View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: appearing cane+restaurant walkaround?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:33 am 
Penguin

hm, i was wondering if any of the magicians go to people at restaurants, and while doing a card trick or whatever explain that they need their cane to tap the deck. then they produce the cane or whatever, and then going like: "wow, it's too big!". i mean, using the appearing cane as a gag. if any of u tried it or think it's a good/bad idea plz say so... it can also use as an opener, coz it's VERY visual, u can explain that u have ur cane in ur pocket, but u take out a small hanky instead, it gets a little laugh. but then u make the silk transform into the cane, and then u can go into ur short routine.
i think approaching with something visual can be done instead of asking the table if they want to see some magic. if ur'e good enough, u would know if they want to see some magic or not by their way of being bored or if they have kids at the table or whatever...

plz tell me what u think about the cane idea, i think it can fit nicely into restaurant walkaround.

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:32 am 

Tomer, the key word is RESET. You have to reset the cane and after opening it up, you would have to go to a back room to reset it again. Also in a crowded restaurant the opening of the cane might surprise some lady at a nearby table and she would let out a "hellacious" scream. Cause some embarrassment all around.

Peter

Addendum

At the ring meeting last night some fool brought his appearing cane. It was a good metal one. He was showing off and when it opened he had it pointing down. It hit the metal folding chair and bounced out of his hand onto the floor. Man when it hit the chair it was LOUD!! Strong spring.

Peter

Last edited by paddy on Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:36 pm 
born to perform.

Hey tomer,

I highly dought it is a good idea. I do not know from personal experience, but I do have appearing cane and think it would be a bad idea because of the space. Also the reset would be hard because people would want to see it at a different table who only saw a little bit of it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:34 am 
Penguin

oh yeah, now that i think of what u guys said it is kind of a bad idea... but what if i go with the vanashing cane? i don't think it would make much of a surprise, only problem is the reset... well, i guess that in restaurant work u don't want any tricks that needs to be reset, coz u don't want to go to the back every 15 min to reset ur tricks...
i asked this coz i wanted an idea to get the attantion of the specs, and if i see they enjoy it, i go into my routine. maybe i could just show my hands empty and take a table napkin/hanky out from my first and go as i blow my nose with it.
i also wanted to ask how do u think sponge balls go into the restaurant work? obviously u won't do a full routine, but i think sponge balls can do wonders, coz their visual, great for kids and adults, no reset, and u can end the routine at anytime u desire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:20 pm 
Penguin

Sponge balls are great for restaurant work. A little tip from experience is to make sure they hold there hands over the middle of the table.It doesn't look great for a magician to be scrabbling around under the table trying to find the ball the volunteer dropped on the floor.

Maybe in certain restaurants you could use the appearing cane occasionally, it might be fun. the guiys are right about reset time and watching out for other people. It could cause havoc in a crowded restaurant:
"Sorry about your eyeball, madame, just take it out of your soup, suck it clean and pop it back in the socket. It should be fine...."

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:29 am 
born to perform.

I think the main problem is just the space available. You dont want to end up smaking people ( or their food/drink) Also it might not be that great of a close-up trick. They are ment for more stage.