View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Table-hopping wages
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:02 am 
Penguin

For those who do table-hopping professionally, what kind of rates do you charge? And is that like one day a week or more than that in a week? Do you charge by hour?

How do you approach a resturant about being their table-hopper?

*NOTE* These questions are addressing any pros floating around these forums with paid table-hopping experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:06 pm 
Penguin

Don't refer to the fee as wages. You're not working in a factory or something. This is supposed to be a professional service.

The fees that pros get in my area will be lower than some areas. A typical 2 hour fee is $85, in my area. The cost of living is rather low, here in Grand Rapids, MI.

In some areas, the fee will be much higher. It's best to talk with pros in your area to find out what the fees are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 am 

Alan is RIGHT, you don't get "wages" in fact if the restaurant pays you more than $600 in fees (this is a U,S, thing only) they have to give you a 1099. This is an I.R.S. form that states how much you received, iif is also sent to the I.R.S. so they know how much you got. Then at the end of the year you MUST declare this on your taxes and pay said appropriate income taxes on this money.

Yes they can and will catch you if you don't and the penalties are not cheap, but you can pay off the penalty in monthly installments. I know.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 am 
born to perform.

Cost of living is a major factor, I live near Milwaukee, working in dowtown Milwaukee I would get paid more than a neighboring city, or If I have a job in Chicago (sometimes I do), that gets factored into how much I get paid. The type of resturant is also something to consider, you basically cannot get the same pay at pizza hut that you do at an upscale establishment. How often you work can depend on the resturant, in most cases it'll only be one day a week, How much you charge can also effect how long you'll be working as well. If you over charge the restaurant may not keep you on very long.

As far as approaching a venue is concerned, there are many ways to do so. Some believe in cold calling, others feel you should write a letter to the establishment. I find its best to make the approach in person. The first thing you need to know is what type of resturant you want to work at, what type of people would you like to perform at. Than you have to find a resturant you acually can work at, is the restaurant run so that you 4have time to perform, unless you're performing on slow nights you wont be able to do magic at the end of a meal. Theres alot of material on the subject that I feel are must reads before setting foot in a resturant. The Greater Magic Video on restaurant magic, the workers series videos have alot of great advice as well as some of the finest magic around, both Jim sisti and kirk charles have great books on restaurant magic, as well as the magic menu. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a private message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:49 pm 
Penguin

Is it 600$ in one year? and you have to have a form for the IRS.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:03 am 

magicdood234 wrote:
Is it 600$ in one year? and you have to have a form for the IRS.

Thanks

Yes, but this is a U.S. tax reg only. I don't know what the Canadian taxes require. It is a form 1099 Same if I do any corporate job I have to give them my company's tax number because my corporate are always over US$600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:09 pm 
Penguin

wow Thats a downside. For every coporate event and restaraunt you work at you have to have give in an IRS form. Doesnt sound to appealing.

Paddy, How much do you charge for coporate events? At one time you said 500 $, now you say more than 600?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:35 pm 
born to perform.

I will be starting in a local restaurant soon, the rate I will be getting is €15 per hour.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:39 am 

magicdood234 wrote:
wow Thats a downside. For every coporate event and restaraunt you work at you have to have give in an IRS form. Doesnt sound to appealing.

Paddy, How much do you charge for coporate events? At one time you said 500 $, now you say more than 600?

Yes I raised my rates in 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:16 pm 
Penguin

just tell them, "hey, sup? u guys like magic? cool. well heres some magic that you might like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm 
Penguin

Michaelrice wrote:
I will be starting in a local restaurant soon, the rate I will be getting is €15 per hour.

Mike

Please, €15 is ridiculous. You're being exploited. €50 is a minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm 
Penguin

poomonkey wrote:
just tell them, "hey, sup? u guys like magic? cool. well heres some magic that you might like

Yeah you do that. You'll get hired for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:31 pm 
Penguin

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:51 pm 
born to perform.

poomonkey wrote:

I hope to the very core of my soul that you're joking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

magicdjw wrote:
poomonkey wrote:

I hope to the very core of my soul that you're joking.

Djw, do you ever shut up? It's true. They all say "yes". They usually leave halfway through the trick, but it works. Just say "sup".