View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Magicians are just NERDS!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:13 pm 
born to perform.

daniellange wrote:
Ever seen ''Mystery''?

That guy humps a prornstar/celeberty/model every day. Do nerds do those kinda things? He achieves this through NLP and magic.

And my post about using a synthetic rubber product to permit the vanish or appearance of a glass full of liquid got deleted???!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 pm 
Penguin

ElConquistador wrote:
daniellange wrote:
Ever seen ''Mystery''?

That guy humps a prornstar/celeberty/model every day. Do nerds do those kinda things? He achieves this through NLP and magic.

And my post about using a synthetic rubber product to permit the vanish or appearance of a glass full of liquid got deleted???!!!!

Meh guess mine will be deleted to....
But I kept my language as neat as possible (how do you say what I just said in a polite minor-proof way? :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 am 
born to perform.

I do have to say some of my magic shows I play a nerd when I do magic. Most of the time when I do magic in bars I get a lot of ladys. Well use to. I have been married now for 3 years. But edited if thay think I was a nerd who cares. I was the one going home with them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:51 am 
Penguin

I have glasses, an affection for video games, classic literature, and various comics, and I tend to socialize outside of my work primarily on the web. Calling me a nerd is like calling the sky blue, or water wet. If, sir, you are not entertained by my nerding, you, as always, have the option of leaving.
No? You'd like to watch the rest of the show?
Ok then. (Continues show.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 pm 
Penguin

How should you deal with hecklers? How about we try disaknowledgement first? Keep talking and doing your trick while the heckler goes on and on. Practice to, without missing a beat, turn to him and say "Cool, man." and go back to performing.

If that doesn't work, try positive misinterpretation. Pretend you heard your heckler say something nice and react to that, then go back to performing without waiting for a response from your heckler.

Just trying to come back at your heckler with something only validates their need for attention because you have now given it up to them and allowed your audience to turn their attention away from you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:47 am 
Penguin

I'd like to point something out, being a self professed nerd/dork/geek.

A nerd is someone of high intelligence with practical knowledge usually in some sort of science.
A geek is someone with alot of impractical knowledge such as Star Trek, comic books, and/or magic.

Also, whether you could call Mystery a "magician" is debatable. His magic serves in his pick up artisty, not necessarily HIM as a performer. He's more a PUA than a magician. But, so long as the secret is maintained this makes little difference to me.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:58 pm 
Penguin

ArchAngel_G wrote:
I'd like to point something out, being a self professed nerd/dork/geek.

A nerd is someone of high intelligence with practical knowledge usually in some sort of science.
A geek is someone with alot of impractical knowledge such as Star Trek, comic books, and/or magic.

Also, whether you could call Mystery a "magician" is debatable. His magic serves in his pick up artisty, not necessarily HIM as a performer. He's more a PUA than a magician. But, so long as the secret is maintained this makes little difference to me.

-ArchAngel_G

You know he's the guy who levitated over the Niagra falls right?
Erik James Horvat-Markovic is his real name.

-
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 pm 
Penguin

Magic isn't geeky/nerdish.
Magicians can be geeky/nerdish.

It is not the act it self, but the performer of the act that leaves the impression.

True, magic is secluded, and does have a fair amount of geeky/nerdish followers ( Sorry ), ask your self the question: Am I a nerd? Or does performing magic make me a nerd?

As to public opinion, the latter would result in a 'no', magic is, given the right circumstances, social interaction. And depending on your style, most magicians do have some sort of charm and wit, same which could be observed in a person who leads a conversation, with others hanging by his/her lips.
The general image of nerds conflicts with this.

Furthermore for your situation, I would advice NOT to attack the spectator personally. Never , ever ever ever ever ever do this. This is a mood breaker. Instead joke around towards them or yourself, mock yourself, if he calls you a nerd say something like : 'darn, you got me, I learned all my magic from Darth Vader.' Don't obsess about the fact they may think you're a nerd because guess what, this will give a nerdy 'vibe' towards others. Think about it, when you deny something from your brain (example; Don't think about smoking) you'll constantly have that denied thought spooking around.
Lastly, confidence is the key, if your confident then your ego won't shatter because of one opinion/insult.

Hope it helps.

- Jazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
Penguin

That happened to me once. i replied "Hey I didn't know you were a magician!" It shut her up! :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:52 pm 
Penguin

I wouldn't like insulting the audience member, I'd rather gleefully admit to it being true. "(sort of half laughing) Oh my god, are we ever!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6