View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:54 pm 
Penguin

There's always "First time is free, anything after that is a magic lesson, and I charge $100 a minute. Please ask to see it again!"

Though I'd echo that it's really about audience management. You answer them with a laugh that subtly expresses something like "yeah right, like I'd do that for you".

Audience management is about you're the boss, not them. Have another trick ready, and start performing it. They'll get caught up in the next trick. Then let them know that the next one you'll do will be your closer, and then pack it up at the end of that, and thank them very much. Cards in pocket at that point, and remember, YOU control your magic, not them.

If they're being a jerk, then they're the jerk, not you. You're the one entertaining the other people.

Also I echo the other person who says do something that starts the same, like another pick a card... then it goes in a different direction. But really, just keep moving on to the next thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 pm 
born to perform.

DespoticDemagogue wrote:
buy two of each gimmick. Keep one in your left pants pocket, the second in your right pants pocket.

Now you are set up again to repeat the trick.

or just be prepared with a backup trick

© DespoticDemagogue 2009

Whoa............... Isn't that just asking to get busted!!!

There's a reason why one of the oldest pieces of advice in magic is,

"Never do the same trick twice in a row"

I have to say stocking up to do the trick twice, In my opinion, is a bad idea.

Ted

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:50 am 
Penguin

Siamang wrote:
There's always "First time is free, anything after that is a magic lesson, and I charge $100 a minute. Please ask to see it again!"

Hahaha, thank you for my new line for when someone says that to. Bravo! Wish I thought up something like that.

~Burkey

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

BurkeWorld wrote:
Hahaha, thank you for my new line for when someone says that to. Bravo! Wish I thought up something like that.

He didn't come up with it. The basis for that line has been around for at least 3 years (the length of time I've been active here).

Post subject: Re: Do it again!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:20 pm 
Team Penguin

I have might already replied to this, but I will do it again!

:lol:

I, after telling people for years that I don't do things twice, have people at EVERY performance that always say, "Nah, he doesn't ever do the same trick twice."

Which is of course nice. However, if you are doing a street/ impromptu performance (I say this because at formal shows, no one should EVER have a chance to ask this) and no one has seen you perform there, just use one of the lines stated above.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 pm 
Penguin

I tell them that the "magician's union" will have my hide if I do it two times in a row. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
born to perform.

"Once is a trick, twice is a lesson =]"

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

Very classic. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:52 pm 
born to perform.

duds wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

Very classic. :)

Thanks! My specs always seem to love that one haha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:03 pm 
Penguin

Before you perform the trick say "Watch this im only going to do it once" that usually works for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:35 am 
Penguin

When I first got started in magic, I must've done the 1 in the hand, 2 in the pocket trick (not the other way around in my case) at least 12 times in a row in class, nobody ever figured it out, but now I don't ever show the same crowd the same trick twice in a row.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:56 am 
Penguin

The best answer more than likely is the one of the ones that tried a pre-emptive strrike against the question being asked to beign with. That would involve audience control, which can be broken down into two parts. A) The attitude of the performer and B) The presentation of the trick itself.
Let's start with A). How is it that you are performing the trick? Are you confident that it is going to work? This may seem obvious but the mnner in which the trick is presented can really affect the way you are going to be looked at and perceived, which includes how you will be questioned. For example, if you aren't presenting the feat as someone who looks as though he truly believes that he performs miracles all the time, but are presenting it as someone who just learned the way to do something neat, you are going to be questioned as such. If there is more emphasis on the "Just watch the magic happen. Don't blink or you'll miss it, and I don't think I can do it again." rather than the "I just mastered this and could do it anytime I wanted." Are you taking the audience down a path? Are you building enough suspense and timing during every performance? For example, when you see the demos for one trick, you'll notice that they are with crowd for a significant amount of time .... for one trick. Is it only taking you 20-seconds to zip through each trick? The reason they are taking their time is because they are making sure that timing is right and that suspense is built correctly so the audience is more emotionally involved creating a heightened satisfaction at the end of the trick. If you present yourself as a professional, you will be treated as one.
Now for the trick itself.I find that if I am performing a multi-phasic routine, there is less likelihood of the question being posed. The beauty of such routines is that as far as the spectator is concerned, they ARE seeing the same trick twice ..... sort of. This why I love tricks with lines in the middle like "I'm going to show you that again, but a little slower." or "Now I'm going to show how that's done" while showing them a different ending altogether. Seemingly, you ARE showing them twice, but now you have produced a different answer as well. One of three things happen. Either they are completely satisfied as they "saw" the same trick twice and got two surprises as well OR they are still trying to juggle between the two surprises in the head and by asking you to do it again, they run the risk of a third option to sort through OR they realize at this point that asking you to do it again simply means that you are going to do a different effect for them so asking is a moot point. Any of these options is very beneficial.
As well, with the "I will do it a little slower" helps prevent being asked to do it again because there is the subtle implication that by doing so, there are admitting they NEED it to be done slower. Now, that idea is often argued about whether it is correct to do or not, but I do agree with the posture it presents the performer and that the implications of insult are so subtle that people really don't pick up on them to the point where they feel that I am outwardly and overtly insulting them. They instead create the idea in their own head that by asking, they would be admitting that they need it slowed down further. But I do respect the opposite opinions as well, so this maybe something to judge with your own beliefs.
As well, I try to couple effects in my head that share similar beginnings or ideas. This way I can incorporate the above idea into a routine. For example, one trick that often gets asked for a repeat is two card monte. And for good reason. It is an awesome, simple hard hitting trick. But I'll say that I'm going to do it again, but I'll do the Daley's Ace Trick (I don't the exact name of it, but most of you will know what I am talking about). So I always have these couplings going on. Everytime I see a new trick, I couple it with something. Now if after just doing the TCM, I get asked to do it again, I simply do the Daley Routine afterwards. The person isn't exactly upset, as I did another trick with a similar ending. The only reason they would be upset is that they don't know the trick to either of them (which is kind of the idea), but they are starting to get that I am probably not going to show them the same trick any time soon. And just to hammer that in, I would follow-up with Garcia's .44, which also is the same idea of trick. So I have let the spectator know non-verbally and without confrontation that I am running the show but also treating the spec with respect as well. Now of course he may see me do it again, but he doesn't know where or when, so I still have the element of surprise.
And if, after all this you find yourself still being asked, the best escape is one with a laugh. The classic mentioned in earlier replies is good. I tend to be slightly more risque, since my target audience is. "Are you kidding? Whatdo you think I am, Superman? I need to recharge and have a cigarette or something. I tell you I think I am almost too good at this for myown well being." I, of course, say this with the correct overtones so that people get the joke with the understanding that I am not doing the trick.
Overall, be sure you have this type of confidence and you'll be fine. And overall, don't worry if you have broken this rule. The best lesson is experience, and we have all been there. We have all tested that rule just a little too much and found our personal boundaries with it. But good luck and I hope this was helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 am 
Penguin

Say what ItsOnlyJoe said, after they hear that brick of text, they'll stop talking to you forever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 am 
Penguin

LOL. That is also another way to handle it. lol. Well played, my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm 
Penguin

"once is a trick, twice is a lesson, and I charge $100/h for my lessons" :)