View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: is it resteraunt magic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:09 pm 
Penguin

is it resteraunt magic????? resteraunt magic is wen u perform on a basis doing magic for people..... but someone told me that street magic in a resteraunt is considered resteraunt magic

Post subject: Re: is it resteraunt magic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:20 pm 

silvestri wrote:
is it resteraunt magic????? resteraunt magic is wen u perform on a basis doing magic for people..... but someone told me that street magic in a resteraunt is considered resteraunt magic

They're wrong. Well, maybe. I don't know what "resteraunt" is. But if you mean "restaurant" magic, they're still wrong. Restaurant magic is magic that is performed in a restaurant by a magician that is HIRED by the restaurant to entertain the customers.

Street magic is performed, amazingly, on the street corners. It is done by itinerant people as a means of getting tips. Some call this "begging" because you are doing "tricks" (usually gimmicks that are quick but entertaining) and asking for money. It is not begging but in some jurisdictions you can be arrested under the "panhandling" laws.

Big Difference.

Last edited by paddy on Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:29 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Street magic is performed, amazingly, on the street corners. It is done by itinerant people as a means of getting tips. Some call this "begging" because you are doing "tricks" (usually gimmicks that are quick but entertaining) and asking for money. It is not begging but in some jurisdictions you can be arrested under the "panhandling" laws.

Just to stick up for all my street magic friends...

What you said is technically correct, BUT you make it sound like street magicians are fly-by-nighters who divy their time between 30 second D'lite performances, begging for cash, and running from the cops.

That's just not fair.

For many people, street magic is not only an art form but also a way to support themselves. In reality (unlike David Blaine specials) buskers usually do full shows of 20-30 minutes, and are (by necessity) MUCH more skilled than your average hobby magician-- they do not simply rely on "quick but entertaining" gimmicks. When they do collect a hat, it is far from "begging." In fact, there is porbablly more "art" in the process of a busker "passing the hat" than in most restaurant magician's entire repertoire. Though technically you can be arrested in some places, most performers carry liscences to perform and are completely legit.

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were trying to express, but street magic is one of my favorite magical genres.

And to address the original question (as if it hadn't already been)-- street magic and restaurant magic are very different things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:13 pm 
born to perform.

Well, you can always refuse the "tips".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

You need a liscense to perform street magic legally. If you don't have a performers liscense (and I believe it goes by area), then you can't make money by doing street magic 'legally'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:16 pm 
Penguin

Pretend that you dont want tips, but when tey give them to you take them, thats what I did when I was a man of the streets (hobo).

That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

mugician wrote:
You need a liscense to perform street magic legally. If you don't have a performers liscense (and I believe it goes by area), then you can't make money by doing street magic 'legally'.

Well, i think this is required. Not sure with street magic, i don't go out into the street finding people. Hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 am 

mugician wrote:

Don’t know what a "liscense" is, but if you mean license that depends. Every city has different laws re: busking (performing for tips on the street) some require a "busker's license" (what we have here in Cincinnati OH) some make it illegal altogether. Some don't care.

Street magic is a very good way to make a living and I know people who make GOOD money doing it. Danny Hustle (in Boston) Gazzo (Boston and London) just to name a couple. It is hard but it is good.

Whatever, the local cops will define what you are doing on their own and treat you accordingly. Some may tell you to leave; others arrest you for panhandling or worse, for running a con game (theft by trickery is legal term.) Just make sure that you check with the local authorities before beginning and that you are ready to accept consequences of your actions if you are wrong.