View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How'd you do that?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

I have an answer worthy of the gods.

Tell them that you previously placed a disk over their eyes that promotes camera tricks to occur. Tell them that they are really just seeing things, and do a colr change! then go into another trick! or end your show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm 
Team Penguin

Uh... I could see that. Yeah, that would work well! I would say implant though. It scares them more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 pm 
Team Penguin

Oh, and, I used to use that as my presentation for Garrett Thomas's Ring Thing. I would say that I was going to make them expirience human camera tricks. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 am 
born to perform.

okay....worthy of the gods?
Have you tried it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

I think that explanation will just turn people off. It really doesn't make sense, and I don't see how saying they had an implant could ever make anyone afraid (that was directed at Popchris). People aren't stupid, so why treat them that way? It will just tick them off.

Most of the time, when someone asks how did you do that, they don't want to know the answer. It's just a reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:21 pm 
Team Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I think that explanation will just turn people off. It really doesn't make sense, and I don't see how saying they had an implant could ever make anyone afraid (that was directed at Popchris). People aren't stupid, so why treat them that way? It will just tick them off.

Most of the time, when someone asks how did you do that, they don't want to know the answer. It's just a reaction.

You don't know the stupid people at my school. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
okay....worthy of the gods?
Have you tried it?

I have tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 am 
born to perform.

What you say should depend on the trick you just did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:

I agree with Fallingblood, the average spectator wants to believe in magic. Emotionally they do not wish to have that illusion destroyed with an explanation. Even though intellectually they know there has to be one.

"How'd you do that!" is the best compliment they can come up with. it's their way of saying.." I do not understand any non-magical way for you to have done what you did, that leaves magic as the only alternative, but since I KNOW there is no such thing as magic.... How'd you do that?"

if you tried to explain, they would literally cover up their ears and run away. This is the average spectator. Not the hecklers, or " wannabee" magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm 
Team Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

I agree with Fallingblood, the average spectator wants to believe in magic. Emotionally they do not wish to have that illusion destroyed with an explanation. Even though intellectually they know there has to be one.

"How'd you do that!" is the best compliment they can come up with. it's their way of saying.." I do not understand any non-magical way for you to have done what you did, that leaves magic as the only alternative, but since I KNOW there is no such thing as magic.... How'd you do that?"

if you tried to explain, they would literally cover up their ears and run away. This is the average spectator. Not the hecklers, or " wannabee" magicians.

Again, it depends on who you are dealing with. I am sure Philal was talking about a specific group of people while you are doing magic. We have all met the ones he is talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That group is a very small group that probably only exists in high school. For the average magician, that line is horrible and will make it very hard to ever get a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:26 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
That group is a very small group that probably only exists in high school. For the average magician, that line is horrible and will make it very hard to ever get a job.

I think the best way to handle this is some tongue in cheek reply...that is known to be you just joking around a la.." Against the magicians convocation agreement.." Or " Sorry, if I tell you the magic police will give me a bench warrant." or just say " why it's magic!!!" with tongue FIRMLY in cheek, and a knowing grin."

Magic benefits from some ambiguity. Not during an effect, but as an explanation for the effects. Spectators want to feel that magic is real, while Knowing that it isn't. By being a bit vague, and acting like you could play it either way, you feed both needs, without divulging any secrets..

" It's magic... there are no secrets..." * wink*