View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: how old?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 1052
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
hey! i do street mmagic and im 13 almost 14. Am i to young to get a job in a resteraunt. If so, when could i star (what age) thanks alot!

~ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Posts: 2055
Location: Atlanta, GA
I would probaly wait a while until you get older just to get taken more seriously.

-FReds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Posts: 288
dont you have to be a certain age to work, even if your just entertaining.(I think the legal age to work, although i dont know, is 15 1/2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:46 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 404
Location: Israel
hm, i don't think ur'e aloud to post ur age... just state that ur'e young. anyway, if ur'e almost 14, then u've probably havn't been into magic very long time, u should browse this forum, read some books about the subject, and hen decide if ur'e up for it. if u want to start the restaurant work, u have to be an EXCELLENT magician. if u havn't done a single show or just a few, ur'e deffinetly not ready yet. if ur'e a performer like every weekend or so, then u can think about getting into restaurants.
i persoanlly do lots of shows, and i'm still not ready for the restaurant work, i need to practice more and learn more tricks till i'll be ready.

best of luck,

Tomer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 1052
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
tomer wrote:
hm, i don't think ur'e aloud to post ur age... just state that ur'e young. anyway, if ur'e almost 14, then u've probably havn't been into magic very long time, u should browse this forum, read some books about the subject, and hen decide if ur'e up for it. if u want to start the restaurant work, u have to be an EXCELLENT magician. if u havn't done a single show or just a few, ur'e deffinetly not ready yet. if ur'e a performer like every weekend or so, then u can think about getting into restaurants.
i persoanlly do lots of shows, and i'm still not ready for the restaurant work, i need to practice more and learn more tricks till i'll be ready.

best of luck,

Tomer


i've been into magic for almost 6 years [started at 8]. I've done street magic and even do paid preformences. So skill isn't the issue, more of what freds said about being taken serious. Thanks guys!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 4210
Location: Crystal Minnesota!
well i think if the restaurant likes you then they could hire you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Posts: 816
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
hey, I had a hard time finding a job just like you. I am now 14 almost 15 and my first real job was at a restaurant at 13 years old. My advice is keep looking and eventually someone will hire you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 337
Location: Twilight Zone
Legal age to work is 15 and you may only wpork sat and sunday but you can work part time at 16 :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Dec 2002
Posts: 56
Location: england
TMK123 wrote:
Legal age to work is 15 and you may only wpork sat and sunday but you can work part time at 16 :)


Haha! In England (where i live) i think we can work any age over 13 but between certain times, but can work any day! (as far as i know)! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
TMK123 wrote:
Legal age to work is 15 and you may only wpork sat and sunday but you can work part time at 16 :)


That depends on what state you are in. In fact some cities have different child labour laws tahn the states. However none of this applies in this type of situation.

If you are doing restaurant magic, you are an entertainer. You are NOT an employee of the restaurant, you are working for yourself doing magic for the restaurant. Ergo (a little Latin for you) no permit is needed.

What is needed is experience that a teenager can not have and excellence in performance that comes with age.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 1052
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
i made topic on this, but noone replied, so i'll share it here. In order to do paid preformances such as resteraunt work, not just tips, but like an hourly wage, do you need a buisness licence? if so, do you just get them at the city hall


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
flyfisher08 wrote:
i made topic on this, but noone replied, so i'll share it here. In order to do paid preformances such as resteraunt work, not just tips, but like an hourly wage, do you need a buisness licence? if so, do you just get them at the city hall


Not necessarily. It depends on your jurisdiction. I have a "vendor's license" issued by the state of OH because without it I can not buy balloons and other things wholesale. Check with you local authorities. The authorities can tell you if you need a license and where to get it. In my jurisdiction I had to go to the county Treasurer's office and when I registered my business name I had to go to a different office to do that.

Peter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 1052
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
when you say authorites, do you mean the police? So would i just call the local cops and ask (not 911)? Thanks!

P.S. what is whole sale, is it like buying straight from the company who sells the stuff?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 5297
Location: Canada
flyfisher08 wrote:
when you say authorites, do you mean the police? So would i just call the local cops and ask (not 911)? Thanks!

P.S. what is whole sale, is it like buying straight from the company who sells the stuff?


Those permits/liscense are usually issued by the municipality. Call your town hall or if registrations have been privatized, any registries place. Where you get marriage liscneses, vehicle registration, trade name registration, etc.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 1052
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
i contacted a local magic shop and they said you only need a buisness licence if you pull in $3000 or more a year. Is this true? i think it wwould be


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.