View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: whats patter?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:19 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 May 2004
Posts: 22
whats patter?



newbie question....yeah i know.




-Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 2793
Location: Little Rock
You're not working a restaurant, are you?

Patter is the talking that you do during a routine. It is used to increase the enjoyment of the routine (unless you are David Blaine) and also to aid in misdirection as well a direction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:36 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 470
Location: Paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.... I mean England
Patter basiacally means talking. It can be anything really but its usually a story or something which go's along with a routine which gives it purpose and makes it more interesting.

An example would be going up to a stranger on a street with an invisible deck and talking about having a dream about them last night that they'd pick a certain card, getting them to name it and then revealing it (bad example I know)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 2793
Location: Little Rock
teammylow wrote:
Patter basiacally means talking. It can be anything really but its usually a story or something which go's along with a routine which gives it purpose and makes it more interesting.

An example would be going up to a stranger on a street with an invisible deck and talking about having a dream about them last night that they'd pick a certain card, getting them to name it and then revealing it (bad example I know)


Be careful though about how you phrase the "I had a dream about you last night," if they are of the same sex. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Dec 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Florida
Some tricks, such as Color Monte, require a certain patter line (story). Others are best done not talking at all (most linking rings routines). Sometimes, patter is used as misdirection, as in Paperclipped, where Jay Sankey asks a math question to distract the audience for a second while he does the secret move.

Patter can improve or kill any trick. Use it sparingly, like spices in cooking. Never say anything while performing that is not required to improve the effect. (Of course, that's different for different people and effects. A comedy routine may well require cracking some one-liners and puns that would not improve a straight routine.) Avoid stating the obvious: "I am now removing this perfectly ordinary deck of cards from the box." Yeah, we can all see that. Don't babble. Don't use words to run over dramatic pauses in the routine.

Robert V Frazier

P.S. If you want to use the "dream" line about the Invisible Deck, I'd advise saying, "I had a dream, and I saw this one card, and it was really huge. I thought it might mean something, so I got out a deck of cards when I woke up, found that card, and reversed it in the deck. What did you say the card was that you're thinking of?" They tell you. "You're not going to believe this, but . . ." and reveal the face-down card.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 1984
Location: Denver,Co.
chrisrkline wrote:
teammylow wrote:
Patter basiacally means talking. It can be anything really but its usually a story or something which go's along with a routine which gives it purpose and makes it more interesting.

An example would be going up to a stranger on a street with an invisible deck and talking about having a dream about them last night that they'd pick a certain card, getting them to name it and then revealing it (bad example I know)


Be careful though about how you phrase the "I had a dream about you last night," if they are of the same sex. :)



Now I wonder why balducci thought you were a girl ?!? maybe he liked you!

lol Just Kidding!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:35 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 2793
Location: Little Rock
elimin8or23 wrote:
chrisrkline wrote:
teammylow wrote:
Patter basiacally means talking. It can be anything really but its usually a story or something which go's along with a routine which gives it purpose and makes it more interesting.

An example would be going up to a stranger on a street with an invisible deck and talking about having a dream about them last night that they'd pick a certain card, getting them to name it and then revealing it (bad example I know)


Be careful though about how you phrase the "I had a dream about you last night," if they are of the same sex. :)



Now I wonder why balducci thought you were a girl ?!? maybe he liked you!

lol Just Kidding!!!!


LOL. Lets not get too deep here. I never liked Freud that much anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:37 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 1984
Location: Denver,Co.
scarry thought though....is'nt it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 1199
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Nothin'. What's the patter with you? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:05 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 23 May 2004
Posts: 609
Location: Realm of Magic
Patter - Talking About something related to the tricks you performing or some other stuff to misdirect the spects and etc. Sometime a story or a joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 290
Location: Belfast
Patter: be the sound of tiny foot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:50 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Jun 2004
Posts: 429
Location: Bay Area, California
Patter: Something they say during baseball games.

"Hey patter patter patter....."

Hey wait a minute! Now I realize why my team always called me an idiot and stuck me out in right field! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:16 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 10
This is Banana234

Direct all of your anger from these post towards magicmandan as they are all his fault.

Join me for a better magic world. Penguin is a very unethical company and is ruining magic shops.

£llusionist
L&L Publishing
Ninja 1
Elevator
Dai Vernon
Master of Ellusions
Top Hat Magic
Murphy's Magic Supplies
Hank Lee's Magic
Ronjo
Ammar
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 468
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Well Banana234,

That was certainly a helpful and encouraging post........NOT!

If you don't have anything nice to say....then you are welcome to leave. I don't understand why some people feel it necessary to slam someone else so bad. If you have some specific information to back up your claims that Penguin is so unethical and is ruining magic shops, then please share. Otherwise your claims won't carry any more weight than the paper they are printed on.

Again, if you don't like it here then leave. Some of us have had a very good experience with Penguin magic, have appreciated the hard work they put in to making a wide variety of magic available at a very good price. They also have (in my own experience) the best customer service out there.

If you haven't experienced that, I'm sorry. I'm sure the Penguin customer service people would be more than willing to hear your complaints and would do their best to correct any flaws or incorrect procedures. But, they aren't going to be able to make progress and grow if they don't hear from people like you. Griping on the boards only makes people mad. Do something about it through the proper channels and you might actually accomplish something worthwhile.

If you leave, good luck to you wherever you go. If you stay, then please clean up your posts and try to be at least constructive in your criticism - and do a little research to make sure it is warranted.

Magically,
Dave
(and no, I don't work for Penguin. I'm simply a customer.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 08 Aug 2003
Posts: 2248
Location: UK, England.
Temporarly locked, this wil be unlocked in a couple of days time.

This is just so the Moderators have more proof against 'banana234'


Thanks..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.