Find people who want to watch you perform and perform to them. You might just want to keep your distance when performing, don't stand to close or they will grab at your cards. Also do good tricks for school, mostly close up tricks and don't bring any expensive gimmicks.
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:48 am 
born to perform.

I agree. You have to stop now. If what you describe is true, then you are in a no-win cycle that will ruin your magic future. You have to be patient and stop trying to show every gimmicked trick at school the minute you learn it. If you want to be the ultimate hobbiest, then buy a new trick every week and only show it to very select friends and family away from school. But if you have any magic seriousness at all, than you have to be patient and work for months or years developing your skill and performance abilities. It is late in the year. Decide that you won't show anything else to anyone at school until next year. Get some books or DVDs and really begin to work on some powerful stuff--build up some confidence to go along with it. You cant just walk in with a couple of tricks and be David Blaine. People are not required to react to you with astonishment, just because you want them to. I know they are being rude, but that is really a getting-along-with-my-peers-at-middle-school problem, not a magic problem. They apparently don't see you as a magician right now.

Post subject: Same problem
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:02 pm 
Penguin

I have the same problem i showed kids at school and they figure it out or try and mess the trick up. they ask a lot of ? while im performing. But i think i should do what you said. That will help so much in my magic.

Thanks
:D Ben

Post subject: dont let them do it!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:16 pm 
Penguin

i did have this problem but in the beginning explain how u dont want them to tuch your stuff and sometimes not everything is examinible wen i first started doing this i punched someone in the face because he mixed up my brainwave deck but dont do that. if they say anything just put the deck in your pocket and walk away trust me theyll ask for u to come bak

Post subject: Re: hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:51 pm 
Penguin

compton wrote:
well if i do the two card monte they will probaly flip them over in the middle of it or mess me up somehow.im only in 7th grade most of them are jerks i try to perform to have fun and to enjoy everyone else because that is what i think magic is about but there are those jerks that will mess you up.i do the ambitious card too.sometimes my dlites if its dark my brass hot rod,drunk shuffle(gets good reaction i recommendend it)some other good ones but i try to keep it simple but not to simple i used to perform all the time but i barely do it now and now everyones dissappointed.

i know what u mean same problem with me if u perform an effect for a friend they seem not amazed but if u show someone u dont know the same effect that ur friends werent amazed with theyll think it was the coolest thing they ever saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:22 pm 

In the 7th grade you should be studying not doing magic in school. You obviously have not learned how to pick out an audience yet. Wait until you can control a crowd before you try to perform

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:14 pm 
born to perform.

paddy *relax*, you seem to be stepping on alot of toes.

Post subject: Re: hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

compton wrote:

Erm... well... For flipping the cards over during the monte trick, you have to do Crowd/Audience Control. Next time film yourself while you are doing the monte to an audience, i see what i can give some advice on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:47 am 

Winder wrote:
paddy *relax*, you seem to be stepping on alot of toes.

No more than usual. Seventh grade is a time for learning, yes to have fun also, but learning. This kid is having trouble with crowd control. To avoid having all his tricks exposed and his reputation ruined, I said what I did.

If toes are being stepped on, get bigger shoes that way your toes aren't real close to my feet. What we do is called the Art of Magic, it is a way to entertain and delight others. Getting picked on while performing and being searched in order to learn the sectrets of magic is NOT entertaining.

I could have suggested he stop useing gimmicks and learn slieghts but in seventh grade I doubt he will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:05 pm 

I agree with Paddy. There is a place and a time for everything and in my opinion, magic should not be performed in school. Not only does it take away from your primary purpose of learning, but it is an inappropriate audience.

Have you ever sat back and thought about why kids in school grab your stuff and try to figure out your tricks? It's because they know you on a more personal level and as such, their sense of personal space is greatly reduced. And because they know you on this level, there is absolutely no chance for you to create a suspension of disbelief. You will always be that kid who does magic tricks - not magic.