View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:00 pm 
born to perform.

The best way to deal with someone like this is to bust out an ungimmicked effect and blow his/her mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:39 am 
Penguin

i always like to do a great sucker trick, let him think hes gotten to you so much that it made you screw up, then blow them away when you show you had it under control the entire time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:39 pm 
Penguin

give him a right and a left the give him a low blow then shove cards into his mouth :D and the stick the quarter up his nose and then take a silk and stick that in his ear :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

then take a picture

PICTURE====== :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:17 pm 
Penguin

I agree with the previous response...violence is NOT the answer. Magicians are entertainers, not bullies. Don't stoop to their level. As many possibilities as there are with magic, I'm sure you can find another effect to do for ANOTHER person that actually appreciates magic. Don't give those who don't appreciate the art of magic the time of day. It's not worth it.

MTroyS

"Be Magical...Magically!" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:07 am 
Penguin

I'v Had This Happen To Me So many times i perform in my high school (i'm a senior btw) and i don't understand what these people think about when they blow a trick...?
do they think that their so incredibly smart that they can figure everything out or something but my best answer is do a couple of easy and useless tricks first (after your opener of course) i like doin the bottom pass move and quick trick (don't know why i ever bought it lol) and that way if you get a heckler you just have to adjust your angles so he can never see anything again (or take out an eye but i think we are civil magicians) 8)

Post subject: Re: what if someone auctually yells out the secret
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:19 am 
born to perform.

Syntax5 wrote:
...something like " I did this trick for a bunch of nine year olds yesterday and there was one kid that was acting just like you ... And if you find real magic please tell santa that I need a new sevg deck for xmas..."

rofl.

i like your style ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:20 pm 
Penguin

Well, for me, if someone sees how a trick is done because of an angle(usually in the middle of the trick if someone suddenly changes facial expression), I'll flash a small smile at them and make the "shh" gesture when no one else is looking. Psychologically, this is like saying "shh, I know you know it, and this is our secret" as if you're sharing the secret with them. Since magic is entertainment after all, I really don't think that getting angry or condescending toward spectators is the right move. They'll always immediately return to normal and watch the rest of the trick, and thereafter, usually won't tell the others, which is, quite obviously, better than having them blurt out "I SAW IT!!" in the middle of your performance.

And gosh, if the assistant principal or whatever told you to take everything out of your pockets, then just work your magic! Use a quick sleight to put the suspicious item somewhere else for a while. After all, you're a magician! :)

- Nathaniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:46 am 
Penguin

Shout back, "Hey, get your own show!"

Post subject: Punching
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:43 am 
Penguin

Bravesaint's right on this one. Hitting someone may shut them up, but as you get older you can't do that anymore. You CAN, but you'll find yourself doing "the pass" in a cell with a bunch of losers. Find another trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:46 pm 

In an online magazine for magicians Eugene Burger has an article on "getting caught." One of the ways he handles it is just "Oh well, back to the drawing board" and move on to another effect.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:07 am 
Penguin

Rlk7 wrote:
The best way to deal with someone like this is to bust out an ungimmicked effect and blow his/her mind.

excellent advice: i've never been in this kind of situation, but here's my suggestion: the next time this kid does this, immediately stop what you're doing and say "wait... don't move".. then move a few steps away and do a balducci leviation. then just walk away (stumble, look sick, and run into a nearby bathroom). then, don't speak to those specs for at least two weeks. when you do see them, avoid eye contact in a mysterious way.

if you present the levitation properly, and have the correct persona going already, the heckler kid won't want to get near you, let alone heckle you. a well-performed balducci FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!!!

as a footnote, let me say that starting out in magic with gimmicks may not be the route to take. i would recommend learning sleight-of-hand magic, and perform that for a while. this will give you performance experience without the inherent risk of gimmicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:12 am 
Penguin

i want to expand on my suggestion about performing sleight-of-hand magic before going to gimmicks.

the problem you're having is this: it's easy for this kid to run up to your specs and say "it's a trick coin!!" or whatever. he sure as edited is not going to run up and say "see, what he does is a hindu shuffle force, then a spread cull.. then a DL..." see? that's just not going to happen. of course, sleight-of-hand magic isn't limited to cards, so it is possible to stick with the stuff you like without resorting to gimmick effects.

hope this helps.

- the smurf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:32 pm 
Penguin

Point at the smiling Show-oaf and say,
"He has such a big mouth he can eat a banana sideways."

or

"I can do really good mentalism! Now let's see what the audience is thinking about, "Hmm... they seem to want to find a place to hang their hats and you!"

or

"The only cure for people like him is birth control."

here's one if you are really angry

"Let's play a fun game called Building and Loan... get outta the building and leave me alone with the audience!"

or

"Hmmm. you're the type of person one would meet in a nightmare."

this one is pretty offensive

"Why don't you gang up with some garden tools so you could have something to look up to?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

invite the heckler to do a signed card trick...shock pen anyone

Post subject: Easy...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:50 pm 
Penguin

If someone says they know how it's done... then they say, it doesn't matter if they're right or wrong, I usually show a resigned look on my face and agree. "What? That's really how it's done?" "Yep, you've found me out." After I play this line, they are doubtful and say, "No way, that can't be it." Never fails me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next