View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good order for restaurant walkarround??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:38 pm 
born to perform.

Do you guys think this is a good order for restaurant walkarround??

- Torn but not forgotten
- sponge balls ( I lost one of mine so I need new ones )
- Invisble deck
- sucker is born every minute

Do you guys suggest anything else???

Last edited by quickmagic3 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:14 pm 
Penguin

You'll need more than that for a restaurant gig. Do some coins and mentalism as well. Here are my routines:

A.
1. Sucker Born Every Minute
2. Bill Change (I ask for a twenty and Change it into a one then I say Well shows over and act like I am walking away).

3. Fish Sandwhich
4. Quad Fold Bill with the one I just produced

B.
1. Bigger Finish
2. Lethal Tender
3. Coin in Bottle
4. Pen Through Dollar

C.
1. Invisible Deck
2. Dough
3. 3 1/2 of Clubs
4. Floating Dollar

D. (Tables with lots of Kids)
1. Sponge Balls
2. Shrinking Die
3. Vanishing Silk
4. Nickles to dimes
5. Sneak-a-Peak

E. (Bar Area or Adult only tables)
1. The Web (and only to the macho guys, even then this is usually subsituted with Scotch & Soda or Hopping Halves)
2. Color Star Mentalism
3. Public Transit
4. Pyro Perception

F.
1. Red Hot Mamacita
2. Sucker Born Every Minute
3. Shadow of Doubt
4. Twisted Sister

I have all of these completely memorized and well practiced. I can jump from any one of these into the next. I can stop short if their food arrives sooner than anticipated and flow right into the next at another table. The only thing I would like to do more of in the above routines is coin work. You should have a good mix of coins, cards, mentalism, and other close up effects. I also do animal balloons for kids. I try to set up my routines to vary from cards to mentalism to coins and close-up. Just get a mix. I have had great success with the close-up stuff like pen through dollar etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

yea I know I need more but I already have lots at home that I dont need...thx for sharing your stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:38 pm 
Penguin

No problem. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:40 pm 
born to perform.

I would like to know the "story" your routines go w/. As, like why each effect follows another. I have a TON of great tricks, but need help on routining them. I wish I could stick all my tricks into a box and it would separate what went w/ which with a snap of my fingers......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:14 pm 
Penguin

Flip 2005-- Here is basically what I do.

If I am going to do Routine A for a table here is how I start.

I approach the table identify myself. Tell them I work for the restaurant and ask if they would like to see some magic. They almost always say YES. Here what I do (reference the above Routine A. to follow along)

I start with the opportunity to win $100.00. I patter about the 1 in 4 odds and how that is much better than vegas, and bang I am into Sucker Born every minute. After I wind up with the $100 in my envelope, I thank them for playing. I then ask it they have any $ larger than a $10.00 bill like a $20, $50 or $100. The larger the better obviously... I take their bill fold it up and make it disappear. I then tell them the show is over and pretend to walk away. This always gets a laugh. I return to the table and then produce a folded up one dollar bill. I tell them there was a $19.00 finder's fee and that 1 buck is all that is left. I wait for the laugh and then produce their $20.00 or whatever. I ditch my TT and $1.00 in my pocket and pull out a deck of cards. In the deck is my Bigger Finish Gaff. Now I tell them I am switching gears and I do Fish Sandwhich as a card trick. When I end the trick, I set up my force card for bigger finish. I then put the cards into the case, leave it on the table. I reach into the same pocket that I ditched my TT and pull out my quad fold bill. I'll say "remember this dollar, your change from the finder's fee." I say "watch closely" and I do the quad fold. They are amazed. I am now ready to leave (as I have been here awhile). If they ask to see one more, I take the deck of cards (which has been sitting on the table the whole time) I take out the deck that I did Fish Sandwich with earlier and I pull out the Bigger Finish Gaff with the deck and proceed to do one final card trick. The big 10 of hearts appears in a spec's hand and I leave them drooling for more.........

