View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: "Can I examine that?"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:43 pm 
Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
Ralphthemoose wrote:
What to say when someone asks to examine an unexaminable trick.

need a little help :(

Try to move on to another effect and take their mind off of the previous one.

Also, put effort into making the item seem normal, or to switch it for another 'examinable' item.

Yes, i agree. if you make it seem normal, it may lower the chance of them asking to examine it. but if they insist it would help to have a duplicate object that isn't gimmicked eg. Invisible deck switch for normal deck.
say, "You don't need to examine this" and put it in your pocket then say "well if you insist" then switch it for the normal deck/object.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 am 
Penguin

I have this problem a lot as well. So (as someone mentioned before) I use gimmicked tricks in moderation. But most of the time I use a gimmicked trick that the spectators don't even see or know about. Such as the STS or the TT or even my homemade coin pull. There are others as well. But the only time I use gimmicks that can NOT be examined is when I'm with a group of lay people that I know how they will react after seeing a trick. But a good bit of the time I will use sleight of hand anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:41 am 
born to perform.

The two main gimmicked card effects I have been doing for people lately are Twisted Sisters and Aces in Their Faces. I must have decent spec control, because noone has ever asked to examine the cards for either of these.

That wouldn't be too bad for AITF because sometimes I'll collect the gaffed cards and cop them away and then hand them the deck.

It would, however, be pretty devastating in the case of TS for them to get a look at the cards LOL

Happily it seems that they are so amazed at the Queens being revealed, and then with the back colour reveal, that they don't even make a move to pick them up and look at them, even when they are sitting face down right there in front of them. :)

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:08 pm 
Penguin

the best thing to do, is switching the un examable with the examable, basically be good at sleights. or if its a deck of cards, you can be like "dude, i dont know you, i cant trust you with my stuff". or quickly, before the question is asked, shuffle your deck, disrupt the trick or something so its too late for anyone to ask questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not sure this will work but let's say you go up to someone on the street. Then you could just say
"Ooh sorry. I don't have too much time."
And then move on with the trick.

Post subject: Options when worried about being asked to examine...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 pm 
Penguin

Have them examine it first, over, and over, and over, till they're bored with normalcy. When they ask I use an English accent and say, " Now don't let's start that again." It's actually an impression of a vulture in Disney's Jungle Book.

An example: do an ambitious card routine from Royal Road with an unsigned card, follow with hovercard (their card is the "hovercard"), then maybe have them sign it (now the "hovercard" has been examined before and after) and do an Indecent with it.

Second, open with "Name any card." Spectator does. Then turn over the top card. At this point I say, "What you thought I was a miracle worker?" Disarms the hecklers, because you've made it clear your performing, not insulting their intelligence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 am 
Penguin

trexdude wrote:
say this " depends will you shove it up your a$$ again?"

LOL, That was funny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:41 pm 
Penguin

the only thing you can examine is THESE NUTS