View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I have a magic job
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:39 pm 
Penguin

I have a job working at a pizza place.

I usually get only one person that is extreemly rude but last week I had just about everyone figure out a trick or say "we JUST WANT TO EAT" when they could just say no and I would leave.

but I want ot know how do you get people to know you are a magician :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:09 pm 
Penguin

First, are you performing for them before or after they have been served their food?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:47 pm 

How long have you been in magic?

Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you are doing tricks and not performing. I have yelled this out before, to be a restaurant magician you MUST be an IMMPECCABLE magician. You must PERFORM effects not do tricks. When you learn to be entertaining you will be performing magic, until then expect to get those comments.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:22 pm 
Penguin

1) before and after

2) I do perform effects and I add comedy and all the stuf that you see on tv and usually they don't give me a chance to even ask they just say " go away" or something to that effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:02 am 
born to perform.

Paddy hit the nail on the head, but anyway...

You could go up to the table and introduce yourself and say, "Hi, the manager of this restaurant has hired me to entertain the patrons with amazing and spellbinding magical effects and if you are interested, I can come back after you have finished eating. Until then, is there anything that I can do for you now?"

This is basically what Michael Skinner would say when he worked restaurants and, needless to say, he was prettey good at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:21 am 
born to perform.

Usually best to approach after the order is taken but before the food arrives. If the food arrives in the middle of your trick, your trick is over; fade! Unless they beg you to finish it. Pizza is best eaten while it's hot, so don't count on anyone ever doing that. Time your routine so it's always over before the food arrives, and everyone will be happier. Pizza takes 15 minutes to cook (unless they're selling it by the slice), and your routine should be at most ten minutes, and probably more like five.

Keep in mind that not everyone at a restaurant will have any interest in your magic, or talking to anyone else they don't have to talk to. It's nothing personal in that case.

Also, if most people are figuring out your tricks, that's a sign that you haven't practiced enough. Sorry, but it's true. You may have the magic effect down, but your timing or misdirection or storytelling is slipping.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:26 am 
born to perform.

Robert is right. People want to leave after they finish the pizza and it is usually a mess on the table. Skinner was working expensive Vegas restaurants and people would sit around and drink coffee for a while after a meal and the staff would clean the table well. When I was a waiter, you did not mess with people when they were eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:14 am 
born to perform.

chrisrkline wrote:
Robert is right. People want to leave after they finish the pizza and it is usually a mess on the table. Skinner was working expensive Vegas restaurants and people would sit around and drink coffee for a while after a meal and the staff would clean the table well. When I was a waiter, you did not mess with people when they were eating.

Haha. Yeah, you walk up to them and ask if it's cooked OK, and then you run away, never to speak again until they are finished. Occasionally bring refills, but do so without a word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:45 pm 
Penguin

nobody has asked this yet so i thought i would.what do you say when you walk up to the table?and also how did u get the manager to hire u?what tricks did u perform for him/her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:26 pm 

erfacemcer wrote:
nobody has asked this yet so i thought i would.what do you say when you walk up to the table?and also how did u get the manager to hire u?what tricks did u perform for him/her?

This has been asked so many times. Use the search. Also make sure that you are an impeccable performer before you try to work in restaurants. If you just know gimmicks you will not make it as a restaurant worker (well maybe as a dishwasher but not as an entertainer.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:44 pm 
Penguin

if i was a magician working in a restraunt the only thing i would say at their table is " are you gonna finish that".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

dont go up to people who are talking to each other. They probably wont want you to do a tricks. Also avoid groups on men. for some reason, most of them dont want to watch you and will try to figure out your tricks. for more info on restraunt work, use the search bar!
100th post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:11 am 
Emperor Penguin

[quote="Robert_V_Frazier"] Pizza is best eaten while it's hot

i highly disagree with that! :) i personally love it the next day after it has been in the fridge, but i agree with all the rest of your post. :lol:

i was offered a restaurant job recently, but i am pretty happy, and content with my small stage gigs. i have done some restaurant work, and it is a little too unpredictable, and randomized for me. it can be fun though, but i dont think i would want to depend on it for full time work. it is probably the most difficult to make a living at out of all venues, but then again none are really easy. also in my area there are not than many to consider. if i had more time for travel, that would be a different story. i was offered $30 an hour for 3 hours tops, 3 days a week. which aint too bad, but i dont really prefer venues that there is a risk that someone may not want to see magic. thats just me though.

my small stage shows are reliable, and i work up to 3 hours tops. typically the travel time does not exceed 30 minutes, my set up has a max. time limit of 30 minutes, (but i am usually set up earlier) shows are anywhere from 45 minutes to and hour, depending on the situation...sometimes up to an hour and a half rarely. the packing and trip back home is anywhere from 30 min to an hour. for the most part though it is a 30 min set up, one hour show, 30 minutes tops to tear down and get out of there, then i am home in less than 30 minutes. so two and a half hours to three hours is my typical work schedule. i earn anywhere from 125-175 dollars for three hours total, which is alot in my area. i could get more, but i am content for now, being i do this seasonally, and part-time. i am only able to do about 2-3 shows per month, and usually during the winter.

nothing beats doing something you love for a living, be it part-time, or full time. i chose to do magic part-time for now, as i do not want magic to become a chore, and possibly experience burn out. however i am still looking into owning a magic shop, as this has been a long time dream. my town needs something like that to promote interest in this great art. it is a tough call though, being you cant be sure how successful it would be. the only way i would do it, is if i did not have to depend on it for a living, but as a second income/hobby. so hopefully i hit the powerball soon, so i can just do magic everyday for fun in my shop, and just have fun! :lol: if it ever happens i will be sure to let you all know :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:28 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
Robert_V_Frazier wrote:
Pizza is best eaten while it's hot

i highly disagree with that! :) i personally love it the next day after it has been in the fridge, but i agree with all the rest of your post. :lol:

Yes pizza is great cold.

Post subject: Re: I have a magic job
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:39 pm 
born to perform.

emeraxld wrote:
I have a job working at a pizza place.

I usually get only one person that is extreemly rude but last week I had just about everyone figure out a trick or say "we JUST WANT TO EAT" when they could just say no and I would leave.

but I want ot know how do you get people to know you are a magician :?

You need to quit this job, and disappear out of the limelight for a few years until you become a great magician. No one should guess your tricks and if you are having that problem, then don't perform until you are truly ready!