View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:16 pm 
Penguin

I usually do not accept tips as well. If the Restaraunt is going to pay me my hourly rate, then I do not accept tips. If they offer to pay me below my usual rate, then I ask that I be able to accept tips. This becomes a bargaining tool for me. I tell the manager that I will not accept any tips if I get paid X amount per hour. I state that this works well for everyone. The wait staff know that on Thursday nights, their tips are better because I, like The Caffeinator ask them to pass those tips on to their server.

Once I am able to build a significant clientle of restaurants, then my hourly rate will be non-negociable as I am sure it is for many of you. In the initial stages of my restaraunt practice, I will still give a little here or there depending on the situation of course.

Matlock the Magnificent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:46 pm 
Penguin

TheCaffeinator wrote:
I don't accept tips during restaurant walkaround. I politely tell the person offering the money something like this:

"I appreciate the offer, but I am paid by the restaurant. Could you maybe use that money as a tip for the people who are doing the hard work...the serving staff, etc.? If you liked the magic and really want to give me something, on your way out tonight, tell the staff or the manager that you really enjoyed the magic and would come back to see me again. Thanks!"

This keeps you on good terms with the staff (who are usually being paid way less than you per hour), makes you appear gracious, considerate, and humble, and also lets the manager know that hiring you was a good thing.

My only problem with declining a tip is that it can be taken as an insult to the person giving the tip. They obviously thought enough of your performance to warrant pulling out his/her wallet and offering you a monetary complement. To refuse it is somewhat insulting. You're saying the restaurant's money is more important than theirs. You may not mean to say that, but that's the way it comes across. The waitstaff can earn their keep just as well. If they do a good job, the person will tip them accordingly. I don't think their tip decreases just because the patron tipped the magician as well.

As far as keeping you on good terms with the staff, why don't you simply keep the tips and then personally greet each of the servers at the end of the night with a portion of your tips in your hand. Thank them for "helping you out" or whatever you want to tell them. That way it's not the patrons that tipped them...it's YOU who tipped them - and they didn't really do anything. I feel that's much stronger than just having the patron tip them (which they are going to do anyway.) The waitstaff is a lot more likely to actually LIKE having you there when they know you are going to split tips with them. They may even ASK the manager to have you there more often.

One other point: while it may be true for a lot of the restaurants....the one I work has waitstaff that makes about 4 times what I get paid by the restaurant. Put it this way...the average check for a dinner for two runs darn near $150. 15% of that (for just normal service) is around $23. These guys probably make closer to 20%. Now multiply that by a minimum of 4 dueces a night, probably a couple 4 tops and the money adds up really quickly. They walk with probably $225/night! Ok, so that's not exactly 4 times what I make, but I think you get the point. At least in my case I'm not worried about the waitstaff not making any money!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:18 pm 
Penguin

sk8board_2nd wrote:
I do this
get a joker, and with a RED sharpie write- TIPS ARE APPRECTAITED(sp?)
have them pick a card, then do a color change to that joker
do this one second to the last that way they have time to read the joker, then there isn't an akward time where they are digging in their purses/wallets because you are doing another trick. It works for anyways

I think this is a great idea....I will use the correct spelling of course...probably add a cartoon character also. But the idea is Gold!
I do a lot of street magic and I think I will incorporate it into a giant card trick to end one of my routines. I am not shy about asking, if you're in the busker trade, you have to ask....but always looking for a new way to ask$$$$$. Thanks

"I will master this or drown trying!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:38 pm 
Penguin

TheCaffeinator wrote:
I don't accept tips during restaurant walkaround. I politely tell the person offering the money something like this:

"I appreciate the offer, but I am paid by the restaurant. Could you maybe use that money as a tip for the people who are doing the hard work...the serving staff, etc.? If you liked the magic and really want to give me something, on your way out tonight, tell the staff or the manager that you really enjoyed the magic and would come back to see me again. Thanks!"

This keeps you on good terms with the staff (who are usually being paid way less than you per hour), makes you appear gracious, considerate, and humble, and also lets the manager know that hiring you was a good thing.

Exactily!
That's the same way I handle it.
I was a server for a few years so I know what it's like to try and survive on $3.15/hr pluss tips. I do not except tips when I'm doing restaurant work. I always request that if they realy did enjoy my show that much then as thanks to please leave the waitstaff my tip on top of their own.
I like to throw in the bit about telling the management that they loved my show and they they will be back also. It makes you look like gold.

Post subject: Re: how do you recieve tips?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:20 am 
Penguin

well i get a some tips off this awsome 6forma in ma school hes gr8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

the idea that exodus suggested works alot better than you could imagine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

I ask them for a ten dollor bill, i then use my raven to vanish it. By the end of the routine they forget about the bill. Jokes.

People offer, i would say at least 1 out of 3 spectators offer. Don't worry, you'll get into the swing of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

I'd like to answer the topic question in the same way that you could answer "How'd you do that?".

"How do you receive tips?"

"Very well, thank you."

Seriously, accept tips and be very gracious about it. Show that you appreciate it as much as, if not more than, they appreciate you. They are tipping you because they enjoyed your entertainment. They won't be disappointed if you accept it.