View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:10 pm 
Penguin

oops sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 am 
Penguin

when i used to work in mc donalds during my break i was performing for a small crowd in i did couple of my quick ruitines and as a finale i did the vanishing salt trick, this one guy was so intreged by it that he dished out a crisp one hundred and asked me to tell him how i did that( that could of bought over twenty t-h-u-m-b-t-i-p-s) i refused, and told him that it will work if you take take the straw and wave it over your hand while giving a slight b;ow on your closed fist. After i finished my shift( which was a good hour or two i saw the same guy sitting at the table with salt packets littering the table and him waving the straw :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm 
born to perform.

lol you should have said i will order u some if u give me the money and went and bought thread that is visible lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:06 pm 
Penguin

thats sad. Ive been offered $160 to tell them how to do a tenki (sp?) palm to vanish a card, and I didnt take it. A DOLLAR?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:17 pm 
Penguin

yea dude.. that was totally illegal. lol totally out of bounds. even if spectators figure OUT how I do something and they ask me to confirm, I still say nothing. that is way out of bounds. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:22 pm 
Penguin

Just wondering how many of those saying, "never sell a trick" came up with all of their own, since obviously if you cannot sell a trick, you cannot buy one either. If they bought them isn't that saying something like "never sell a trick unless it is me that wants it?

It sounds a tad hypocritical to me but that is just my take on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:54 pm 
born to perform.

prairiewolf wrote:
Just wondering how many of those saying, "never sell a trick" came up with all of their own, since obviously if you cannot sell a trick, you cannot buy one either. If they bought them isn't that saying something like "never sell a trick unless it is me that wants it?

It sounds a tad hypocritical to me but that is just my take on it

prairiewolf,

Welcome to Penguin.

It's not our place a magicians to sell the effects to make a quick buck. Especially to some idiot who would pay just to know the secret so that they could act smarter by telling everyone how it's done. What other reason would a lay person have for dishing out money to be shown how it's done. Maybe they want to learn that one trick, but why. It's not worth it to give up a secret so that a person can perform or try and perform that one trick. What ends up happening is they expose the effect and give away the secret. If they are truly interested in magic, they will start from the beginning and work their way up. If someone is willing to pay ME money to learn one trick, then they should be willing to spend the same or less to learn a bunch of tricks. If they are only interested in the one trick and nothing else, then if you sell the secret, you might as well give it away. I have never paid someone to show me how to do a particular effect. I have asked where I can learn something and then researched on my own...but never offered to pay someone to show me. In addition, I have never entertained anyone's offer of money to show them how I did something...and I have been offered quite a bit of money for one simple effect. It's just not worth it. I would begin to lose respect with myself.
Purchashing merchandise and publish materials is totally different than accepting money from someone to tell them how to do a trick that you just did. It's not hypocritical at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:09 am 
Penguin

The difference to you paying for the effect and you selling it to someone else is a BIG difference.

EG

A music artist has a cd out they are free to sell it because it belongs to them!
A mate loans you a Cd and you sell it that is wrong the CD was not yours to sell you are ripping your mate off just as by you selling secrets to an effect that you did not create is stealing!
You may as well walk up to who ever created the effect and take money out of their wallet.

If someone want's to learn magic and is seriously interested in learning for the right reason it is still unethical for you to teach them an effect that you did not create or own the rights to!

So if someone really want's to learn magic point them in the right direction not by exposing effects but by reccomending them a book or a place to purchase legitimate items.

Theft is not on regardless of how you try to sugar coat it and neither is breaking the magicians code!
I know if I went to my local IBM ring and started showing other members of the ring how an effect is done that does not belong to me I would be promptly shown the door and banned from the IBM so dont dont dont do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 pm 
born to perform.

Oh my god!! If magicians kept exposing secrets like that, the art of magic would be ruined! :( Alot of people would know the secrets to magic. And the specs won't be specs anymore! :!:

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 pm 
Penguin

this kid on my bus said he'll give me 20 dollars in advance and 30 after if i tell him how to do greed, i guess he thought he found out how to make extra money... and NO I DID NOT TELL HIM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I hate people like that. I have a kid in my class who is just the opposite, and I always perform my effects for him first, because he loves them. He's one of those guys who doesn't care how it's done, but just enjoys watching. Thank God for those people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:48 pm 
Penguin

I explained how to DL for a buck. Well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

julian1000 wrote:
I explained how to DL for a buck. Well worth it.

How is it well worth it? You just explained one of the greatest sleights in card magic... just to make a dollar? You're a disgrace to all magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

:lol: Actually,just today I taught my freind how to do the erdnase for 75 cents.I know,I know,75 cents is very cheap.But theres not many uses for the erdnase,I learned it for free anyways,plus I needed a soda for lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

A soda for a class color change... who would have thunk it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next