View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Full time restraunt magician...
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:13 am 
Penguin

If you are like me when I started entertaing in restraunt you have many questions. Ask me and if I do not know I will find out for you.

Full time restraunt magician for over 12 years

Post subject: Re: Full time restraunt magician...
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:27 am 

davidbreth wrote:
If you are like me when I started entertaing in restraunt you have many questions. Ask me and if I do not know I will find out for you.

Full time restraunt magician for over 12 years

Don't know what a "restraunt" is but know you mean "." Please give us some of your resume so we know who you are. i.e. what restaurants have you worked at and where these are located. Also how long have you stayed at any one restaurant? Are you a full time restaurant magi or part timer who has another full time job?

I am a restaurant magi that has been full time for 5 years. been at a Texas Roadhouse for 4.5 years and at 3 Don Pablo's stores for 2 years now. Currently work at a total of 6 restaurants in 5 days every week.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

He's got a link to his website which has a bit more info on it. ;)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:23 am 
Penguin

Peter, read at the bottom of his post the bold letters. that'll answer one of your questions :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:20 am 

LuNaTiK wrote:
Peter, read at the bottom of his post the bold letters. that'll answer one of your questions :wink:

No it doesn't. I am asking for a resume so we can all judge the quality of any advice given to us.

Thanks Wayne, I did check his website. Looks good to me and it answered my questions.

Post subject: Restaurant (SPELLING)...
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:38 am 
Penguin

I am sorry that my spelling for the word Restaurant was not proper...hummmm. Good thing I was not offering my services as an English teacher.

Yes, I am a FULL time/working magician. Sunday is the only day I do not work.

www.davidbreth.com

Post subject: Re: Restaurant (SPELLING)...
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:03 pm 

[quote="davidbreth" Yes, I am a FULL time/working magician. Sunday is the only day I do not work.

[/quote]

Sunday is the day I have 2 restaurants. Get 2 times the weekend fee plus tips are bigger on Sundays because of family being together and Dad tips better.

Post subject: Re: Getting Sunday work in a restaurant...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:27 am 
Penguin

This may be a "big" day for performers, I have this one day set aside for Bible study, fellowship and prayer. Sunday is reserved as the Lord's day.

Have a phenomenal day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:16 pm 
Penguin

Kudos to you, David! Not many people stand up for their faith so I was really pleased to see that your response was completely faith-based. I was expecting something completely different. You surprised me but made me smile with your response.

As a fellow Christian, I also try to keep Sunday as family-oriented as possible. I will usually schedule work for any other day of the week - and will do magic jobs as long as they are not on a Sunday morning. (I'm a part-time magician)

I'm brand new to these forums and am impressed by what I've seen so far.

Blessings to you and hope you have a great week!

Dave D.
in sunny Sarasota, Florida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

I hope this little dispute is over. Sorry for the rough welcome David.

I'll try to get back on topic.

QUESTION:

What are your opinions on Card Magic in a restaurant? I've read that some magicians use only cards in their performances, but I assume that they work at restaurants with older crowds. Other magicians use little or no card magic in their restaurant routines with the insistence of everything being simple and visual. Pretty much, do you think cards have their place in a restaurant routine? Provided you have an entertaining persona, it shouldn't be too hard to grab and maintain attention with a quick opening effect followed by other interesting effects with good presentations... but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I'll still include coin magic in my arsenal...

Enough rambling... your opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:16 pm 
Penguin

addowner wrote:
Kudos to you, David! Not many people stand up for their faith so I was really pleased to see that your response was completely faith-based. I was expecting something completely different. You surprised me but made me smile with your response.

As a fellow Christian, I also try to keep Sunday as family-oriented as possible. I will usually schedule work for any other day of the week - and will do magic jobs as long as they are not on a Sunday morning. (I'm a part-time magician)

I'm brand new to these forums and am impressed by what I've seen so far.

Blessings to you and hope you have a great week!