I love the versatility of Bigger finish because it can be my closing effect or my opener at the next table. It just depends.

I hope this gives you an idea of how I move from one effect to the next in my routine. You just have to find your style and go with it. I can drag this routine out longer if I want or I can speed it up as well. I can cut Fish Sandwhich if I need to or as in some cases, their food arrives, I finish the quad fold and am gone. Every table is different. I like to chat a bit with them and always end by telling them to enjoy their meal and come back again.

Hope this helps. I'll post the patter for my other routines if you want.

Last edited by danold22 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

I'd like to see them...It would help me making my routines as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:35 pm 
Penguin

No problem: I have them memorized so it doesn't take long.

Routine D (Lots of Kids at the Table) although I do this for Adults too.

I do my standard intro and start out with sponge balls. I do the standard sponge ball routine making one jump from my hand into the spec's hand and so on. They usually ask how it was done. I tell them I am a magician and I can shrink things (make them small). I then produce a die from my pocket, shrink it right in front of their eyes. I usually let one of them hold the wand etc. for participation. Sometimes if they request it (and since they are kids they always do) I make its original size again. I then say well shrinking is not all I do I can make things disappear like this silk scarf. I then do the vanishing scarf, I bring it back and ask if they want to see a coin trick? I have nickels to dimes set in my pocket and I use a wand to press down on it to produce the dimes. I say no routine is complete without a card trick and I do sneak-a-peak. This is a simple card and color change and the kids love it. Bang just like that I am ready to move on. Always thanking them and ecouraging a return visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:46 pm 
Penguin

Routine E (Adult only)

Again standard intro, I ask how they are doing and what not. I ask who is related to who if there are couples at the table. If it is a guys night out I'll inquire where their wives, girlfriends are etc. They respond and I say "Oh what tangled webs we weave, speaking of webs, I need a volunteer and then do the Web. When that is done I say "that was kinda of freeky wasn't it, I'll have to tell the management to hire an exterminator." Then I say well not as freeky as reading your mind. Yeah really.... and I do the Color star mentalism routine (this is where I make a prediction that they will pick a cetain color star of the three I hold in front of them." It works, like all mentalism works, everytime. They love it and want more. I produce a deck of cards, move into public transit and then with the same deck of cards I do pyro perception for a closing effect. They are blown away and I am on my way to the next table.

Last edited by danold22 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 pm 
Penguin

Routine C

Standard intro.... Tell them to imagine they have an invisible deck... yeah we all know the patter to ID. Then I borrow a dollar or larger bill perform Dough asking them not to report me to the treasury dept. for destruction of U.S. currency. Now I ask them to leave that unharmed bill on the table and if they want they can leave it there when they leave too. (This hints that it could be a nice tip for me but I know I am going to float it to close at this table so that is why it is left out.) Next I produce a die and a deck of cards. I put my hand to my mouth and fake cough inserting my IT end for the floating dollar to come. I do the 3 1/2 of clubs effect (this is semi lame but it is one of those 2-3 ranked effects that I throw in there and a die mixes it up a bit and sets up my floating dollar). 3 1/2 of clubs is an old comic gaff and there is no shuffling in my method and so the IT doesn't get in the way at all. (another reason I put this effect where I do). **Now this is important*** The deck I use for the 3 1/2 of clubs is also my anchor for my IT for the floating dollar finish I do to close this routine. I float the 10 or 20 or what ever bill I used in Dough and more often then not when I thank them and go to give it back they tell me to keep it. Now I'm on to the next table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:04 pm 
Penguin

Flip2005 --- Hope this helps you. Again, be creative come up with your own original patter. Yeah some of mine is cheesey "tangled webs..." but it works for me and that is what is important. I'll post Routines B and F at some other time. I gotta go. Peace. :o :o :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

Could you tell us your "story" for routine B and F ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:37 pm 
Penguin

Ok Quick and Flip: Here's what I do for Routines B and F. By the way I prefer to use the term patter rather than story but I undestand what you are asking for.

