View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how do you recieve tips?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:26 pm 
Penguin

I was just wondering if you ask for tips or people just give tips because your performace is good.

Thanks,
Phoenix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:54 pm 

If you ask for tips in any restaurant I have worked in, you're fired! On the spot. That's why people wear tip pins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:14 pm 
Penguin

Ok, thanks Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:07 pm 
born to perform.

i do this
get a joker, and with a RED sharpie write- TIPS ARE APPRECTAITED(sp?)
have them pick a card, then do a color change to that joker
do this one second to the last that way they have time to read the joker, then there isn't an akward time where they are digging in their purses/wallets because you are doing another trick. It works for anyways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:36 am 
Penguin

I perform Gregory Wilson's Hundy 500 with my own patter about a tip I once received. It goes over very well and hints to the spectators that I suggest tips without overtly asking for them. Getting money out and performing with it is a good way to get the spectators thinking about cash and tips.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:07 pm 

Why would a spec want to give you their hard earned money if you can multiply money in your hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 pm 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
Why would a spec want to give you their hard earned money if you can multiply money in your hands?

Very simply...because they really enjoyed the performance. It's all about performance, guys (and gals.) Even the simplest trick can be a knockout effect when performed properly.

My performance of that effect centers around a "tip" that I got from a previous table that I had performed for. I relate that the gentleman was feeling "happy" and wanted to give me a really great tip - $50 to be exact. Then I count out the 5 single one-dollar bills and say, "10, 20, 30, 40, 50". The patter then continues with me thanking the gentleman, but appreciating the fact that it was really just $5 not the $50 he thought it was. So, he challenges me to make it $50 since I'm the magician. So, I do. I magically put zeros on the corners of each of the dollar bills, instantly turning them into 10's and thus $50. I then say thank you and tell the gentleman that it was, indeed, the best tip I'd gotten.

Maybe it doesn't do anything for you, but the people I perform it for just go nuts. I've received $10 and $20 bills regularly from the tables I perform this for in the restaurant. I've mentioned the word "tip" several times in the performance without directly asking the spectators for one. I have let them know that I do accept them and am very appreciative when a tip is received. It has been a winner for me. I even cleared the patter and presentation with the manager of the restaurant and he loved it as well.

Hope that answers your question.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:31 pm 

It answers it the same way that everyone else has answered it. It doesn't make any sense that you show that you can make money multiply and then take their money. If I saw you do that as a laymen, my first thought would be "Oh, he makes his own money. Good, I don't have to give him mine." Maybe it's just me. I think the best effects to encourage tips are a card to wallet after showing the wallet empty or something using a bill you borrow from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:56 pm 
Penguin

I personally don't ask for tips, just because I don't feel comfortable doing it. I believe if my performance is strong enough and memorable enough they will tip me.

But if you want to ask for tips with a simple button on your shirt or incorporated into a trick then go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:43 am 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
It answers it the same way that everyone else has answered it. It doesn't make any sense that you show that you can make money multiply and then take their money. If I saw you do that as a laymen, my first thought would be "Oh, he makes his own money. Good, I don't have to give him mine." Maybe it's just me. I think the best effects to encourage tips are a card to wallet after showing the wallet empty or something using a bill you borrow from them.

Well, from my experience it must be just you. As I mentioned above, my tips are wonderful from performing that trick. In fact, I tested it one night to see how the tips fared against tables that I didn't perform the trick at. Tips were higher at the tables I performed that trick. I still got tips from other tables, but they were larger denominations when I performed the Hundy 500.

As far as showing an empty wallet....that's just basically saying, "Look how poor I am - I don't have any money", which for some people translates to "Look how bad a magician I am - I'm not good enough to make any money so I have to show you my empty wallet in hopes that you will take pity on me and give me a tip."

For my presentation I am showing a fair amount of money (although in the restaurant I work $50 is almost chump change for a lot of the patrons!) which for this clientele translates into a positive, confident, competent character. I carry myself well and project an image that says, "Hey, I'm good and I'm worth every dollar you give me." People in this area like that kind of thing. They like confidence and pay for competent entertainment. It's not cockiness, but confidence in my abilities. I've found through my 10+ years of performing that people like to be fooled. And when you fool them badly from 6 inches away, they appreciate the talent that is involved in pulling that off. I tend to be rewarded fairly well with tips and hourly wages for my talents.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:27 am 

You make a good point. I'll have to try it out sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am 
Penguin

Also as a laymen they'll realize that its just a trick and wont honestly think you can multiply money with the snap of a finger. After all, if you could, why would you be working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:56 am 
Penguin

I also find if I get a tip, I try to make it obvious (without flaunting it.) that I recieved a tip from a table. So the other patrons see it.
Maybe taking my time to stuff it in my pocket as I turn to leave, sometimes leaving the tip of the bill sticking slightly out of the top of my pocket.

Also, never forget to say thank you. A low bow with the thank you always helps to draw attention too.

Just a couple thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:48 pm 

I once heard the idea of having a waitress come up to you in the middle of a routine and say, "The couple that just left wanted me to bring this to you." Afterwards, you would of course split the tip from the table with her for helping you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

I don't accept tips during restaurant walkaround. I politely tell the person offering the money something like this:

"I appreciate the offer, but I am paid by the restaurant. Could you maybe use that money as a tip for the people who are doing the hard work...the serving staff, etc.? If you liked the magic and really want to give me something, on your way out tonight, tell the staff or the manager that you really enjoyed the magic and would come back to see me again. Thanks!"

This keeps you on good terms with the staff (who are usually being paid way less than you per hour), makes you appear gracious, considerate, and humble, and also lets the manager know that hiring you was a good thing.