View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:11 pm 
born to perform.

Try putting your name out in the local newpaper or flyers, and hand out buisness cards, or even what I do for NO MONEY at all is go to local hospitals and perform for the sick children and their families. But if you want to do hospital magic you must read this essay that really helped me out - http://magicmax.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=1878

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Breaking into a neighbors house and surprising them when they get home always works for me. Especially when the police arrive, they love a good bit of magic.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

Thats why when performing for strangers I talk for 30 seconds to a minute not even mentioning magic or pulling out a deck of cards because then they like you. You want to perform for the women and make buddies with the guys because then they won't feel insecure in their masculinity. If the guys feel threatened by you then you need to break the wall of "its just a trick" or the "challange factor".

Credits Darwin Ortiz

Last edited by pookie on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:02 pm 
born to perform.

conman54 wrote:
I have a question regarding this issue:

performing at school is a bad idea and I am fully aware of that, but where can I get performance experience thats not school?

At school. You SHOULD perform at school. Look in the essays section of this forum, I and others have written enough about this issue in the two 'magic at school' threads... The important thing is to appreciate that it isn't easy to do magic at school. It's hard, but you'll learn a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:28 pm 
Penguin

Usually i just then do a show off trick right in front of their face and say, "How'd i do that one?"

Trick ex. Scotch and soda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:59 am 
born to perform.

Nice to see someone diffusing the situation by creating real magic and entertainment, rather than showing off, using 'tricks' and challenging people. :roll:

Post subject: answer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:38 pm 
Penguin

yeah it really pisses me off so i just usually like go onto another audiance and by the way any tennagers if you show them a trick they like freak out!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 am 
Penguin

mxpx64001 wrote:
i perform at school alot, people expect me to show them a new trick every day, I do not perform infront of more than three people. Its best only to show to girls because guys are cocky and get very jealous and try every way to figure the trick out. DO NOT show a trick more than once. At school people will look from every possible angle. If somebody does say how its done, tell them "ok lets see you do it" and never show them the trick again no matter how much they ask

I totally agree, I've had much less grabing, insults, punches, spitting in my face, knife cuts, death threats when performing with female audiences. Its harder to pick the right man audience (when looking aournd public places). It's an ego thing after all... and men have more trouble with authority than female. (See social tendency for academic results lately? Female fit in the education system which is based in part by authority...) But since its not a 100% rule works-all-the-time... I did have two or three excessively grabby and insulting friends who were (and still are!) women.

(Of course I've had NO knife, death threats aor spitting and only mild punches in a friendly way.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm 
Penguin

This worked for me, back when I was in school...

“hey man, why did you tell everyone how I did the trick? They wre having a good time and they believed in magic, and now you ruined it for them. You should be ashamed of yourself for ruining the care-free fun we were all enjoying. Now we are all a little bit sadder because of your need to expose the method to my trick to everyone here. I hope you're happy Chris.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
born to perform.

Spectator: Hey! I know how you did that! You... "
Magician: Ok.
Spectator: ...

Well I have never tried this line when I do magic because it hasn't happened to me yet, probably because I've only performed to a few people, but it works really well.

For example, one time my friend asked who was my favourite magician and I told him. Then he told me his favourite magician and said that his favourite magician is better than my favourite magician. And all I said was,
"Ok,"
And he stopped talking about it right away.

This might not have been the greatest example but it was one that I could clearly remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:58 pm 
Penguin

I personally think that most of the time when people are pulling the "I know how you did that" it is because you are presenting your material in too much of a "look what I can do and you cant" manner.

As people have said, be loose...have fun. Make them understand that what you're doing is about entertaining them...not making yourself look better than them.

Confidence in yourself will lead to your audience having confidence in you as well.

(and I am also of the opinion that school is a good place to get work in front of people. Just make sure it is a small enough crowd that you can control it...then again I'm not in school...so I may just be talking out my butt)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:33 am 
Penguin

Old but priceless...

"I know how you did that"

"Congratulations!" (sarcastically) or "Wanna cookie?" (sarcastically of course unless you wanna carry around a fake cookie or something which will really amaze them if they answer yes.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 am 
Penguin

Okay, I love this part. I'm going to try to help you guys with this that I've learned in my performance

What If someone says,
- I know how you did that!
- I saw that!
- Could you do that again?
- I know that trick
- I saw your DL
- Could you teach me?
- Can you vanish my wife/Girlfriend?

Here is my respond to you performers ... NEVER SAY THE WORD NO!
Always say YES!

- I know how you did that! --> wow, that's good ... here is some money, now silence pls :D
- I saw that! --> you are really good, go on with the next trick
- Could you do that again? --> Yes I can, but not today.
- I know that trick --> you do? Well, I will perform this for the others
- I saw your DL --> wow, was that to obvious? and show the double
- Could you teach me? --> Yes I can, for 50$
- Can you vanish my wife/Girlfriend? --> Yes I can, but can I vanish with her together ....

much much more ... just say yes but don't say NO!
the word NO = a booking less
the word NO = people will be against you
the word NO = They will be 100% sure you have trickdecks

Also good examples are these from ...

Khuldrin wrote:
Them "I know how you did that!"
Me, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell me, I'm still trying to figure it out myself."

nathel wrote:
They Say: "I know how you did that!"
I Say: "Me too."
and move along

don't front them with, here take the deck and show me. Never to that cause you will be the bad magician. The will be more a heckler and you are going to fight yourself to prove they are wrong and will not work.

dimosa

I hope this could help you a bit for in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:17 am 
Penguin

reminds me of gregory wilson

lol

little kid: i know that trick!

greg: what trick? i dont even know that trick

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am 
Penguin

Cardology wrote:
reminds me of gregory wilson

lol

little kid: i know that trick!

greg: what trick? i dont even know that trick

LOL

lol that's great. That's along the lines of what I do. I just play dumb.

Spec: I know how you did that!
Me: Don't ruin it for me then I'm still trying to figure it out

Spec: I saw you do that...
Me: Really... I didn't :(

In either scenario I just throw an extra twist on at the end. Color change, ACR etc. Just be confident in your sleights and never make it look like you're doing something suspicious. School is a testing ground, but when you're comfortable there, you'll be comfortable anywhere! :shock: