View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:15 am 
born to perform.

Well... If they do that, i wouldn't perform it to them anymore. I am a straightforward person, i will tell them straight in the face. They need to learn some professional ethics, or they lose out in the real world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:19 pm 
Penguin

I wouldn't say magic is inappropriate for school, at least no more so than any of the other recreational activities kids engage in during the school day. So long as it doesn't interfere with a teacher's lesson or the learning of students, no problem. Of course if you do a monte on the school bully, you get what you deserve. ;)

As a teacher I've done some small tricks in study hall, and occasionally to introduce a concept in class. For instance I'd like to use "Strat-o-spheres" this year with the Law of Superposition which deals with how rock layers are laid down. Since the trick violates that law, I think it might be a good springboard.

Of course it is a lot easier for a teacher to put a gimmick back in the desk and move along than it is for a student.

Post subject: scan somebody list relly good tricks maybe at school
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:56 pm 
Penguin

Ive done magic for 3 years i am 14 and i always get lame tricks and i think there cool and every body els thinks there Edited so can somebody who know magic list some cool tricks to buy!!!!

So if u could somebody list tricks to buy maybe so tricks to inpress the people at school and girls

PENGUIN is soo cool ive used to look at other places but now its punguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:27 pm 
Penguin

stuff like this has been posted so many times, about what are good tricks to buy. most popular responses is probably stealth pen, scotch and soda. search around for the topic though, you'll find plenty of suggestions.

~a.C.

And about the tricks being "lame", maybe you need to practice the presentation more before showing them off.

Post subject: asdf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:22 pm 
Penguin

I always believe, after some bad experience, that doing magic in school is a really, really bad idea. Typically, from what I've found, kids turn it into a battle. Their intelliegence is, to some degree, insulted because they don't know how to do your trick. They are obnoxious and downright rude to avoid that. Therefore, they come out the winner of their own battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:57 pm 
Penguin

Hi,
I am a sophomore and have been doing magic since I was six. I would recommend doing self-working tricks that even the most suspicious heckler can't ruin. Given your age, you should probably check out John Tremaine's Magic and card tricks, a book that includes many tricks that work themselves and require little or no SOH. Things like the two-card monte are great, but only if peformed flawlessly, or close to it. Plus, spectators are quite unpredictable. If they suspect even the slightest thing they will grap at your apparatus or, the mother of all effect ruiners, look n their hand/turn their hand over.
While on that subject, here is what I say to try and avoid that:
-"Make sure NO ONE can see those cards"
-Explain how 3 Card monte is played, without looking at the cards, and say we are going to do the same.
-Tell them, while doing the fast switch, that at the end they are going to have to guess at the location of the cards.
-Tell them outright that, if they try only to ruin the trick, then they ruin it for themselves, for the audience, and for yourself.
I hope this helps. BTW, the first time I performed the two-card monte, I was 13. The girl turned her hand over and ruined it for herself and for me. I was so embarassed that I waited a whole year before attempting it again :oops: .

Hope this helps, at least a little :D ,
Sorry for the length, but I like being quite descriptive in my writing.

May all your days be Magical,
Bob