View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ramon's Topit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:40 pm 
Penguin

Hey Penguins.....well I did my "search" so hopefully noone will say "do a search first"! ha ha There are a few threads out there about topits and I'm not asking what it is or how it works. So, with that said, here's my question:

I am looking into purchasing a topit in order to do vanishes, switches, etc. and would like to know if anyone uses Ramon Galindo's version of the Topit - or if anyone has heard anything about it. I read up on Ramon's website that he is a retired mastor tailor and magician so that leads me to believe that he is rather skilled - especially where clothing is concerned. One other review I saw said that Ramon's topit is an even better version than Ammar's - and I've seen how good Ammar's is. So that is some pretty high praise. One of the nice things about Ramon's is that it can be used with your jacket completely buttoned up! Sounds too good to be true, but I've got demo videos to prove it. Looks awesome.

Anyway, if anyone has heard about this item or has other recommendations about topit use, feel free to respond away. I'll soak up as much as I can. I'm trying to be as informed and educated about the product as I can be so when I make my purchase it has been well thought through.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:55 am 

There is also a "Jacketless Topit" that I have seen advertised in The Linking Ring that claims you can use it without a jacket to cover it. I am thinking of getting that, plans and a video are $60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:02 pm 
Penguin

Well, I actually watched the demo videos of Ramon performing with his topit. I'm not sure if it is just me being a magician, but I was able to see every single move he made and I don't really like the move you have to do to make the cards or coins vanish. It isn't ANYTHING like the really deceptive "throwing motion" that Ammar has made so famous with his topit. To me, the move is so obvious. I'm now wondering if Ramon's topit functions with your jacket open. Looks like I need to do a little more research into this thing. Although it is nice that it can be done with the jacket buttoned up, I usually don't have my jacket buttoned. So, I actually prefer one that is best with a jacket open.

If anyone has heard anything - pros or cons - I'd love to hear them. With the price that Ramon is asking for his topit, it better be workable both ways. Otherwise I'll be shelling out the few bucks for Ammar's version and going on my way with that one.

Thanks for your reply Paddy. I've heard of a "suspenders" version of a topit as well. Interesting thought. Might also be something to at least look into - especially when a jacket wouldn't work for the situation.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

I had purchased Dan Sylvester's Suspended Dimension and I sold it soon after. The concept was cool, but Dan goes on to tell you that he doesn't even use the topit himself! He says he knows a few magicians who do, and he shows you a few vanishes and productions, but I just wasn't all that impressed. Also, I usually don't wear suspenders, so it just wasn't for me.

--Richard Allen