View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how old?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

hey! i do street mmagic and im 13 almost 14. Am i to young to get a job in a resteraunt. If so, when could i star (what age) thanks alot!

~ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:54 pm 
born to perform.

I would probaly wait a while until you get older just to get taken more seriously.

-FReds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:52 pm 
Penguin

dont you have to be a certain age to work, even if your just entertaining.(I think the legal age to work, although i dont know, is 15 1/2)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:46 am 
Penguin

hm, i don't think ur'e aloud to post ur age... just state that ur'e young. anyway, if ur'e almost 14, then u've probably havn't been into magic very long time, u should browse this forum, read some books about the subject, and hen decide if ur'e up for it. if u want to start the restaurant work, u have to be an EXCELLENT magician. if u havn't done a single show or just a few, ur'e deffinetly not ready yet. if ur'e a performer like every weekend or so, then u can think about getting into restaurants.
i persoanlly do lots of shows, and i'm still not ready for the restaurant work, i need to practice more and learn more tricks till i'll be ready.

best of luck,

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:56 pm 
born to perform.

tomer wrote:
hm, i don't think ur'e aloud to post ur age... just state that ur'e young. anyway, if ur'e almost 14, then u've probably havn't been into magic very long time, u should browse this forum, read some books about the subject, and hen decide if ur'e up for it. if u want to start the restaurant work, u have to be an EXCELLENT magician. if u havn't done a single show or just a few, ur'e deffinetly not ready yet. if ur'e a performer like every weekend or so, then u can think about getting into restaurants.
i persoanlly do lots of shows, and i'm still not ready for the restaurant work, i need to practice more and learn more tricks till i'll be ready.

best of luck,

Tomer

i've been into magic for almost 6 years [started at 8]. I've done street magic and even do paid preformences. So skill isn't the issue, more of what freds said about being taken serious. Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:06 pm 
born to perform.

well i think if the restaurant likes you then they could hire you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

hey, I had a hard time finding a job just like you. I am now 14 almost 15 and my first real job was at a restaurant at 13 years old. My advice is keep looking and eventually someone will hire you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:34 pm 
Penguin

Legal age to work is 15 and you may only wpork sat and sunday but you can work part time at 16 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:21 pm 
Penguin

TMK123 wrote:
Legal age to work is 15 and you may only wpork sat and sunday but you can work part time at 16 :)

Haha! In England (where i live) i think we can work any age over 13 but between certain times, but can work any day! (as far as i know)! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm 

TMK123 wrote:

That depends on what state you are in. In fact some cities have different child labour laws tahn the states. However none of this applies in this type of situation.

If you are doing restaurant magic, you are an entertainer. You are NOT an employee of the restaurant, you are working for yourself doing magic for the restaurant. Ergo (a little Latin for you) no permit is needed.

What is needed is experience that a teenager can not have and excellence in performance that comes with age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:21 pm 
born to perform.

i made topic on this, but noone replied, so i'll share it here. In order to do paid preformances such as resteraunt work, not just tips, but like an hourly wage, do you need a buisness licence? if so, do you just get them at the city hall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:57 pm 

flyfisher08 wrote:
i made topic on this, but noone replied, so i'll share it here. In order to do paid preformances such as resteraunt work, not just tips, but like an hourly wage, do you need a buisness licence? if so, do you just get them at the city hall

Not necessarily. It depends on your jurisdiction. I have a "vendor's license" issued by the state of OH because without it I can not buy balloons and other things wholesale. Check with you local authorities. The authorities can tell you if you need a license and where to get it. In my jurisdiction I had to go to the county Treasurer's office and when I registered my business name I had to go to a different office to do that.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:57 pm 
born to perform.

when you say authorites, do you mean the police? So would i just call the local cops and ask (not 911)? Thanks!

P.S. what is whole sale, is it like buying straight from the company who sells the stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

flyfisher08 wrote:
when you say authorites, do you mean the police? So would i just call the local cops and ask (not 911)? Thanks!

P.S. what is whole sale, is it like buying straight from the company who sells the stuff?

Those permits/liscense are usually issued by the municipality. Call your town hall or if registrations have been privatized, any registries place. Where you get marriage liscneses, vehicle registration, trade name registration, etc.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:17 pm 
born to perform.

i contacted a local magic shop and they said you only need a buisness licence if you pull in $3000 or more a year. Is this true? i think it wwould be