View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My success story
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm 
born to perform.

I would just like to share with you how I became a restaurant magician.

There is a restaurant in the center of my town that is quite popular. On occassion they will have musicians come in and perform some music because they have a mini-stage there. My friend, who was performing music there for free one night, asked me to come in and do some stage magic in between music sets. I agreed, so I went in and did stage magic. It all went very smoothly, and the crowd loved it. I talked to the owner and gave him my business card. He said he would call me.

Two weeks later my friend was going back to the restaurant to perform more music. This time he asked me not only to do stage, but walkaround. I got to the restaurant and did my thing - stage and walkaround. Both were incredible. The owner then came up to me and asked me if I would like to come in every Friday and Saturday night to perform walkaround magic. Of course I agreed and now I am a restaurant magician. I just thought I would share my story with everyone here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:10 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, nice story :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:02 pm 
born to perform.

nice story there chewbacca, if thats your real pic u need a haircut, not trying to be rude or anything but if i was a little kid you would scare the edited outta me. But you remind me of the wrestler mick foley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:14 pm 
born to perform.

jmingo1 wrote:
nice story there chewbacca, if thats your real pic u need a haircut, not trying to be rude or anything but if I was a little kid you would scare the edited outta me. But you remind me of the wrestler mick foley

The picture is of Rupert Boneham from Survivor: All Stars. No relation to Mick Foley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:38 pm 
born to perform.

I KNEW IT!!! lol...I thought he looked so familiar to me. But just didnt realize it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 pm 
Penguin

and are you going to see some money ??? or is it just for fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:05 pm 
born to perform.

DMmagician wrote:

$200/hour + tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:49 am 

Streetwolf wrote:
DMmagician wrote:

$200/hour + tips

I have been in this business a long time. The only time I heard a rate like thatwas when the performers grandmother owned the joint.

Tell us a realistic fee instead of "AMAZING."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Streetwolf wrote:
DMmagician wrote:

$200/hour + tips

I have been in this business a long time. The only time I heard a rate like thatwas when the performers grandmother owned the joint.

I am not a 12 year old kid coming on these forums trying to make myself look better than everyone else. I legitamately make $200 per hour not including tips. I'm very well known in the town I live in and after seeing a few shows, the owner of the restaurant personally contacted me and requested I work there. We negotiated and he agreed to pay me $200 an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
Streetwolf wrote:
DMmagician wrote:

$200/hour + tips

You're good and all, but just because somebody makes more than you doesn't mean you have to insult them. And you go off calling yourself a professional.

Anyways, excellent story there, Streetwolf. Would love to have something like that happen to me, and up to this day, I had always thought that that was you in your avatar.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:44 am 

I meant no insult and am not insulting anyone now. I just do not believe him. I know the rates that restaurants pay. They will not pay an entertainer unless you can add to the bottom line. i.e. bring in more customers than they had before you. It take one very large draw to increase the amount by more than $200 an hour.

My average increase in a restaurant is between $5000 to $7000 a shift when I am there. Now this is GROSS increase. The average restaurant runs on a 4% profit so I add between $160 to $280 per 3 hour shift.

Sorry but when people claim to be paid huge amounts like that I want others to know the truth.

By the way, I make 100% of my income as a magician specializing in restaurant and b'day parties. I buy a new car every three years and live in a very nice area of town. My actual income is know only to myself and the I.R.S. so I am very successful doing this. But $200/hour PLUS tips... no way. Including tips, yes just not "plus tips."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:52 am 
born to perform.

^^^ I agree...200 does sound a lil out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:13 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
I meant no insult and am not insulting anyone now. I just do not believe him. I know the rates that restaurants pay. They will not pay an entertainer unless you can add to the bottom line. I.e. bring in more customers than they had before you. It take one very large draw to increase the amount by more than $200 an hour.

My average increase in a restaurant is between $5000 to $7000 a shift when I am there. Now this is GROSS increase. The average restaurant runs on a 4% profit so I add between $160 to $280 per 3 hour shift.

Sorry but when people claim to be paid huge amounts like that I want others to know the truth.

By the way, I make 100% of my income as a magician specializing in restaurant and b'day parties. I buy a new car every three years and live in a very nice area of town. My actual income is know only to myself and the I.R.S. so I am very successful doing this. But $200/hour PLUS tips... no way. Including tips, yes just not "plus tips."

I'm sorry that you don't believe me. But like I said, I'm not one of those immature "penguin magic is god" little kiddies. It is not an exaggerated amount. The guy said he would pay me that, and he is. Whether he will lower it or get rid of me depends on the amount of customers I draw. So far, there have been a ton of advertisements for "the magician at the restaurant" and a lot of people have come to see.

Keep in mind it's not just a restaurant, but there is a stage where performers regularly come in and entertain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 pm 

Streetwolf wrote:

Keep in mind it's not just a restaurant, but there is a stage where performers regularly come in and entertain.

AHHH< I then apologize. It does make a difference. I misunderstood that you were working a restaurant, like Don Pablo's or Longhorn Steak house. A dinner theatre is a whole different venue than restaurants.

Sorry.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:18 pm 
born to perform.

^^^HAHA once again agreed