View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "I know how you did that!!!!"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:33 pm 
Penguin

I it when they think they know how the trick is done but it's not how you do it. Can sombody please tell me what to say to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:49 pm 
born to perform.

If someone says that then say "okay, but the difference is, i actually can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:55 am 
born to perform.

Do the trick again and prove to them that they're wrong. If someone has a theory on how I perform something I will prove them wrong if they are, and if they're right I'll do the same effect but with a different handling. I do some mem deck work, and even if people think thats how I do it, they'll also think its just too much work just to fool them and quickly ignore any ideas about how its really done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:23 pm 
born to perform.

Don't make a point of confronting them about it. A casual disproof is better than a confrontation, let alone repetition... If it's a decent size group, act a bit put off performing and the rest of the group should sort them out. If it's one-on-one or a very small group I generally use a bit of dodgy logic to confuse the heckler so much they forget what they were saying, or make their suggeston look ludicrous, then move on to another trick. If they are just being disruptive "it's a trick, you can't really do that, I saw you did something really fast" I just stress that no, I can't really do it, nor do I claim to. I'm just presenting an illusion that some people find entertaining. They then usually feel a bit bad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:29 pm 
Penguin

I was once doing a ambitious card routine for several people that were actually interested in being entertained. There was this one fella who wasn't even apart of the group I was doing this for, he was just standing off to the side peering over at me.

And if you do magic long enough you can just tell who is going to be a problem, so I knew it was going to get interesting.

I did the routine and everyone liked it alot and everyone wanted to know how I did it and etc. Then the guy standing off to the side said "I know how he did that, I read how to do it on the Internet. It's way easy to do."

And I said "Oh yeah?, way easy eh?" (hands him the deck of cards) there you are fella, have it. (smiling the whole time I'm saying this.) Show us exactly how easy it is."

Of course, he can't do the effect but mumbles something about a DL and when I heard him say it that is when I knew I could really make him look like an [edited] infront of everyone because I never use a DL for that routine.

So I did the routine again just for him and again he mentioned a DL...I then causally flipped his freely selected card face up on the bottom half of the deck while holding the top half in my hand, flipped it face down with the top half, (my fingers never touching it) and then immediately letting it slide off onto the counter where I asked him to place his hand on top of the card.

I then asked him was there anyway I could have done a DL without my fingers touching the card? And he said "No that would be impossible."

Then I said "Well, would it be possible for that card under your hand to be any other card but the one you chose?" Again, he said "No".

I asked him to take his hand off the card and to turn it over and sure enough it was a completely different card than the one he picked and then I asked one of the other people there to take the top card of the deck and turn it over and THERE was the hecklers chosen card.

As everyone was still in shock and trying to figure out what just happened, I took a small bow and said thank you and went on my way.

The best way to handle someone trying to make you look like an [edited], is to make them look like a [edited]. A Dumbass.

CoS.

Postscript: If that doesn't work, then tell them prior to the performance you lifted their wallet and copied down there home address off their drivers license and you will come to their home and beat them to death with their own shoes. :)

Okay, I'm kidding...don't do that!

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:53 am 
Penguin

the best thing I could come up with is this. I did "Spun" yesterday and someone said that they knew how it was done and proceeded to tell me how they thought it was done. I said "Are you absolutely sure about that?" And just left them hanging. They think they know but they really don't. They are only guessing. Even if they do actually guess it, they will only be right if you tell them they are. If you don't confirm it, they never know for sure. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:46 am 
born to perform.

I personally just ignore them...or pay them very little attention.

If i reply at all it will be something along the lines of "ok"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:42 am 
born to perform.

"really? That's an interesting suggestion. I may try that some day."

When you have people explaining d-lites as a guy in the back row with a laser pen, and explaining how they would do an ACR with sleeving... I also say the same thing if they're right, of course. Then, in both cases, quickly move on.

I don't believe in putting a heckler on the spot unless they really are asking for it, and I think they can take it. It's not right to just destroy your audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:37 am 
born to perform.

CenturiesOfSin wrote:
I was once doing a ambitious card routine for several people that were actually interested in being entertained. There was this one fella who wasn't even apart of the group I was doing this for, he was just standing off to the side peering over at me.

And if you do magic long enough you can just tell who is going to be a problem, so I knew it was going to get interesting.

I did the routine and everyone liked it alot and everyone wanted to know how I did it and etc. Then the guy standing off to the side said "I know how he did that, I read how to do it on the Internet. It's way easy to do."

And I said "Oh yeah?, way easy eh?" (hands him the deck of cards) there you are fella, have it. (smiling the whole time I'm saying this.) Show us exactly how easy it is."

Of course, he can't do the effect but mumbles something about a DL and when I heard him say it that is when I knew I could really make him look like an [edited] infront of everyone because I never use a DL for that routine.

So I did the routine again just for him and again he mentioned a DL...I then causally flipped his freely selected card face up on the bottom half of the deck while holding the top half in my hand, flipped it face down with the top half, (my fingers never touching it) and then immediately letting it slide off onto the counter where I asked him to place his hand on top of the card.

I then asked him was there anyway I could have done a DL without my fingers touching the card? And he said "No that would be impossible."

Then I said "Well, would it be possible for that card under your hand to be any other card but the one you chose?" Again, he said "No".

I asked him to take his hand off the card and to turn it over and sure enough it was a completely different card than the one he picked and then I asked one of the other people there to take the top card of the deck and turn it over and THERE was the hecklers chosen card.

As everyone was still in shock and trying to figure out what just happened, I took a small bow and said thank you and went on my way.

The best way to handle someone trying to make you look like an [edited], is to make them look like a [edited]. A Dumbass.

CoS.

Postscript: If that doesn't work, then tell them prior to the performance you lifted their wallet and copied down there home address off their drivers license and you will come to their home and beat them to death with their own shoes. :)

Okay, I'm kidding...don't do that!

C.
do the pass when performing acr next time when they know the DL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:10 pm 
Penguin

Ask the peraon to come up with you. Ask them their name. Say its John. Say OK John how about showing us a few tricks and move to the side. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

Say ok since you know how to do it try to do it. When they say they cant say thats beacse you dont know how to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 pm 
Penguin

Spec: I know how you do that!!!

You: that makes one of us..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm 
Penguin

Okay thats good and all but I perform tricks at my High School. You can't walk down the hall without being yelled something smart or cute. I need a hard core line that will shut them up for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:00 am 
Penguin

Go to the Gazzo section and buy "Read Between the Lines".

Personally, when someone says "I know how you do that", I act surprised and say "why, so do I". Then I comment to someone else "what are the odds of that, eh?" as I proceed with the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:26 am 
Penguin

Spectator: I know how you did that.

You: Hush! These folks might think you're in on the trick.