View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lines to make a heckler go away
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:18 am 
born to perform.

Ok I want to know some lines that work on the hardest of hardcore hecklers, even a whole pack of them. I've used other lines that are fine for most people, but hecklers can b very hard so if you have a line that you like to use for hecklers post it here please. I'll post one if I think of one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:45 am 

I want you to go find Online Visions and read Scott Guinn's article on hecklers. If, after you do that, you still think they're hecklers, come back and we'll talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

just never cuss or threaten them, it will never turn out good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah I was just jokin about cussing at them. I've never had hecklers like the ones I got yesterday though. I was almost running away with them chasing me they were so bad. I was performing a hummer card and they were close enough to step on my feet so I kept trying to back up so they couldn't grab it and they kept coming closer. I know the hummer card is really a stage effect but I have to advertise it for a magic store Im working for and thats how I have to advertise it, in a street magic style. Exodus thanks for the suggestion, I'll go read that article right now. Luckily Im not working tonight so I have some time to find ways of dealing with those people. Its so hard to deal with hecklers when you're performing a hummer card as a street magic trick and you can't perform any other trick. I seem to end up just going back inside to reset and taking my time so they'll go away, but I don't have time cause im under pressure to sell a certain number of hummer cards every night, so hecklers get 2b a real problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 pm 
born to perform.

Exodus, could you put the website up that i could read that on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:36 pm 

Google Online Visions and Pro-files and you should find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:14 pm 
Penguin

I know this sounds stupid and pacifistic, but it works (believe me).
Ask them to leave, and if they don't, then leave for them. Simple. Then, set up a performance in another area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:59 am 
Penguin

i had a time where after i was done with all my tricks, i did them for a small group of 11-12 year olds, i was standing aroujnd talking they tried reaching in my pocket and stealing my trick. they ended up ripping my shorts.

what am i to do?

Post subject: That is bad....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:01 am 
Penguin

That is pretty bad. Again, don't resort to violence. Even though you'd probably "win", you'd get fired and put in jail. Go inside a shop or even inside your house if you perform near there. Take everything and leave. Don't let them get the better of you.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:49 pm 
born to perform.

Inform them of the 'rules' before you begin, if someone breaks them tell them the shows over. They will settle the 'heckler' down themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Ghost the group of bad hecklers I already mentioned were exactly like that with me. I practically had to run from them cause they were going to ruin my stuff, not just a performance. I didn't really run, but they kept coming closer and I kept moving away so I was like forty feet at least from where I was when they came up to me. I just tell hecklers not to try to figure the trick out, and that they should use all that thinking for something else. Leaving is an excellent idea because its not rude since hecklers r rude to you first. Mainly I've found just not giving in to hecklers and not listening to whatever they're saying is the best thing to do if you don't leave or they don't go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:21 pm 
born to perform.

Oh, btw, I read that article exodus and I usually do get like one or one group of true hecklers each evening. I also get a lot of other people that I guess you wouldn't call true hecklers but they're very hard to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:52 pm 
born to perform.

I got into a fight with a heckler once, don't do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:27 pm 
born to perform.

I dont typically run into hecklers, but there were a couple that got kind of bad. The big catch with a heckler is that if they are really there just to make your day miserable, you must turn the rest of the audience against them. Then once that happens, confront them. Ask them if they are only there to be a jerk and one of two things will happen, 1. they will back down, or 2. they will get defensive and mad, if that happens, either move the crowd from them or stop performing until they leave. Many times the crowd will take care of a hardcore heckler for you.
of course, that's for the bad heckler and that strategy should only be used in extreme circumstances, to show him you aren't going to be pushed around.
On the other hand, if the person is good natured but still heckling you...well... many people are naturally hecklers because they think that's their job when watching magic, to try to make it difficult and figure it out. They think its a contest of wits (which it in reality is, but you dont want them to feel like that). When those people come along I would suggest you perform a couple of strong, foolproof effects you know you can pull off, and if they dont lighten up and relax, you can just explain to them that the point isn't to figure it out, but you probably dont want to be using them for assistants (picking cards etc.)

Post subject: For people who yell "It's in your hand!" etc.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 pm 
Penguin

This simple color change usually shuts up the noisy drunks. Put the 3 of D on the bottom of the deck & the 2 & Ace of D on top. Hold the deck out to your left horizontally, short end toward you, 3 of D toward audience. With your left forefingertip, peel back the other end of the 2 and Ace a little bit. It's OK to turn your back while you do this. Face the audience. Lay your right hand over the 3 and announce that you're going to rub off one of the spots. Slide your right hand toward you to expose the 3 one last time. As you do, use your left fingertip to shove the 2 top cards into the fork of your right thumb.

Put your right hand over the 3 again. Wipe it downward, revealing the 2 of D and carrying the Ace away in your right hand. The corner of the Ace should be barely visible between your hand and thumb. The drunk will yell, "You've got it in your hand!" Look bewildered, show the Ace and say, "Well, sure, this is the spot I wiped off. See, it goes right here," pointing at the middle of the 2 as if you're explaining to somebody slow. The crowd will laugh at the drunk and shut him (or her) up.