Dave D.
in sunny Sarasota, Florida

Dittos on your post, and welcome to penguin to both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:31 am 

[quote="mysteriousone"]I hope this little dispute is over. Sorry for the rough welcome David...quote]

Sorry, I did not mean to give David a rough welcome. After being on the forums for a long time now I have seen posts ofering help like this before. Then when someone asked a question the "helper" said "I am 13 years old and just got the job last month." (That is an actual quote) So to avoid that scenario again I asked the question about his resume.

No offence was intended just want to get facts out in open.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
mysteriousone wrote:
I hope this little dispute is over. Sorry for the rough welcome David...quote]

Sorry, I did not mean to give David a rough welcome. After being on the forums for a long time now I have seen posts ofering help like this before. Then when someone asked a question the "helper" said "I am 13 years old and just got the job last month." (That is an actual quote) So to avoid that scenario again I asked the question about his resume.

No offence was intended just want to get facts out in open.

Peter

I think most of us knew where you were coming from... however David was new so he was probably not ready for it lol.

Post subject: Re: magical times in a restaurant...
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:25 am 
Penguin

Thank you for your kindness, I do understand the question for my resume'.
Though all of you have hurt my feelings...waaaa, waaaa...boo-hoo--tears, snot, blow my nose...he ha eh ha...yeah right. As a full time performer (12 plus years) I am used to people asking many questions.

Q. Cards in the restaurant SURE, but make it so you and the customers do not get burnt out on card "tricks". Present a mix of effects; be extremely entertaining (Comedy and YOUr unique style will help build your reputation).

Becoming the Best Entertainer I Can Be

Question:
"I have been doing magic tricks for a few years now and it seems that I have never been given the same opportunity to perform as my other peers have.
What am I doing wrong, what can I do to change?"

-Novice magician

Answer:
Do you live in a place where there is a magic studio or shop where fellow magi gather on a regular basis?

If so join them as often as you can, ask questions, lots and lots of questions!!! We have two ears and one mouth, who cares about your latest routine, do you want to be a busy entertainer or a by name only "magic" guy (..."Oh, look the magic guy...show us that one neat trick"...)?

Your best advice is not how to make money in the field you are delving into from those who have only read the "how to book", "watched the masters of walk around magic video collection twice" or ..."knew a friend that had a cousin, who was married to a guy named Billy Bob, that did a pick a card trick once at a truck stop and received a FREE cup of noodle soup and a coffee!!!

If I want to be a great football player do I ask my grandmother for pointers (though I love her dearly)? GOD FORBID-NO!!!. I want to listen to Dion Sanders, Ray Lewis, Johnny Unitis, etc.
If you desire to become a millionaire will you listen to a broke person. NO!!!
Of course not.

The field of entertainment is like any serious endeavor, you must:
1. Be willing to do what others will not, to have what others do not
2. Be teachable (no matter how well I do my comedy magic routine, when a senior magi is present who has had success doing what I am now attempting, and he approaches me and gives me advice the one liners may be dated, but baby those principles will always be the same!).
3. Continue to be HUMBLE!!! People do not want to be 'fooled', they desire to be entertained - period! Realize when you are entertaining for people in a restaurant, you are not at a FISM, IBM or SAM convention...no awards, nothing to prove. The audience is looking to you as a way to take their moments and turn them into exquisite and fun filled memories.
4. When a fellow or senior magic attend your walk around sessions or a show, do not become fear filled. "Oh, what did I bring that he/she might not know" or "Wow, this is embarrassing, I am performing the professors nightmare. I will not approach his table with magic."
Entertain him and his party, you may be surprised to find out that he will be your biggest fan at that moment and bring serious attention to you. I type this from experience. While performing at one of my restaurant shows, a master magician came in to dine with his wife. Upon approaching their table, I began my patter (Which I had learned from him), and the illusion (I knew he knew, no doubt), after the first effect he and his wife began to clap and cheer. All the guests in the restaurant began to wonder what all the hype at the next table was about...my friend's, this started a buck wild evening, that has only intensified!

Hope this helps,

-A fellow entertainer

Post subject: Re: Web links...
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:31 am 
Penguin

Thank you, I appreciate this much. The links that are not active at this moment will be reactivated as soon as the web master has edited them for my new shows and times.

Thank you, all input is a huge help.