View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walkaround help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 pm 
Penguin

Ok. I have just got an offer to perform for 200 people on March 29 and I would be doing walkaround. Now Im 14 but ive been in magic since I was seven and have done some profesional shows. One show was for a rather large librains group for christmast and it was a succeses and about 4 months back I performed for a church and blew them way and made around 130 some dollars. Now the problem is My walkaround routine blows people away but is only:

a ACR (My own)
A two card transpo
Hummer card

I need enough tricks to saticfie these 200 some people wile they are talking with friends. But I cant just show all 200 people 3 tricks and expect the people to be saticfied. So ive made a list of the Items Im thinking about getting for this:

Time machine regular, or steel banded
card through window- Expert Magic
a levition up to a $100
self folding bill
5 and 1 transpo
have about $250 to $300 dollars to spend

Are these good. Yesa or no. Any ideas, help, and tips could be appreciated. Any suggestions on what to buy Apreciated. i need to buy soon so I have a few months to prepare.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Please... you posted this in foru other sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:11 am 
Penguin

Cards, cards, only cards... why don't you save some money (instead of buying criss angel's impossible and angly levitation) and buy a TT, some silks, work some easy but efficient coin & bill effects, sponge balls (or 3D rabbits) and even cups & balls ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

YOU ARE GOING TO GET KILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to learn alot man. What happens if the people are done eating and you just get surrounded? What are you gonna do for the hour? You got to have a repetoire (sp?). Its gonna be very difficult. When you run out of material Your gonna have to think on hand maybe even make up some tricks. No chance your gonna be able to do the levetation. You have a month here is my suggestion, Either pick up the aldo columbini impromptu card tricks series, or pick up Easy To Master Card Miracles by: Micheal Ammar. Seriously man this is what your gonna have, a few packet tricks, 2 decks of cards, and maybe 6 coins. If you buy the ETMCM you will recive a packet trick with each one and the tricks wont be to hard with almost no set-up. the aldo columbini set you will find at least 2 tricks you like on all three DVDs so thats 6 more tricks. Man look at Bobo's moder coin, Learn three and three coins across. It will take you an hour and it is really good and it plays perfect for a table and if you make the noises it will work a few feet away.

I can't think of much anymore now stop reading my posts andd start reading your magic books!

-thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

Edit. Heh heh, sorry ween, I misread your post.

Last edited by magicdjw on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am 
Penguin

Get the Kirk Charles book on restaurant and close-up magic. He'll help you through the issues concerned in walk-around. You probably won't need many effects.

I typically perform 2 to 4 routines for a group before moving on to the next group. 200 people is enough to keep a guy busy for a couple of hours (100 people/hour of strolling magic X two hours). If you perform for 4 minutes per group, with 6 people in each group, and perform 15 times in an hour, you've entertained 90 people. It is nice to be prepared to go longer, because some people in the group will be hard to approach and some will obviously want to be entertained.

Typical material:
*Sun and Moon (using David Acer's routine for Spare Change)
*Sponge Bunnies
*Ring and String
*Mismade Bill (I use my own tipless handling)
*A long card routine (I interlace card selections with gags, and also reveal mentally selected cards, card to wallet)
*Egg Bag

Post subject: Re: Walkaround help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:14 pm 
Penguin

jordanpst wrote:
Now the problem is My walkaround routine blows people away but is only:

a ACR (My own)
A two card transpo
Hummer card

I would say that is a mighty problem. You need to have the sleight of hand skill to entertain people with ordinary objects. If you think you can spend $300 bucks on stuff here and do well you are sadly mistaken. Buy a couple good books and dvd's and start from there...and maybe cancel the performance until you are ready.

Post subject: My Personal Idea
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:52 pm 
Penguin

Personally, I would first recomend some books and DVD's.
There are a couple books on Restauraunt Magic listed in the reviews above. I HIGHLY recomend On the Spot becuause that really is a walk around restauraunt routine. I have had people come up to me and say "show me a trick" and so I will pull out a deck of cards and they will hand me something like a quarter or pen and say "do a trick with this." I would also recomend Card Magic. If you are'nt to familiar then I would say get Born to Perform, otherwise something more experienced, maybe one of the Gregory Wilson DVD's. One thing I really enjoy is instead of using a standard deck, I bought the Boris Wild Marked Deck, and used that for both impromtu routines and mental routines.
Some other tricks you may find usefull are

1) Pen Through Dollar
2) A TT (look at Darwins vided for ideas)
3) the Raven (I would advise the bonus package)
4) Card toon(neat little effect)
5)Holy Moly(some what tricky, however with lots of practice can pose a very neat effect)
6)Just Name it(can be purchased at www.elmwoodmagic.com)
7)Hip Hop Pocket Mullica
8)Three Card Monte depending what restauraunt your at.
9)If at a nice restauraunt, the Time Machine will probably do well

(PS. I dont know if you know however the Self Levitation on Mind Freak once finished with the gimick costs around 250.....so I would be careful before you waste your money on what kind of effect your looking for.)

Any Questions dont hesitate to ask!
Good Luck!