View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:50 am 
Penguin

If some one tries to give you a tip take it and say that my favorite trick I love to make money dissapear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:00 pm 
Penguin

ha, good line!

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:00 am 
Penguin

If you want to do magic in somewhere like Longhorn do you just go table to table or do you try to get hire???

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:24 pm 

12121234 wrote:
If you want to do magic in somewhere like Longhorn do you just go table to table or do you try to get hire???

Just go table to table. the manager will enjoy kicking your butt out onto the street.

THAT is a domb question!!!! A restaurant is PRIVATE PROPERTY Like a mall, you just don't walk in and start to do tricks and ask for tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:27 am 
Penguin

Hi guys! It been forever since Ive been here. Its a rainy day and I just thought I'd look around some sites I havent been to in a while. Well, this thread was posted about a year or so ago, and I will tell you, I STILL DONT HAVE A JOB IN A RESTAURANT YET!!!! But it amazes me that I thought I'd actually just go into a restaurant, and be able to do this for PRACTICE. Man, was I ever foolish back then. NOW I do paid parties. (Birthdays, corporate events, blah blah blah.) And I am doing very well so far. I have been working on fixing my shows latley, (I just thought I would upgrade them.) and have been practicing routines for a restaurant. They are looking good! I am getting lots of experience, and just recently, I actually performed in a restaurant! It wasnt a paying gig, but I just came back from the biggest show I have ever done yet, (About 200 people at the exibition park. It was great!) and we went to a restaurant where a friend of mine, Patrick Drake, performs every Friday and Saturday night. I went there, we said hi, and he asked me to perform for a group of people in the lobby. So I did an Ambitious card routine, and blew them away! he was impressed too. He said I did a great job entertianing them. So, that was my first performance in a restaurant. And shortly after that, I was still practicing, and I was getting the confidence, and experience I needed. So, when I was ready, I called a restaurant I have been LIVING to perform at. THIS was the restaurant I have been practicing, and working soo hard for for the past few years. I was soo exited. I am finally ready! I called, asked for the manager, told her who I was, and got the name of the GM, and what times he would be in. The next day, I came home from school, and gave him a call. I introduced myself. And asked him if he was interested.

well, I did say that I am not working a restaurant currently didnt I?
So, the answer was simply: "no"
So I said thanks you for his time, and hung up, and just sat there for what felt like ever. This was the best place in town to perform at. THIS is what I was working for at least two years to do! And it is over! But, I didnt give up. That same day we went out to town to go looking through different restaurants, to see which ones I could work at, and I would later call the ones I was interested in. The first place we went to was pizza delight.
I looked in, and wasnt that interested. I told my mom "ok, lets go" I went out to the car, and she didnt come with me. So I thought she just went to the bathroom. I waited, and waited, and finally went in to look for her. And there she was, with the GM of ALL pizza delight in Nova Scotia. She had been talking to him about me for a while. I said hi, introduced myself, and shook his hand. And he said that he would be interested. They have a kids night, and he said he could have me come there to perform for the tables while the kids are there. So great! Now I have to get back to him, give him a business card, brochure, (When I get one made. I am planning on making brochures for restaurants so they know what I do.) and make an appointment to meet him and show him what I can do.
I also called East Side Marios, and got the GMs name, and times that he is in, and I still have to get back to him. So, I am almost there folks!!! I have alot on my plate though. I am trying to fix up my: Adult show, kids show, toddler show, stage show. And I am also making a "Birthday Finale" for birthday parties I perfrom at. I am also planning on competing at The CAM convention next year, and next years IBM. I will be at the IBM convention this year, but I have been too busy to be practicing a competition performance. But next year for sure! I am also planning on being a busker at next years buskerfest, and I will be auditioning for the magic castle sometime next year, hopefully...
So, wish me luck guys!!
-Cory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 am 
born to perform.

themagicman101,

I've got one bit of advice for you. Do NOT try and offer your services over the phone. The answer will always be no. It's just too easy for someone to say no than to say yes to something they have no idea about. It's good to call and get the GM's name and when they will be in. Then you should show up unannounced and ask to speak with them. They won't have a lot of time, so you have to be somewhat quick and too the point. You have to explain how YOU being in their restaurant will benifit them. You will need to make a first impression. You must do something magical to show them you are for real and not just some kid that knows a few "tricks" (that's assuming you are more than that). You need to be prepared to work right then and you need to be willing to offer one free night of performing so they can see how it positively impacts their patrons. If you ever get the restaurant to agree to the free night, make sure that it is on a night when the GM is there. In fact, specifically state that you want them to be there so they can see the reactions first hand. This will also display you confidence.

Good luck in your quest.