View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: turning over cards not supposed to be turned
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:57 pm 
Penguin

How do i stop the person from turning over a card they are holding when it is not supposed to be flipped over. For example, in David Blaine's two card monte after i "switch" the cards almost everybody flips it over to check if i really switched it. How do I stop this from happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:34 pm 
Penguin

I find that if I draw all the attention to the card that I just pulled out of there hand and show it to them, they tend to not really care what they are holding. In other words I just don't mention their switched card until I have both of the switched ones in their hands. You also need to make sure that you aren't looking suspicious when you switch the cards from your deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:29 pm 

You're new, so I'll advise you to call it Be Honest, Which Is It? or Be Honest for short. The reason is that that's the original name and people here can be very touchy about it. With a little bit of practice, this won't be a problem. You also really have to work on the wording in the routine. I haven't had someone try to turn the cards over in a long time. The other problem is your confidence. If they sense that you don't feel right, they'll know you did something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:33 pm 
Penguin

What i do is when i switch the cards around. I move my card above theirs. It kind of prevents them from getting an angle to turn it over at.

Also, the two card monte can be portrayed as a gamblers move right up until the end.. Just use some patter that involves letting them know that you're going to be switching the cards around, and after you get them to show the first card around (while you're getting set with the other one) just say, "Don't turn it over again, I'll let you know when".

They feel like they have control of that card, and that you're not going to really do all that much funny business to it, and they're comfortable they have it. It's worked for me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:24 pm 
born to perform.

i like to put the card beneath their shoe for tricks like that or clasped Between their hands, they rarely look at it, i don't reccomend letting them hold the card beween just their thumb and pinky AND NEVER EVER LET HECKLERS hold the cards like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Philal wrote:
i like to put the card beneath their shoe for tricks like that or clasped Between their hands, they rarely look at it, i don't reccomend letting them hold the card beween just their thumb and pinky AND NEVER EVER LET HECKLERS hold the cards like that!

Besides posting in a topic nearly 2 years old. I disagree with most of your advice.
If you would learn some control you wouldnt have to put them under their shoes. That just sounds rather pittiful and lack of effort.
You really have alot to learn about crowd control, assistant control and just about hecklers in general.
Theres just no reason to have them put the card under their foot or under anything but their hand, enless they are just overly wet or dirty.
The between the hands is better than the shoes.

Learn control and you should have no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:48 pm 
born to perform.

i saw someone doing a 2 card transpo where the spectator was holding the card with her shoe
in the end she seemed confused rather then amazed.
i would never tell someone to step on my cards...
if i get the feeling that the guy is going to turn the card that im about to give him over then ill put the card face down on the table and tell him to put his finger on it.
or sandwich it between his hands, in case i dont have a table

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:39 am 
Penguin

In BPT, Oz suggests to tell the spectator not to flip over the card because he/she will try to guess what it is. Of course, this will work only in some type of tricks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:29 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Besides posting in a topic nearly 2 years old.

hey i'm just trying to help, other people could look at this these days and still need some extra points.

and i don't put their card under their shoe anymore, just inbetween their hands, the shoe thing was just trying to help those who have no control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

It doesnt help, it gives a cop out. Philal, please dont try and recover after you admit to something like that, it makes you look worse, and insecure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:47 pm 

No cop out. If he started a new topic I guarantee someone will dig up the old one and fuss at him for starting a new one. The reason we don't automatically lock old topics is so people can build on them, just like he did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:13 am 
born to perform.

Actually, i meant his idea, not the fact he revived an old thread.