View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: quick question
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:06 pm 
born to perform.

Do any of you guys know if restaurants will let you have a podeum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:08 pm 
born to perform.

podeum,like to perform? waist high or like shoulder high?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

like waist high so I wont have to do it on the place that they will be eating soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:29 pm 
born to perform.

ya im almost positive (ive seen magicians w/them in restauraunts)... but maybe if the restaraunt is strict and thinks that you have like explosives or sumthin

Post subject: Re: quick question
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:43 pm 

sk8board wrote:

First I assume you are asking about a podium and the answer is NO!!! You are there to help by entertaining. A podium is going to be in the way for the servers delivering food and drink. It is anothr obstacle for them to fall over. We are there as WALK AROUND entertainers not trip over magicians.

PLEASE!!!!! read some books about being a restaurant magician. It is not a job for a kid that has some gimmicks, it is a serious job that most of us do not NEED the tips we get because we charge the restaurant between $50 to 100 per HOUR plus meals plus tips. To earn that kind of money you have to be an immpeccable walk around magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:57 pm 
born to perform.

Well ,you could maybe make a thing that has a board waist level and has straps that go on your shoulders. It might be a good idea or not but, I will probaly do stuff on the table before the food comes or after.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
sk8board wrote:

First I assume you are asking about a podium and the answer is NO!!! You are there to help by entertaining. A podium is going to be in the way for the servers delivering food and drink. It is anothr obstacle for them to fall over. We are there as WALK AROUND entertainers not trip over magicians.

PLEASE!!!!! read some books about being a restaurant magician. It is not a job for a kid that has some gimmicks, it is a serious job that most of us do not NEED the tips we get because we charge the restaurant between $50 to 100 per HOUR plus meals plus tips. To earn that kind of money you have to be an immpeccable walk around magician.

doesnt it depend on where you are....different restaraunt have different areas of spacing....the richer, the more space

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="paddy"][quote="sk8board"]Do any of you guys know if restaurants will let you have a podeum?[/quote]

PLEASE!!!!! read some books about being a restaurant magician. It is not a job for a kid that has some gimmicks, it is a serious job that most of us do not NEED the tips we get because we charge the restaurant between $50 to 100 per HOUR plus meals plus tips. To earn that kind of money you have to be an immpeccable walk around magician.[/quote]

So you are saying that restaurants would want me to have to move their food to have a table? that is just rude. I never said that i wanted to use it for gimmicks. I wanted to use it for CARDS. Its rude to make people move their stuff for me. Come on get some manners. I AM NOT A STUPID KID

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:23 pm 

sk8board wrote:
paddy wrote:
sk8board wrote:

So you are saying that restaurants would want me to have to move their food to have a table? that is just rude. I never said that i wanted to use it for gimmicks. I wanted to use it for CARDS. Its rude to make people move their stuff for me. Come on get some manners. I AM NOT A STUPID KID

If you are going to be doing just cards in a restaurant, you are a stupid kid. Please go see a restaurant magician at work some place. If you are going to be using just cards you will be fired in a short time, I will gaurantee that.

Secondly, you do not need to lay down cards on a table.

But, lastly, a podium takes up space. The tables are placed in a manner to allow the most customers in a restaurant. If you come around with a portable podium to do your tricks on, how the edited will the servers get around you carrying hot food to customers.

THINK!!! You are there as entertainment, not as an obstacle course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

have not really had too much experience in this venue, as i am content with my stage work. i have however seen alot of opportunities present themselves recently. i was waiting in a jam packed lobby at a local restaurant, and ppl were very impatient to say the least. i thought maybe an entertainer would definitely be a good thing at this particular establishment. paddy, do you sometimes perform for these impatient, sometimes irate waiting customers in the lobby, or a just table to table basis? i saw about 20 ppl walk out in total, and i am sure if a magician would have been there (well there was one there, but not working at the time :) ) he/she would have saved the restaurant a heap of money, as well as make the waiting time seem alot shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:54 pm 
born to perform.

well... you gain some, you lose some... Maybe the restaurant ask the magician to do the table to table basis instead of at the lobby, sometime it's just the management problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:04 pm 
Emperor Penguin

no this restaurant does not have a hired magician, but one was there waiting to eat........ME! :lol: sorry if that was misleading. just looked like an opportunity screaming at me. as i said though, i do alot of stage gigs as it is, and doubt i would have the extra time to tackle this venue. i know it can be alot of fun, and even a nightmare at times from what i have saw, and read. i much prefer venues that are not as unpredictable, but have not ruled this venue out as a future prospect. :) keep in mind however i have been doing magic a very long time, and have done alot of homework, and i would not venture off into any new venue until i knew i was ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:08 pm 
born to perform.

Haha... you should be the magician for the evening ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:02 am 

sirbrad wrote:
... i was waiting in a jam packed lobby at a local restaurant, and ppl were very impatient to say the least. i thought maybe an entertainer would definitely be a good thing at this particular establishment. paddy, do you sometimes perform for these impatient, sometimes irate waiting customers in the lobby, or a just table to table basis?....

Brad, that is part of being a restaurant magi. I go table to table, however, when I see the waiting area getting about half full, I go there and work the crowds in the waiting area. Both areas of the restaurant are important to be in and the time spent in each of them is a balancing act that we have to learn. Also a good hostess or even the dining room manager will tell me "we have a 45 minute wait." That is all I have to hear and I am in the waiting area. I spend about 10 to 15 minutes there and then go back to the tables. Then when I see some people I entertained in the wait area I don't approach their table unless they ask or signal me that they want to see more magic.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:31 am 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
sirbrad wrote:
... i was waiting in a jam packed lobby at a local restaurant, and ppl were very impatient to say the least. i thought maybe an entertainer would definitely be a good thing at this particular establishment. paddy, do you sometimes perform for these impatient, sometimes irate waiting customers in the lobby, or a just table to table basis?....

Both areas of the restaurant are important to be in and the time spent in each of them is a balancing act that we have to learn.

Peter

i see. so you have to also be a trapeze artist as well. :) that would seem like alot of work if both the lobby, and table areas are jam packed. have you ever worked with a partner, or other magician to take some of the load off? or do you simply prefer to take home all the bacon yourself? :P i would hope that the demand for magic would not outweigh the demand for food. i can see it now......(angry looking ppl sitting at tables banging their forks and spoons on the table.....)"we want magic!!" we want magic!! :lol: sorry i am very sleep deprived as of right now, but i wonder if that was ever the case.
:D