View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Uncooperative spectator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:07 am 
born to perform.

I dealt with an uncooperative spectator last night and in my opinion I think I did ok but all things considered it could have gone pretty bad. She wasn't deliberatly trying to mess things up she was just a bit drunk and excited so I guess the real lesson is don't use magic to impress drunk girls. Anyway I'd like a bit of feedback on how I handled myself and what you think I should do to avoid this in future.

I've recently learnt color monte and when asked to perform I wanted to see how it held with an audience so I rooted through the deck and pulled out a joker (for the climax as I don't have the 14 doller card) which she immediatly snatched off me. I stopped for a second then decided to do synergy (which is my usual impromptue trick) so I grabbed the other joker out of the deck explaining I didn't want ot use them in this trick and asked her to shuffle the cards.

During Synergy when she couldn't find her card she reached into my coat poket and grabbed the card I'd put in there. I really wasn't expecting this at all and was a little distressed. I replaced the card in my poket even though she'd seen it and said "we'll get to that card in a sec please see if you can find the card you're thinking of first." When she couldn't I said "so it's not in there?" then asked "and it wasn't the one in my poket?" When she said no I said "are you sure?" and delved into my poket and producing her card giving the impression the indifferent card had somehow changed into hers. Then after culling cards for "spectator cuts to the aces (she was quite insistant on seeing more so maybe it''s my own fault for not stopping.) I handed her the deck and asked her to cut it, even giving a visual demonstration of what I wanted. She immediatly started to shuffle the cards. I sighed and when she'd cut the pack I asked her to pick any of the 4 packs and pick any card from it. Then I went into my ambitiouse card routine.

Anyway the point is in that situation she was relativly harmless and probably didn't realise what a difficult spectator she was being but what have you guys done with people who grab props and don't follow instructions very well? I'd like to hear your thoughts just for futer planning.

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:51 pm 
Penguin

THank you very much! I have learnt from your well develped story/essay or whatever that i should not do magic to drunk people when I am in a bar. Thanks man this ment alot to me :)

O yeah I almost forgot, I am only 12 :D lough out loud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:28 am 
Penguin

I was performing for this group and one of the people snuck up behind me and stuck his hand down my pocket because he thought he'd find something. I'm not talking a kid either, this was a 60 year old man. Oh, and he wasn't drunk and there was nothing in my pocket. I guess it just happens sometimes. Just learn when it's time to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:11 pm 
born to perform.

Well first with the color monte thing, it's ok that she grabbed the card, it means you fooled her to the point in which she needed to grasp a bit of reality by making sure that the joker was real, it happens, some people like to grab, I take it as a compliment, it means I did my job well. As far as the grabbing the card in the pocket thing, it probably means she saw you put it there and you should probably work harder so that it's an invisible move. here's an interesting thought, if she wasn't drunk and still thought the card was in your pocket, she still wasn't fooled, she probably wasn't going to reach into your pocket but then she would have to had to sit there pretending to be fooled, sadly I've often seen laymen have to pretend to be fooled. As Criss Angel would say, "Practice, practice, practice" (Yes, he's even annoying in print"