View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is this too long to short or just about write for a routine?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:04 pm 
Penguin

my routine will be
1.synergy
2.jokers wild
3.stealth pen
4.sneek a peek
5.nfw or queens out of control

for the last table of my session i will finish with the ultiamate ace assembly or maybe nemesis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:11 pm 
born to perform.

If you were to do this in a walk around situation (since I'm not really sure what this is for), it would be sort of odd taking out a normal pack of cards, then putting them away (taking out a pen ), then taking out a completely different kind of deck, putting it away and taking out 4 or 8 cards (or however many are needed for NWF-which should be examinable, since it is the last effect your using). This is just a passive thought from a laymans point of view.

Post subject: Re: Is this too long to short or just about write for a rout
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:54 am 
Penguin

magicman0000 wrote:
my routine will be
1.synergy
2.jokers wild
3.stealth pen
4.sneek a peek
5.nfw or queens out of control

for the last table of my session i will finish with the ultiamate ace assembly or maybe nemesis.

also i would do things other than cards. especially in restauraunts you should do other things. dont get me wrong those are all awsome tricksand i love cards but do stealth pen and money magic coins, and if its restauraunt work you should have your last trick be a money trick if you accept tips. as for your question its probably too long for a restauraunt. 3 good impactful tricks are usually the way to go in a restauraunt.

ivan :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:59 am 
Penguin

k thanks for the info hopefully i will be doing resturant magic so i will 3 knockout tricks then.
how does this sound?
1.sneek a peek
2.stealth pen
3.queens out of control

then I will have nemisis on me for back up if they want 2 see more tricks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:37 am 

You need as a minimum 4 routines of 3 tricks each. You are not ready for restaurant work. You have 5 card tricks. OK you do table #1 then go to #! right next to it and they have already seen your whole act.

Learn MORE. You need coins, cards, mentalism, and NO GIMMICKS.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:27 am 
Penguin

yeh well i have more routines then that that was just my best one.
Also i dont need to put coins nd mentalism and all that crap in cauze i dont do that magic i just do cards and close up not really much coin work so i am not changing my tricks just for ur sake.
plus everyone on the forums i have read messages from have told me just to have one routine with 3 gd tricks.Also they have told me to use gimmicks and all the gimmicks i use reset quick and queens out of control iz not even gimmicked nor is the stealth pen really.i can put whatever tricks in my routine that i want cauze it iz my routine and u cant change it so just leave it.
i probaly have more confidence in my magic then u do so y try and destroy my confidence i can do resturant work if i want and u cant change that.Anyway there are a lot of pros who just do all cards tricks so i dont have to put money mentalism levitation etc if i dont want 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:54 am 
Penguin

Sorry but one routine definitely won't cut it. Four would probably be the absolute minimum! I say this because often at a restaurant, you'll be doing your routine for a table get up and move to the next one. If you did your job well, the people from that first table will want to see some more and may keep a close eye on what you're doing at the next one. Not to mention that performing the same 3-4 tricks over and over again for a few hours a night will become extremely boring and your performance will suffer. Just try to work on expanding your repertiore and add some variety to your work. Take some serious thought about whether or not restaurant magic is for you, and be willing to work on every one of your routines that must be continually updated for months and months before even attempting to try them in a professional setting. Good Luck with constructing and PERFECTING your routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:09 am 
Penguin

Cards, Cards, and MORE CARDS!!! Come on, variety is the spice of life. People at a restaurant, or people in general for that matter, want to see more than cards. Trust me, you need to expand into different areas of magic. When I first started, I wanted to have at minimum one great card, coin, mentalism, fire, and kids appropriate effect. Keeping that outline in mind, I have built my routines to encompass all of those. Some of them overlap but there is variety that's what is important. I wouldn't recommend trying to do restaurant magic with just cards. What will you do if you encounter a kids table, and you will? A lot of Kids will get bored and some can't follow the basics of a card effect. Please expand and wait until you are ready. Unhappy kids make for unhappy parents which means they don't or won't take their kids out to a restaurant. Who are you trying to fool???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:25 pm 

magicman0000 wrote:
...plus everyone on the forums i have read messages from have told me just to have one routine with 3 gd tricks.Also they have told me to use gimmicks and all the gimmicks i use reset quick ....

