View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Easier then you think
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:55 pm 
Penguin

In my opinion I have found restaurant work fairly easy, I warm too the people at the table and make them feel relaxed which in turn makes me feel relaxed. I chooser to use simple hard hitting card magic( ambitious card, 2 card monte) and get great reactions, after a couple of effects everyones haveing a good time.
I think that in these dicussions people are reprsesenting the diners as cold hearted people, demmanding good routines and good effects, which is totally wrong, there here to enjoy there meal and have a good timeAND SO SHOULD YOU.
I dont expect people too bite my head off, I couldnt care less how wrong you think i am and writing a reply saying im wrong isnt going too change my mind. Ive only written this post too remind people that magic should be fun for both you and your spectators, not too get into arguments with people i dont even know

Post subject: Re: Easier then you think
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:45 pm 

zedz wrote:
I think that in these dicussions people are reprsesenting the diners as cold hearted people, demmanding good routines and good effects, which is totally wrong, there here to enjoy there meal and have a good timeAND SO SHOULD YOU.

I don't think anyone here has tried to give the impression that people in restaurants are ruthless people who demand the best. In fact, I can't think of one post I've read in this section that remotely gives off that impression.

The thing that a lot of the serious workers in this forum try to show people is the importance of being good at what you do, and being dedicated to the art and to the job. Of course magic should be fun and enjoyable...that goes without saying. But like any art, there is a dedication and zeal that should come with performing. It's fun, yes, but it shouldn't always be "easy" work. Just like painting, sculpting, drawing, sports, or any other endeavour, magic is something you must work at to get good. And in a working situation, you must be constantly aware of many different aspects (beyond the magic you perform) and be working to improve those aspects if you are going to truly succeed and be the best for yourself and for the people you perform with.

In my 6 years of working in restaurants, I've found it to be very enjoyable, but also very trying at the same time. It's fun because I love it, but its also hard because I love it. I'm always learning new things, even learning things when I'd rather be doing magic (like finding ways to communicate better, how to read people better, or working on new self-promotion techniques).

So yes, magic should be fun and easy...because you enjoy it. But it also should be difficult because your dedicated to getting better and doing the best job you can for the spectators and the restaurant which has given you a job. And getting better, no matter how much you love something, isn't always the most fun and easy thing to do. There is no professional in ANY job they love that will tell you that the road there was an easy one. Dedication isn't always easy.

But your advice is good, and I think its just as important to recognize and remember that magic should be FUN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:03 pm 
Penguin

Maybe I should have also added that you shouldnt walk into the routine without a care in the world, I also take into account that it is very hard putting in alot of practise and makeing my tricks perfect. I have a large card magic repetior (dont no if ive spelled it wrong) and work hard too do my best, I think that after doing magic for a certain time, your just relaxed anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:32 am 
Penguin

Zedz, do you work for a restaurant, or are you saying you perform basically street magic in diners and restaurant settings? If you are on the payroll of a restaurant I'm curious, which type you perform at. It's not so much the restaurant patrons that you have to be aware of. They are receiving complimentary entertainment for dining at the establishment. The difficult part of restaurant work is constantly reminding the management why it pays having you there. They easily forget that Wednesdays used to be completely empty before you started performing on that night. At times you can just seem like an added expense that disrupts the serenity of his restaurant, ie. reacting spectators. If you aren't on the payroll of a restaurant, you don't have these concerns for your employment.

After performing at the same restaurant for 4 years, I can tell you that having fun yourself will definitely improve your performance and your repore with an audience. But the fact of the matter is, you have to be professional about it. Being courteous and kind to patrons, while maintaining a professional atmosphere about yourself is something that needs to be acquired. The point I and several others on these boards have been trying to make is that you CANNOT rush into restaurant magic. If you approach this branch of magic too quickly, you will turn of a manager to ever allowing magicians to perform in his establishment again. Once you are ready for this, however, you may find, as I have, that restaurant magic is an incredible occupation (yes, you have to realize that it is a job), and well worth the effort.