View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:53 am 
Penguin

Paddy's right guys. One inexperienced magician (if you can call him that) has blown it for restaurants that I've tried to work in as well. I'm in Florida and had one or two other places say that they tried it in the past and it didn't work.

Here's an idea....you want to get a job in a restaurant.....get hired as a waiter! Believe it or not, but that's actually how I got my start in magic. I was a waiter, bought Scotch and Soda from a magic shop in a flea market that I came across, and started doing the trick when I dropped the check at the end of the meal. Now please don't go blasting me! I was young and inexperienced, but I practiced that darn trick until I could do it in my sleep. I also wasn't promoting myself as a magician. I was a waiter that just happened to do a neat trick. I gradually added more and more effects, but only carried one or two to do at the end of the meal. It was just something that I enjoyed doing and my customers appreciated the little "extra" that I gave them. It got to a point where customers would come in and ask for the "magic" guy. The restaurant loved it because it was bringing customers in for repeat business.

When I actually got serious about the magic, I started sort of "apprenticing" with a local professional magician. He helped me work on presentation of some of my effects, patter, timing and some very general card magic - although I did very little card work. This help was essential to helping me become a better magician. To this day I still work with (and now FOR) this magician and fill in for him at his professional restaurant jobs. He always gets very high remarks and comments about me from the managers of the restaurants because I am very professional in my presentation and very friendly and personable with the guests. I'm not saying this to sound big-headed or anything - just to make the point that it takes a lot of practice, studying and more practice to be comfortable enough to make a good impression and be the kind of professional entertainer you need to be. And remember, you DO represent the entire magic community when you work out in the real world. Whether that is performing kids shows, street magic, restaurant work, or whatever. Always be professional and pleasant.

My 2 cents - for what its worth.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:20 pm 
Penguin

Dave--- Thanks for the great insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:44 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, danold22! I wrote that in hopes of, I don't know, maybe inspiring someone not to give up or maybe take the easy way out. I hope that something in there is useful to someone. Its just my experience and the way I tried to go about getting into this business. Glad at least one person appreciated it. I've noticed on a couple other posts that you and I seem to think very much alike! ha ha

Anyway, thanks for the nice comment.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

yes indeed, sneak your way into the restaurant using deception, and express interest in other types of restaurant jobs that they have available, such as waiters, dishwashers, cooks, bus boy, etc. then use them as misdirection tools to actually get your foot into the door, and hopefully someday make the transposition to house magican! ingenious! :lol: