View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Only impossible effects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:29 pm 
Penguin

Soon, around a half year, I will start my job as a professional magician at a resturant. Problem is I only do close-up magic. I need to know resturant suitable tricks, as least set-up as possible, and skill-level is not an issue. I need these to be impossible: I mean like Spun or Paperclipped, an Ambitiuos card routine is about as low as I'd stoop.

Can anyone help me out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:51 pm 
Penguin

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewforum.php?f=6

Go through the old topics, you can find a lot of information.

Post subject: Re: Only impossible effects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:01 pm 
Penguin

Phant wrote:
Soon, around a half year, I will start my job as a professional magician at a resturant. Problem is I only do close-up magic. I need to know resturant suitable tricks, as least set-up as possible, and skill-level is not an issue. I need these to be impossible: I mean like Spun or Paperclipped, an Ambitiuos card routine is about as low as I'd stoop.

Can anyone help me out?

Tell me, HOW is the fact that you do CLOSE UP magic, a problem for doing RESTURANT walkarounds? Im lost here.

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:26 pm 
born to perform.

Close up magic is exactly what is used in restaurants. What other kind of magic would you want to do in such an intimate environment? If you have to ask such a question, it makes me wonder whether you should be working professionally yet. Funnier yet, you put down ambitious card! Ive had more laymen claim that David Blaine's ambitious card routine is a camera trick (we all know it isnt) than that his levitation is a camera trick (it is). A good ambitious card routine is shocking to laymen.

Post subject: Re: Only impossible effects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

Phant wrote:
I need these to be impossible: I mean like Spun or Paperclipped, an Ambitiuos card routine is about as low as I'd stoop.

Can anyone help me out?

if you think papercliped is impossible...i would question how you are going to be a professional... try raise rise...(if difficulty is not a factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:35 pm 
Penguin

A new comer with dreams and hopes. My advice is to be modest and entertain daily without thinking you should get paid. Come back in about 10 years.

Magic should be fun, a wanting to make people happy. Very few get to experience the wonder of a magician going up to them as a service to worldy wonder. Perhaps changing your persepective you'll find a new theory.

If your in the gig for years, you deserve some money. But for now I'm using my mentalism powers. Don't quit your day job.
Thank you for chosing Magic McDonalds....please drive though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:35 pm 
Penguin

Or i got a better one.. A interlocking production.

I would bet, pretty much anything that i own, that out of all the people here at penguin, that maybe, MAYBE 5 people can do it.. I doubt if thats even the case. A interlocking production is undoubtably one of the hardest card sleights/flourishes there is. It took me 2 and a half years to learn it, USING MANIPULATION CARDS! I can almost pull it off with standard bikes.. THAT is impossible, for you anyways.

Jesse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:50 pm 
Penguin

I think he meant that the tricks have to look imposible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:56 pm 
Penguin

orpheus wrote:
I think he meant that the tricks have to look imposible.

lol you must not know what a interlocking production is.. it looks VERY inpossible, you interlock your fingers and show both sides, yet produce one at a time, 52 cards ;)

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:24 pm 
Penguin

onehandpass wrote:
lol you must not know what a interlocking production is.. it looks VERY inpossible, you interlock your fingers and show both sides, yet produce one at a time, 52 cards ;)

Jesse

52 doesn't seem all that inpressive. Now if it was 53 that'd be an entirely different story all together. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:46 pm 
Penguin

Bear with me on this but I can do the interlocking production :P

When I say impossible I mean there can be absolutly no explanation that even comes to mind. No theory, no hope, no nothing. When I put down ambitoius, it's because a very smart spectator can slightly form an explanation, even if he/she is wrong, most people will accept it as the way its done. Also I meant that I wanted to venture away from card effects, into more impossible venues eg Spun or Head off Shoulders.

And I've heard close-up is ideal for resturant, but I dont want people to have to leave their seats to see if the card in salt shaker is indeed in it. Know what I mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:48 pm 
Penguin

ALL tricks should look impossible...I thought that was the idea at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

If you're doing anything with switches, I would recommend they not be completely impossible. The too perfect theory states that the spectator will think that you switched it some how--it is the first thought that enters their mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:37 pm 
born to perform.

stoop low for an ACR? man, a well put together ACR can be one of the strongest things in existance. get a good acr routine, and make it original! just throw stuff in there you like, but make sure it flows...
an acr is great for a restaurant too.

also make sure and involve spectators in whatever you do, makes people enjoy it more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 am 
born to perform.

Close up magic and resturant magic is almost the exact same thing, it would be worth your time and your money to check out the workers series