View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm 
Penguin

What tricks do you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

swanlake999 wrote:
that happened to me....

all you can really do is buy some really good effects like saw(thats good for school...people get grossed out)and practise until your fingers bleed...

or in the case of saw until your neck bleeds,blow and artery,go to the hospital and die!!!!!!

i dont know, i used to use magic to get girls, and it worked for me, but if you want to do saw, go ahead.

Post subject: Cups and Balls?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:20 pm 
Penguin

I've been performing various effects at school for a while now(3card monte, raven, card tricks, coin routines) and was wondering if there is a good way to do a trick like cups and balls or three shell game without going up to the front of the room and doing a full blown show. Can you set up angles in such a way that everyone is in front of you yet be off to the side of the classroom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:07 am 
Penguin

benlewis2004 wrote:
i dont know, i used to use magic to get girls, and it worked for me

Wow, you sound like a real winner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:47 pm 
Penguin

I like to buy effects that I know they will have no explination for. Ones that don't need prefect double lifts, ect...

fire effects work well, but not in a school setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:21 pm 
Penguin

julian1000 wrote:
I like to buy effects that I know they will have no explination for. Ones that don't need prefect double lifts, ect...

That mentality makes you sound too lazy to perfect your effects. Shame on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 pm 
Penguin

i'm in 8th grade too
what i do is i do tricks for my close friends, and if they see it, they say it was kool anyway
you can tell how bad you messed up because they will just plainly say "i saw that, but it was kool anyway, keep going" and will be amazed on how you could do that anyway
dont go wrong with the 2 card monte, only my best friend figured it out
i just bought the pk ring and hope to bluff them out before skool is over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:28 pm 
born to perform.

Because their in junior high (middle school) and they know you. It's natural for them to nag you. They HAVE to be satisified. And for them to be satisified, they have to mess you up, or figure a trick out. Trust me. I've had experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 pm 
Penguin

you know, your not supposed to do the same trick for the same audience twice, its magician law, and if you mess up, play it off like you did it on purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:06 pm 
Penguin

Find people you know will not want the trick revealed. During a prediction I did, one kid knew how I did it, and started to say it, and about three or four people started shouting at him not to say anything. I' m not performing for that kid anymore. I'm in 7th grade by the way, and magic can be pretty hard to do at school, mostly because there are so many hecklers. You definetly get better reactions from girls. One time last year I was using my d'lites in a corner of the classroom, and one girl started screaming "OH MY GOD! How did you do that!?" While a boy was extremely skeptical about it. I need to find some good tricks for school though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:19 pm 
Penguin

if i don't do a trick right i usually say something in the area of "oh i forgot to sprinkle my cards with magic dust, let me try that again." or" I'm a little bit rusty let me try that again."[/quote]

Post subject: Re: Hecklers in Middle School(Gr. 6-8 Where I live)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 am 
Penguin

It's all about your sense of humor.

Messing up or having someone mess up one of your tricks is going to happen. If you mess up there are a number of things you can do to make people laugh at the situation without feeling like they're laughing at you. Here are some of my saving lines:

1. "Oh man, I'm not wearing my lucky underwear!"

2. (I set down the cards, coins, whatever I was using when I bombed, back away a step, and shout at the prop) "OUT DEMONS!" (Then I turn to the spectator and say) "It's not easy being me... or working for me... or being forced into necromantic slavery by me... but it's fun!"

3. (If someone ruins your effect) "And you, sir, are an idiot. But thanks for trying!" (This ONLY works if you have the sympathy of the rest of your audience-- you should NEVER shame or humiliate your spectator but sometimes there's that one guy who HAS to ruin the effect and if you're working around a lot of impressionable young people you'll need to "nip in the bud" before they ALL start trying to ruin your effects.)

4. (Look up before anyone knows you've messed up and say:) "Oh crap! I forgot to compensate for the rotation of the earth!"

The thing about magic is, it should be FUN. Messing up is never fun but you can make it fun for the audience and get a few laughs in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am 
Penguin

You shouldn't have messed up in the first place.

I read this recently (or something along the lines of) "Amateurs practise until they can perform the effect without failing, Professionals practise until they cannot fail".

Garrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:25 pm 
Emperor Penguin

^^This is the third time I've posted this quote in less than a week. :D

"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:23 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
^^This is the third time I've posted this quote in less than a week. :D

"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

And yet it's still appropriate.

Keep it up it's a good thing to keep fresh in everyones mind. I've already written it down in my Magic notebook so Thanks!