View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: make a LIVING doing this???
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:28 am 
Penguin

has anyone heard of someone making a living off of restaurant magic? b/c someone said that this is all they did on some other forum... anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:52 am 
Penguin

Yes there are lucky people who make a living from doing Restaurant magic. But they usually are doing corporate gigs and private shows to supplement the restaurant income, which usually isn't much compared to these other opportunities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:13 pm 
Penguin

how do magicians usually make a living then...just doing magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:58 pm 

Baxter wrote:
Yes there are lucky people who make a living from doing Restaurant magic. But they usually are doing corporate gigs and private shows to supplement the restaurant income, which usually isn't much compared to these other opportunities.

Wrong. I have been a full time restaurant magi for the last 5 years. Yes I do b'day parties but they only bring in an average of 10 parties a month and you can n ot live on that. I do, however live exclusivly on my restaurant earnings. Any other income is savings or buying an extra thing for wife and family.

I am not "lucky" I work for a living. When not in a restaurant perfoming I practice and rehearse to always improve my act. When not doing that I am marketing or selling. When not doing all that I have paperwork that needs to be done or the tax people will have my butt. I put in a good 60 hours a week working. It is called "being self employed."

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:33 pm 
born to perform.

if you are lucky enough you can but i wouldn't try to

200 post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:58 pm 

court wrote:
if you are lucky enough you can but i wouldn't try to
200 post

You make your own "luck." There is an old saying that is very TRUE "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, the body of man can do."

Before anyone gets a bra in a knot, the correct rules of English say when the sex is unknown or can be either sex, the masculine gender will be used. But the important thing is that if you are good enough, and if you take the courage to TRY you will succeed. All it takes is effort.

I started in magic at 54 years of age. After I got god enough to work a restaurant I started working one night a week for a little over a year, then added another, then went full time 5 years ago. If I can do it at my age kids like you can do it if you want to. You just have to work a little harder.

That is the reason I do not put up with a lot of the crap, because I know that if someone gets off their lazy butt they can do it. It takes some effort to write in proper English, and to practice real magic. If you leave the gimmicks alone and work on slieghts you can be a very successful magician.

Post subject: possible
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:21 pm 
Penguin

i think it could be possible to make a living doing this but i wouldnt want to im only 14 and ive been doin magic for quite a while now and i always make money or get tips at a restaurant all u have to have with u is your raven, a deck of cards and any monte you want no gimmicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

the raven is a gimmick btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:15 am 
Penguin

haha yeah, thnx for the tips paddy, you remind me of gandalf... (thats a compliment) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:30 am 
Penguin

I met someone down in Florida who did restaruant magic for a living, but that was probaly not the only thing he did. It was his break when I wanted to ask him a few questions, but he was grouchy so I never got to talk to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:06 pm 
born to perform.

thedarkone wrote:
I met someone down in Florida who did restaruant magic for a living, but that was probaly not the only thing he did. It was his break when I wanted to ask him a few questions, but he was grouchy so I never got to talk to him.

where at in Florida?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:02 pm 
Penguin

Location: The prophesy of infedelity is merely the stimulation of a process less reconized by ME!!!
i dont know i cant realy see myself making a living out of doing restaurant walkaround but hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:02 pm 
Penguin

cowboy4ever wrote:
thedarkone wrote:

where at in Florida?

I can't remeber, but It'll come to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:42 pm 
born to perform.

paddy, thanks for the inspirational boost. I'm starting over in magic at 45 years of age, and I was beginning to wonder if I had any chance of competing with people who started out at 15 and stayed with it steadily until they were in their mid-twenties. I think I can make it now, after all! I'm going to shoot for being semi-professional this year, and see where I can take it from there. I have some talent, and I'm willing to learn to be entertaining, not just puzzling. It's a matter of practice, education, dedication, and hard work. I'm going to make it!

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:51 pm 
Penguin

I personally feel that anyone here would be lucky to earn a living in magic. Not because they have had a break and don't work but because they have the chance to earn a living doin their love.