Routine B (see above for enumerated list of effects)

Well like I said back when I outlined Routine A. Sometimes I end Routine A with Bigger finish other times I start routine B with it. Let's assume I start routine B with Bigger Finish.

Again standard intro would you like to see some magic? I say I'm going to start off with a card trick. I force the 10 and patter about concentrating on their card and melting the four into one. BAM... the big ten appears. Now I transition to lethal tender. Heres how I do it. (I have made my own CC for lethal tender and I use the same deck I just did Bigger Finish with to force the CC to the spectator. Then I take out the wallet, patter about the two coins and continue with the trick making the coin switch places right after I slap the CC (the card they freely choose from the deck) on top of the half dollar on their wrist. After that I put the cards away in one pocket, I do a thumb pinch and get my quarter ready for coin in bottle. This is really cool. I say, "OK I just did a trick with a Half dollar and I know it was confusing because it switched places. Perhaps it is because you were not use to seeing half dollars. Let me use a more common coin." I pull out a quarter. Now if they are having a beer or bottle of wine and the beer bottle is empty or the wine is empty and it has not yet been picked up by the server, I ask if I may use their empty bottle. (Now if they don't have an empty bottle I use mine. It is a green colored beer bottle that works great. I ask them to take the quarter and try to get it into the bottle. They can't I say "let me try" and I do the coin in bottle handling and bang there is a quarter in the bottle and I show everyone at the table the Q inside the bottle. I then get it out allowing them to examine the Q that just came out. (Sorry I won't expose how this is done if you have coin in bottle you know or can figure it out). After that Q is out of the bottle I keep with my theme of confusion because of the type of money being used. I say, "Ok you missed out on the half dollar, we tried a trick with a Q and I know it went in and out of a bottle and that was some what confusing because you couldn't get it in the bottle and I was able to so if you are still confused lets try a dollar." "After all the quarter has been weird lately with all the states on the back of them and what not." "Lets stick to a good old american $1.00. I ask to borrow a buck and then I do pen through dollar to end this routine. I end by thanking them "for coming along on this magic money mystery and I hope they enjoyed the show."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 pm 
Penguin

Patter for Routine F:

Again standard intro, I am a magician I work for the restaurant would you like to see some magic while you wait for your food? Yes...Ok let's start out with a simple card trick.

I do RedHotMamacita for them and when it is over I say "how about a chance to win some money?" I am setting up for Sucker Born Every Minute. If they have been drinking a lot or there are a lot of drinks at the table , I say "Ok here's your chance to win $100.00 that might just cover your drinks if you win" They laugh and order another drink and I continue on with Sucker BEM. When that is done I say "Well we could do it again but I'll make a prediction now who will win the 100.00" "Speaking of making predictions, lets mix some mind reading with a deck of cards" Now Shadow of a Doubt is the name I have given to this effect. I don't even know what its real name is but it is the effect off of the Card Splitting with Martini DVD. It is an awesome effect with a flashlight and a card. You have to make your own gaff card on this one. I produce a flashlight (most restaurants are somewhat dimly lit to begin so this works well. I force a card. Show them my prediction using the flashlight (the prediction is not the card I forced but when the card showing the prediction is turned over it is their card. People love this effect the DVD is worth buying just for this effect. I end this routine with more mentalism twisted sister.

Now I have played around with this last routine and I sometimes add Scotch and Soda or hopp'n halves just so I have a coin effect mixed in with the mentalism and cards. Sankey's Leaving Home is used in this Routine as well. I particularly like mentalism and so that is why this routine may seem mentalism heavy.

Anyway that's it for what I have done stone cold. I am working on new routines and like I said, some of them are subject to change like Routine F with the addition of coins to balance the mentalism.

Good Luck Hope this helps. None of this is patented or copyrighted so please take it and use it if you think it will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:04 pm 
Penguin

Danold you are the man thanks for the time you put into these. This is the information that i needed. Thanks again.