View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Also, consider this: your parents might be so proud of your abilities (and their lack of) that they can't wait to brag on you. Perhaps the only way they know how is to "show you off" in front of their friends. I know it might seem embarassing, at the time, but trust me, when you are older, you will look back on your "embarrassing" parents with fondness, recalling their love and support for you.

Imagine the conversations they have with their friends (yes, parents do sometimes have those, even though they're not cool :roll: ) when the subject inevitably turns to kids:

"Oh yeah? So what if your kid hit the game winning home run, MY kid can tear up a signed hundred dollar bill, and restore it into a fresh lemon! Tell me, which kid has the more practical skill?"

A parent "embarrassing" you at a gathering is far better than them ignoring you completely.

Hocus Pocus Dudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:03 am 
Penguin

Leo_of_Clubs wrote:
Actually, let's look at the logic here. When your parents say "show a trick", you can use that. It really helps yourself when you're trying to start a show and don't have the nerve for it. It helps for a beginning magician to start out.

True for beginners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:22 pm 
Penguin

you should always cary a deck of cards in you pocket, just incase this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:31 pm 
born to perform.

ha thats what my parents do i love them tho they said to me that they like showing me off, my bors does it to lol im 13 and hes 21 tho lol he brings home friends for me to do magic to but yah if u talk to them u can give them a signel to say it when ur ready :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:06 pm 
Penguin

I don't understand why so many people don't like it when parents say "do a trick!" or something to that effect. I see this as an opportunity. I'm always dying to do magic, and I think it's awesome when people tell ME to do tricks, rather than me just doing them. It shows that people want to see my magic and I don't see it as "interrupting" someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:40 pm 
Penguin

it sucks when i dont have any new effects (low on the ca$h) and then someone says "do a trick!" other than that I'm good....
but i seriously ahve to start passin the hat around....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:02 am 
Penguin

My mum n dad can be a real pain in the bu.....neck.
I always get pulled up at a party by em and im always asked to perform a certain trick.
Also, the STS comes in real handy for these situations.
I find if your low on the ca$h and you like 14/15 (around that age) go to the pub with your dad. When he says hey show us sum tricks, have a TT loaded with a £5 note and perform a bill switch on one of your dads mates. Just say, has anyone got a £10 note?, when your given one, perform the bill switch, hand them the £5 back and say "there you go, a souvenire just for you", they'll see it as a joke n let you keep the £10.
or...
Perform 'GREED' by Daniel Garcia,borrow a fiver, do all the transformations, then make a 2p appear at the end, and again, just say, "theres a little souvenire to remember me by", and becoz there m8s with your DAD and they are slightly drunk anyway theyll let you keep it. :D :) :wink: :o 8) :P :roll: :twisted:

Post subject: take control
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 pm 
Penguin

It's been a while since I've been a kid, but purely from a magic perspective, remember that when you are doing magic, you are more than a magician, you're an entertainer.

What that means is that when people look at you, you're in control. So take control. If your mom or dad out's you as a magician, you now have a choice, be an entertainer, or don't.

If you don't want to, you can come back with something that suits your style: "Silly parents, 'Trix' are for kids." or, "No thanks, I'm off duty right now", or the humble bit... "No dad, these folks are enjoying their time...I don't want to interfere."

If you want to perform...take over the stage....don't let mom or dad do any control of your audience, you do it. "Is anyone here interested in seeing some magic?" The key is, mom and dad become members of the audience at that point. if they start to spoil a trick, you need to treat them like a heckler, and if they don't like it you can say, "well, if you don't enjoy it then don't spoil my show or don't even get me started." (and for the record, you should always work to handle hecklers respectfully, especially when they are your parents).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:45 pm 
born to perform.

If I am at a party I will usually do tricks unless my parents tell me to do a trick. If I want to get a gig then I can't have my parents hanging over my shoulder.