View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Routines
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:39 am 
Penguin

When you guys do walk around or restaurant magic what effects do you normaly have in your routin? And how long does your routine last? I need advice from other magicians because, in the future I might get into some restaurant magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:31 pm 

How long have you been doing magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:35 pm 
Penguin

There isn't really a length of a routine in walk-around. You just have to have a 'feel' for it. You have to know when you've hit your climax with one group, and then go to the next. 2 main rules for ANY performance especially walkaround:
1) Give them more than they expect
2)Leave them wanting more

Always remember those rules when performing. These are essential elements to have a great performer.

Nick 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:19 pm 
Penguin

I have only been doing magic for about a year maybe even less. I usually do street magic and earn tips by doing that. But when I get a little older I want to maybe get a job at a restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:37 pm 
Penguin

I am not a restaruant magician although I do walkaround maigc.
I carry a deck of cards some and some coins. Normally while walking around i do about 3-4 tricks and if people want more they will tell me or follow me to my next stop.

--I believe you have my stapler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:42 am 

I am a restaurant magician and that is why I asked how long you have done magic. You need a minimum of 4 routines each with 3 tricks. These have to be varied with coins, cards, mentalism, any other area you can do, and NO GIMMICKS.

Now comes the good part. If you do not keep learning and adding new effects to your inventory, people will get bored and you will be out of a job in a month or two.

This business is not for beginners.

Peter

Last edited by paddy on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:38 am 
Penguin

Quote:
These have to be varied with coins, cards, mentalism, any other area you can do, and NO GIMMICKS.

Again I disagree with this statement. Arguments can be made in either direction, but it boils down to looking at things from the perspective of a spectator. To them there is only an effect. If presented PROPERLY there should be no difference in the mind of a spectator as to which method was used! Check out the work of David Regal, a very accomplished bar/ close-up magician. He has effects out now that blow even magicians away using nothing more than simple rough and smooth principles. Powerful magic is powerful magic regardless of method. If you're worried about making yourself replacable...worry about your interaction with the audience as other experienced people on these boards have said numerous times. If the audience like you, and come back to see you again, your job is safe...bottom line.
Now don't take that as an excuse not to learn sleights which are absolutely invaluable. Knowing how do to a routine multiple ways can save you if spectators come back with other friends and ask to see a routine you've already done for them.

Last edited by Cardshark13 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:56 am 
Penguin

Yes, it is necessary to have about 12-15 perfectly mastered effects broken into 3-4 routines. You never want to stay at a table for longer than 3-4 effects. I stay longer if they continue to tip me. Now as for Paddy, the "No Gimmick God", he has a point, however, as stated by cardshark13, gimmicks have their place in magic. Magicians have historically relied on gaffs, splits, double backs, double faces, TTs, and other gimmicks. Those who heavily rely on gimmicks and gimmicks only may encounter problems. I wouldn't put it as dogmatic as Paddy does (NO GIMMICKS), but then of course he is dogmatic about everything. My point is that a good gimmick if presented correctly and often combined with a sleight, is quite moving and makes for good magic. Only your audience is the judge of what is good or bad magic. The power to be entertained lies execlusively with your spectators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:01 am 
Penguin

Quote:
My point is that a good gimmick if presented correctly and often combined with a sleight, is quite moving and makes for good magic. Only your audience is the judge of what is good or bad magic. The power to be entertained lies execlusively with your spectators

....This is exactly the point I was getting at...just probably stated far more clearly than I could manage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:02 am 
Penguin

No mate, I based my analysis off of your insight. You made it clear for me. Thanks for contributing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:54 am 

danold22 wrote:
...Those who heavily rely on gimmicks and gimmicks only may encounter problems. I wouldn't put it as dogmatic as Paddy does (NO GIMMICKS), but then of course he is dogmatic about everything. ...

Yes I am and there is a reason for my dogmatism. Most of the people on this forum are kids. I mean 12 to 15 year old kids. They HAVE TO learn that magic is not all gimmicks. It is ALL PERFORMANCE.

I use gimmicks in my acts, but I have been performing for a long time and I had practiced and rehearsed the effect long before I ever did it in public. Therefore people don't even know that I am using a gimmick. Most of the kids I see pull off the scotch and soda and think they are magicians, but show them an effect with a regular deck of cards that uses the Jordon Count or even a top change and they're lost.

Gimmicks are good to start with and then once you have reached the intermediate to master stage they are good, but for most of the kids here, in order to become real magicians, I stress not relying on gimmicks.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

danold22 wrote:
Yes, it is necessary to have about 12-15 perfectly mastered effects broken into 3-4 routines. You never want to stay at a table for longer than 3-4 effects. I stay longer if they continue to tip me. Now as for Paddy, the "No Gimmick God", he has a point, however, as stated by cardshark13, gimmicks have their place in magic. Magicians have historically relied on gaffs, splits, double backs, double faces, TTs, and other gimmicks. Those who heavily rely on gimmicks and gimmicks only may encounter problems. I wouldn't put it as dogmatic as Paddy does (NO GIMMICKS), but then of course he is dogmatic about everything. My point is that a good gimmick if presented correctly and often combined with a sleight, is quite moving and makes for good magic. Only your audience is the judge of what is good or bad magic. The power to be entertained lies execlusively with your spectators.

:lol: good old paddy, you either love him, or hate him. please no resonses with your opinions. lol. he does have points in the fact that you should be very proficient in sleights before you even think about performing professionally. you need to be able to do magic upon moments notice if need be, and can not 'always' rely on gimmicks. however i agree that some gimmicks out there are just magnificient, and i will use both gimmicks, and sleights combined to obtain the maximum results possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:07 pm 
born to perform.

What kind of patter do you use in your restaurant magic. Do you have it kinda already rehearsed or do you kinda make a conversation with a group and make stuff up spur of the moment. And also how do you transition from one type of effect to another.

Post subject: Gimmicks and Gaffs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:42 am 
Penguin

I agree, do not use Gimmicks so sto speak, but for me, i find 'Gaffs' are extremely useful, and are often more effective to the audience.

Gaff - An object the audience doesnt know about... they shouldnt really see it or be aware if it, eg. a double faced playing card.

Gimmick - An object a spectator clearly sees that the magician intends for them too see it as an object different. eg. A Brass Box, or something of that nature.

Hard to explain, but i hope you get the picture....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:23 am 
Penguin

when i do walk around magic, (street, restaurant) i prefer sticking to the cards. power lunch would be good for a restaurant i suppose, and 3 domino and color montes are excellent street tricks. card tricks i would do are killer bee, quick trick, here then there, or maybe even supersonic. notice, these are not huge, in depth tricks, they are quick and simple. those are the key tricks i think. you wouldnt want to have some sort of long ace assembly, or some in depth trick, lots of explaining. keep em brief. :D