OK I am glad that you have been working as a full time magicians in restaurants for over 5 years. All your experience and all. Your career will last, at the most, 3 weeks before you're fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:58 pm 
born to perform.

magicman0000 wrote:
Also i dont need to put coins nd mentalism and all that crap in cauze i dont do that magic i just do cards and close up not really much coin work so i am not changing my tricks just for ur sake.
plus everyone on the forums i have read messages from have told me just to have one routine with 3 gd tricks.Also they have told me to use gimmicks and all the gimmicks i use reset quick and queens out of control iz not even gimmicked nor is the stealth pen really.i can put whatever tricks in my routine that i want cauze it iz my routine and u cant change it so just leave it.
i probaly have more confidence in my magic then u do so y try and destroy my confidence i can do resturant work if i want and u cant change that.Anyway there are a lot of pros who just do all cards tricks so i dont have to put money mentalism levitation etc if i dont want 2.

I hope your joking, your just kidding with us, right? I'm not a restaurant magician (and neither are you), but I know that for sure that you would be done (fired) in no time (as Paddy said). Your telling Paddy, a full time restaraunt magician, that you don't need anything but cards? That's insane. Cards are great, but become extremely boring to an audience after a while. And your saying that coins, mentalism are crap? You've obviously never performed any coins or mentalism, so you wouldn't know peoples reactions to them. And people told you to use only gimmicks on THESE forums? You obviously have not done a very thorough job on checking these forums. And, more confidence than Paddy? Lol, your kidding? Paddy's done this for years, your just a kid starting in magic, where as Paddy has put endless amounts of hours/years into magic. Also, it seems you just wanted people to accept your routine, because if you really wanted to learn, you would be soaking up the information Paddy and the others are giving to you, instead of arguing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:16 pm 
Penguin

queens out of control iz not even gimmicked nor is the stealth pen really
Quote:

What are you talking about? stealth pen is a gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:20 pm 
Penguin

how do you get a resturant magician job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:57 pm 
born to perform.

magicman0000 wrote:
yeh well i have more routines then that that was just my best one.

Then why tell us ? we gave our comments and advice, but since you insist your routine are ok, why post and ask us ?

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:31 am 
Penguin

Ok, how about you listen and stop being a little smart [edited] know it all... You cant post on a forum and expect everyone to agree with your ignorance then have a cry when we dont agree. Frankly if that is your best routine, you should not even be thinkin about resturant magic...

Get tricks that are short and visual to start...
Do 1 or 2 longer effects that build up, multiple climaxs
and finnish off with something visual that will leave them wanting more...

do that with all your routines, get 4-6 routines I would say, practice 4-6 hours a day, and in a few months you might almost be ready..

At the moment, you arnt even close, if you think resturant magic is for beginners that want to get a quick buck from magic, you are 100% wrong... This is for your benefit, we are all trying to help you, do you think we are typing all this just for fun??? Just to flame you? No we are trying to help, and it sounds like you are definetly not ready by your attitude, and I think you know that deep down inside....

Here are a few effects I reccomend...

Vanish a ciggarette/silk
Sponge Balls
Renegade
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (Practice Practice Practice)
Ahhh a 2 card monte
Ambitious Card is a must
Card to Ceiling if the resturant will allow it
Card to shoe
Card to Wallet
Paperclipped
The stealth pen would probably be nice...
Try a bill switch of some sort...
Club Sandwich
Invisible Deck (Be prepared to do a deck switch)
Crazy Mans Handcuffs
Pinnacle

Dats about all I can really think of now... But just work on it, and remember there wont be alot of table space...

This is my advice, if im wrong on anything guys please correct me....
Im out,
Dylan

Post subject: Queens out of control.. bah
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:33 am 
Penguin

Oh yea and queens out of control... Dude wot are you thinking, PLEASE!!! It is far too long, needs too much space, peopel wont be concentrating, its not even that amazing.... If your gona take any of my advice, take this. Dont do a long card effect.....