View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:41 pm 
born to perform.

I'd like to add to their advise, when doing tricks especially with cards don't get too complicated that they don't even understand what the climax was. This kinda goes with what he said about not doing long tricks. You want your tricks to be very visual and not require a lot of thinking on the part of the spectators because they are there to be entertained not to be witness to your great skill and ability to fool them. And remember none of this is directed towards any person in particular, this is just some advice that I'd like to share from my experiences. And remember you are not performing to fool or belittle your audience with your abilities, you perform to entertain and create a sence of amazement, that is the most rewarding part of magic, don't take it for gratit(sp).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:52 am 
Penguin

i am not just performing card tricks i hav loads of other kind of magic which i will be doing.con squeeze,power lunch,bitten coin,hot rod quite a few more i just cant be bothered to name them all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:51 am 
born to perform.

magicman0000 wrote:
i am not just performing card tricks i hav loads of other kind of magic which i will be doing.con squeeze,power lunch,bitten coin,hot rod quite a few more i just cant be bothered to name them all

These are just more gimmicks man. Learn sleight of hand. I know it's harder than the gimmicks, but you can't become a restaurant magician through just gimmicks. If your not going to put the time, effort and practice into learning sleights, your going to go nowhere, and your going to ruin it for the good restaurant magicians out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:50 am 

magicman0000 wrote:

For the bite out quater read my comment in "Top 5 Retaurant Routines" about it. BAD thing in restaurants.

From the way you have responded to the advice everyone has given you I say "mazel tov." Already gave my prediction on how long it will last if you ever get a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:51 pm 
Penguin

I know I am repeating what has already been said, but you just need to chill out a bit. You’ve received advice from people who really know what they are talking about. I suggest you re-read what they have already taken the time to share with you, this time without getting butt-hurt and offended by it. What has been said is aimed as constructive criticism, not personal attacks.

It’s all already been said, just read it, and be willing to change.
And please, for the sake of every magician here, don't take your hot rod into the restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

Try to stay away from gimmicks. I think that's what everyone's trying to say. What if they ask to see that sneak a peak pack of cards, or coin bite coin? Gimmicks can be good if you finish clean, but try to stay away from them as much as possible. Learning a few IDs is a good idea. Most of them don't use gimmicks. Also, like said before, have many different routines. A good reference is this forum. Many people have posted routines and tricks. Hope this helps. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:42 pm 
born to perform.

magicman0000 wrote:
yeh well i have more routines then that that was just my best one.
Also i dont need to put coins nd mentalism and all that crap in cauze i dont do that magic i just do cards and close up not really much coin work so i am not changing my tricks just for ur sake.
plus everyone on the forums i have read messages from have told me just to have one routine with 3 gd tricks.Also they have told me to use gimmicks and all the gimmicks i use reset quick and queens out of control iz not even gimmicked nor is the stealth pen really.i can put whatever tricks in my routine that i want cauze it iz my routine and u cant change it so just leave it.
i probaly have more confidence in my magic then u do so y try and destroy my confidence i can do resturant work if i want and u cant change that.Anyway there are a lot of pros who just do all cards tricks so i dont have to put money mentalism levitation etc if i dont want 2.

if you're mad at his criticism, dont ask for it

you arent changing your magic for his sake, its for your AUDIENCE's sake...they will get bored to death with card tricks, my audiences do all the time.

here's what i would do...sit down and write all the tricks you know in these categories:

-Cards
-Coins
-Everyday objects(pens, rubberbands, etc.)
-Mentalism

then try to incorporate one trick from each category into a routine that flows smoothly. Then come up with fitting patter...then you will have 3 or 4 or 5 good solid routines that you can rotate between. And pros do not just do cards...they do other tricks as well, but specialize in cards...and besides, YOU AREN'T A PRO so dont act like one till you become competent in more than one area of magic

and stealth pen IS DEFINITELY gimmicked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

magicman0000 wrote:

Coin Squeeze-GIMMICK
Bitten Coin-GIMMICK
Hot Rod-GIMMICK

you need sleight of hand...get some books my friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:06 pm 
born to perform.

i retract one of my previous statements...you do not need routines....as B_Magic puts it you need an ARSENAL of effects that you can do well. Play off of your spectators and do the tricks THEY want to see...not the next trick in your routine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:27 am 
Penguin

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... 459#333459

these are my routines that i came up with in the last year or so. I have 6 routines with 3 tricks each which is 18 tricks altogether. 8 of them are card tricks and the other10 are all different.(coins, rings, rubberbands, money, 3 ring circus,mentalism,*spongeballs,etc) you really DO need m more that just cards. especially if those ars the card tricks you want to do. my friend and mentor Kostya Kimlat has been doing restauraunt magic in Florida for 6 years and he told me that he either does all cards for a table or no cards. im saying this b/c his card magic is top of the line. he can entertain for hours with just cards. nothing is boring unlike queens out of control or whatever else you have like that. personally i think a routine must have more than cards. i have been doing magic for 5 years and i've come up with and practiced like crazy these routines for the last year. I think that i am about ready. i think you might want to wait a while before messing it up for magicians that are really ready and already established magicians.

IVAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:10 am 

miniserb725 wrote:
i retract one of my previous statements...you do not need routines....as B_Magic puts it you need an ARSENAL of effects that you can do well. Play off of your spectators and do the tricks THEY want to see...not the next trick in your routine

Good stuff. Glad to see someone has at least heard anything I've had to say here. Hehe. :D