View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First time in resturaunt this week!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:07 am 
Penguin

Hi, I am goin to a resturaunt this week and would like to ask some questions. But first, I should expain that I am not being paid. This is a little resturaunt, and the only reason why I am doin this is so I can get my confidence up and practice my routines in front of people I dont know. So please dont say that I am not ready to do restaraunts because I am asking these questions. I am not going to do it proffesionally, this is free, and it is a small place. It is for practice, and confidence only. Thank you.

My first question: What should I say when I first approach a table?
2- I have a few routines, but out of curiosity, what do you reccommend I should do?
3- What should I do if someone is heckling me, or wants to see a gimmicked deck? (ps. I probably wont be using a gimmicked deck.)
4- What do I do if someone gives me a tip? How should I exept it?

Thank you very much. Please respond quikly as I am going to the restaraunt THIS week! -Cory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:32 am 
Penguin

Hi. Here are some answers to your questions, but due to the nature of your questions, there are more than one right answer.

1. You could say. "Hi, I am a magician and I've been asked to walk around and do tricks (or magic, whichever you prefer) for people. Would you like to see something?"

2. I can't help you much here because I dont know what you know, but I reccomend the ambitious card routine if you know it. Also, since it is a small restaurant, you should do as much os a variety of magic as possible for different people. This is because if you show the ACR for one table, and then turn around and do it for the table behind you, chances are the people at the first table will watch you again, but this time they are at a bad angle.

3. Remember that you are in control and that you are sharing something that is yours (magic). If they are not appreciating that e.g. heckling, then let them know that you could walk away at any moment and not think twice. Tell them that you are trying to let them see something that they do not see very often, and that if they do not relax a little, that you will walk away and deny them what could be a very exiting experience.

4. Always thank them if they give you a tip,. and don't expect anything above one dollar.

Hope this helps.

-daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:37 am 
born to perform.

well.. I guess i am curious is whether or not they invited you to come or if you are just going it. That aside i can help you out.

The begging patter , to me, should be created by th eperformer. When you start to talk to them it is going to set the entore attitude of you and your performing style. So what are you into? Comedy? Start out with a joke or something.

Generally, its good to have at least 3 routines. That should be about the bare minimum. You will proabably need more, so prepare up to 8-10 that way you are covered. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE these routines. You might think that you have them down flat but try doing it in slow-mo. by that I mean do each move slow. you might be suprised with what you will come up with to add on.

What if someone wants to see a gimmicked deck? well other then a deck switch, dont use gimmicked decks. The last thing you need is to wonder which pocket has your invisible deck in it. well, i wouldn't say dont use gimmicked decks, but use them sparingly. I hae actually found that one of the deck ways to deal with a heckler is to use the invisible deck. along the line with hecklers, dont perform for them. you are there to be entertain, not to be pushed around. that is just my way and i am sure that there are others

Tips are personal. You would have to work that out with the staff at the restaurant because waiters think that you are getting your tip. work it out and see what they tell you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:19 pm 

One thing about tips. Don't ever mention it. Don't make a joke about it or even bring it up. Two reasons this happens. You're already being paid by the restaurant and it's much better to have one of them bring the tip to you while you're at another table. Please, never count the money when they give it too you. I've seen it happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:14 pm 
born to perform.

good points, whiile I have no real reason to mention because it is good advice, but he is not getting paid

Post subject: Re: First time in resturaunt this week!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:46 am 

themagicman101 wrote:
Hi, I am goin to a resturaunt this week and would like to ask some questions. But first, I should expain that I am not being paid. This is a little resturaunt, and the only reason why I am doin this is so I can get my confidence up and practice my routines in front of people I dont know. So please dont say that I am not ready to do restaraunts because I am asking these questions. I am not going to do it proffesionally, this is free, and it is a small place. It is for practice, and confidence only. Thank you...

Cory, this is one of the worst things you can do to get your "confidence up." If you need that you really are "not ready to do restaraunts." (sic)
One, you are a kid, so people will not tell you the truth if you suck because they don't want to hurt a kid's feelings. What you will do is screw up the restaurants (notice correct spelling) in that area from ever hiring a real magician.

Please back out until you can perform magic and not just do tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:27 pm 
born to perform.

well what are your tricks, and patter so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:58 pm 
Penguin

I have a sponge ball routine, biddle trick, ambitious card. And thats for my first night. Other nights I can do mentalism, i have a bit of magicomedy. Lots of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:28 pm 

Well, another restaurant bites the big one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:51 am 
born to perform.

my sentiments exactly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:52 am 
Penguin

Do magic in school to get confidence and experience. And not just for friends. Now I don't mean go up to everyone and force it on them. Be smart about it. It worked wonders for me. You get experience with different kinds of people. You will be able to pick out just by looking; the heckler, the best volunteer, the worst volunteer, the shy one, the one who thinks magic is the work of the devil, the one who will give the best reaction, the one who will want to touch everything. Obviously your technical skill will improve. You will learn outs and different ways to do things for different situations. Also you have the age range, and by that I don't mean 14-18. I mean younger than you, your age, and older than you. You will probably perform easier with people your own age, and your will get the experience of performing for the 'the big kids' which will help you to not be as nervous performing for adults. Plus you can perform for teachers. As previously stated, restaurants are not for practice, there are many places which are, such as school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:51 pm 
born to perform.

themagicman101 wrote:
I have a sponge ball routine, biddle trick, ambitious card. And thats for my first night. Other nights I can do mentalism, I have a bit of magicomedy. Lots of stuff.

Wow, you should go pro.

Seriously, just don't do it. It may seem like you know what you're doing, but you don't.

Don't try and prove us wrong by going and doing it anyway, we're not here to try and test you or anything, we're telling you facts, and helping you avoid humiliation, and in turn helping any other local magicians.

Wait another year before attempting to get hired.

Just because you're working for free doesn't mean you can go and do a terrible show.

As I said.

Don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:22 pm 
Penguin

Ill take you advise. Ill just do stuff at old peoples homes and stuff. Then Ill do partys, then probably move on to resturaunts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:23 pm 
born to perform.

themagicman101 wrote:
Ill take you advise. Ill just do stuff at old peoples homes and stuff. Then Ill do partys, then probably move on to resturaunts.

Thank you for taking our advice. It'll help you alot in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:44 pm 
Penguin

I am rather new to these forums and must admit this is my first post. I have a comment for paddy and some others in the few forums I have been reading. All I seem to hear from paddy is "Don't do it", "Your not ready", etc. I have yet to hear one piece of advice from him other than Run!.....run and hide from the restaurant business you idiot. Since noone else seems to be ready except yourself, why don't you let us know the steps you took before your first job experience and how you knew you were absolutely prepared to never make a mistake? Have you ever bit the big one on a gig or lacked entertainment value? You may be right with your advice to some who are probably not ready but give us some insight into how you knew you were ready. You do have beautiful spelling..... : ) [/quote]