View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how do you usually get started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

do you talk to the manager in person, phone, email, what. or do you start with one like email then arange a personal meeting with them. and what do you usaully say, how do you hook them in. what i would like to do rather than work inside at the tables is work out side or where ever the people are waitng exspecially on busy nights. :twisted:
give me some advice thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:14 pm 
Penguin

Oh, the most guarded secret in resturant magic LOL.. Heres what you do.

Go in to the joint, dont call, dont email, accually walk in there with a good effect in your pocket..

Ask for the manager, and get your effect ready. Here is how some of my conversations have went.

Hello, you asked to see the manager? Heya hows it goin, I was in here a few days ago, and had an idea i thought i would bring up to you. Manager would say, ok go ahead. I was sitting at the table, waiting for my food, and thought to myself, "It would be neat if a magician was here doing effects for people while they waited for there food, here let me show you what i mean." (at this point you would do your effect, and when your done, just be silent, and wait for the reaction). The manager will usually eaither laugh because he cant believe what he just saw, or say "thats pretty good" because he believes what he just saw was pretty good.. Eaither or, once he says his reaction, you say, So what do you think of the idea of having a magician here in the resturant a few nights a week for entertainment?

Boom, 99.9999999999% of the time, they will agree to having you there and the only thing left to do is to sort out the money issue..

If your new, and have never done any magic in front of strangers before, 50 bux a night will suffice.. If your super SUPER fluent in magic, the sky is the limit..

I do some resturant work at ruth cris, capt. harveys (formal wear required), rusty scupper, and a few others for around 200 an hour, for about 3 hours a night, 1 night a week for each.. Plus the tips, i usually walk out with 1000 or so a night, for doing what i believe is just flat out, fun.

One key point to remember, DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE THAN 2 OR 3 MINUTES OF THE MANAGERS TIME!!!! They have a store to run, and dont really need to be bothered by waiting for the hit of a 10 minute effect.. Use somthing quick, easy, and extremly hard hitting (i personally use a real quick 2 card monte, or a in the hands triumph) Also, BE READY TO WORK THAT SECOND! It has happened in the past where a manager will be so impacted, that they will want you to start work right then. So be prepaired for that (im not saying it will happen, but you will feel like a complete tool if your not ready for it) Dont use so many, yes sir no sirs, as managers are regular people, and i dont think your going to go attempt to get work at a 5 star resturant.

Hope this helps.

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:52 pm 
Penguin

From your post I assume that you do not have the required reading for working in restaurants. There is a lot more to the business side of restaurant magic than just the magic. It is good that you are asking this question and not barging in without a plan. One of the most important things in the approach is professionalism. Because magic is visual, in person will give you a better hook than phone or email or letter. Focus should be on how you can benefit the restaurant.

Onehandpass, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:31 pm 
Penguin

crgky127 wrote:
From your post I assume that you do not have the required reading for working in restaurants. There is a lot more to the business side of restaurant magic than just the magic. It is good that you are asking this question and not barging in without a plan. One of the most important things in the approach is professionalism. Because magic is visual, in person will give you a better hook than phone or email or letter. Focus should be on how you can benefit the restaurant.

Onehandpass, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

Your right, Ive never read one book on resturant working.. not one single book.. Do you know why? Because i have the common sense and social skills required to beable to SELL MYSELF, and get the gig.. Ive been turned down for resturant work in the past, but thats what you get when you goto applebees or ruby tuesdays.. When you goto a nice formal, 5 star resturant, you sell yoruself to the manager, you get the gig, plain and simple..

And im Twenty Six.

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:47 pm 
Penguin

The first part wasnt to you but ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:57 pm 
born to perform.

You could buy and read Jim Pace's Restuarant Worker's handbook.
(it's not sold on Penguin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm 
Penguin

crgky127 wrote:
The first part wasnt to you but ok.

Oh LOL.. Well, just in case you were wondering, that wasnt a sarcastic reply on my part.

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:43 pm 
Penguin

So noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:35 pm 
Penguin

That was good advise. How much do you think a person like me, that has been into magic for 5 years, but is new to the resturaunt buisness should charge per hour? Im 14 years old. I was thinking 40 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 pm 

That depends on a lot of different things. How comfortable are you around hecklers? How do you handle things? What's the going rate of others in your area? All important information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 pm 
born to perform.

ive been thinking of going into the local kelseys doing exactly waht onehandpass described but offering the first night free if i can hand out cards if it goes well the hire me back if not no loss i got my name out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:43 am 
Penguin

Funny this post came up, I was about to post the same thing. I was going to go to the local pizza place around here, or the Red Robin down the road and try to get a job there. I was going to go in and talk to the manager and do sinful or bill in kiwi, some thing for him. Some thing that will hit VERY hard. I have never done any restaurant magic before so I was a little in the dark. I do a lot of card stuff but I have been branching out lately. I own cups and balls and have been practicing. Multiplying balls, Scotch and Soda, I do a lot of stuff with Mentalism as well. Quarter bite, hot rod. It seems to me like a lot of the stuff I do is simple and forward. so it would be pretty good for table magic. One thing I wanted to ask... Do I need like a cart or some thing to push around or would I just walk up to a table with every thing in my pocket already? I would assume if Im doing cups and balls I would need some thing of the sort. Ill probably be going to the restaurant in the next 2 or 3 days so any advice would be GREAT and I would really appreciate it thanks a lot every one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:42 am 

Everybody says how easy it is to work restaurants. OK let me ask all you guys one question; do you, and if "yes" how much do you, charge the restaurant? How much (ok this is the senond query) do you expect to make in tips a night?

There are no wrong answers, I just want to see what is done out there. I do this for a living myself, so I have my answers which I'll reveal later.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:20 am 
born to perform.

Now Paddy, I don't have a job yet, althought I have been getting ready for over a year to start. After talking with many magicians, this is the price range in which to charge per hour, in my area- $35-$50 per hour. Tips are another story. You can't expect to get big tips at the family diner.

It all depends on where you work at. I have realized that my act is more for the adult crowd, so I will be trying to get a gig at the local Westin Resort (country club for rich people). The reason I decided this iwas the first place I wanted to try is because I want to get booked by corporate clients.

And Paddy, I know it isn't easy to work in restaurants. If it was easy, everyone here wouldn't be making posts about how to start. Well, they shouldn't be making those posts in the first place. There are so many books, videos, and CDs loaded with information about working in restaurants.

-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

I'm 16. I'd like to work in restaurants in about 2 years. I'm waiting for R. paul Wilsons The Restaurant act to arive. None of the restaurants in my area have magicians working for them or ever had. Will I still be able to get a job?