View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: the hover card
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:35 pm 
Penguin

i have been performing the hover card for about a week now and its really great. usually peoples responses are "how did you do that" and i just stare at them or say its magic. allthough i have been getting certain people who either want to see the card, or change the angle of the card, basically wanting to see if there is anything behind the card. what should i do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:49 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Learn some audience control. Remember, you are in control of the performance. I've heard that the DVD comes with tips on how to keep those things from happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 pm 
Penguin

i didnt purchase the dvd. i made the gimmick on my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 pm 
born to perform.

All's the better reason to go get the DVD now.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:41 pm 
Penguin

it is currently out of stock, can you guys just offer some tips on crowd crontrol or what to say when someone ask to change the angel or anything like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:52 am 

Are you performing the effect more than once? If you are, avoid that.

I find the flotation of the card pretty convincing as it is, without having to change the angle. I'd like to see you performing it, something might be slightly wrong in your handling.

Make the card float off the deck ONCE, then switch the gimmicked card for a regular card and hand it for inspection. It's pretty simple actually, I don't know why all this spectator heckling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:55 am 
Penguin

i handle the card well, but you know there is always going to be that one person who doesnt believe in magic and trys to figure it out. i guess really what i need, is to learn who to do magic too and who not too. any suggestions for that, i.e what kind of people i should perform too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:21 am 

It is your choice entirely for who you perform magic to, if you aren't going pro that is.

There are gonna be easy and there are gonna be tougher audiences, you will experience all kinds. Personally I wouldn't confuse people who are harder to impress with people who DON'T want to see any magic at all and are just burning your hands to catch your dirty work. These are the people that should be avoided...but if you find a spectator that is just hard to impress then by no means you mustn't perform any magic for him, just handle him differently.

But in this case I still don't see why such a big problem 'cause I never had any issues with spectators on the hover card. Seems you just had a [edited] on your back craving for attention.

Only tips I can give on this particular effect is use patter and don't let the card hover for more than about 15 seconds. Talk while the card starts to float off the deck...don't just sit there in silence and let them see the card floating...it is just like the balducci levitation...you never tell them you're about to levitate.

Try it again for a few more spectators that aren't out to ruin your performance and you'll see it's no such big deal. It's just plain and simple. A card is selected, levitates off the deck then goes back down, card is handed for examination. DONE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:47 pm 
Penguin

can we talk about stuff on penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:05 am 
Emperor Penguin

harleyxyz wrote:
can we talk about stuff on penguin

Well, since the topic isn't about something on Penguin... no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:50 pm 
Penguin

My advice. Perform a few simpler tricks before going into a hover card or anything like that. If you see that the people you are performing for are difficult you know to keep it away from stuff where angle is of such importance.

Sometimes the best thing you can do as a magician is NOT do a trick.