View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do that only are watching the trick for the secret
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:18 pm 
Penguin

What you can do is do the trick if someone blabs the secret so loads of people hear when your finnished your show (so your by yourself) get out something like a ordinary pencil and say something like your going to make it bend (or something that would use a fake pencil) make them exsaminit before hand hopefully they will spend so much time exsamining it at the beinging they will thing they no the secret when they tell you what they think it is say 'No, its just a ordinary pencil' and sometimes they will come up with a secret that would be worth making into a trick!

tom :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:26 pm 
born to perform.

Well every one is watching for the secret. but then just make the trick idea that trhey had and make Millions :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

With stage shows you can usually eliminate the problem with hecklers by having most of the show accompanied by loud music. Then no one can blurt out "I know how you did that!" Because they can't be heard over the music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:47 am 
Penguin

If you are at school or some place like that and you know that a certain group is trying to figure out your tricks, and you are doing them to people who just want to be entertained, and then the group who is watching for the trick walks up to see and find out what you are doing, just stop whatever trick you are doing, put all of your cards, coins, tricks, etc, away, and just don't do any more magic. It's not worth doing magic to people when they are trying to figure out the secret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:34 pm 
Penguin

It's a classic problem. As Paul Harris said, they have to be in the right frame of mind for the moment of astonishment. If you suspect that people will be looking for the secret, either A) Don't do magic for them, or B) Put them in the moment for astonishment.

One way I do it (B) is by doing tricks that take no sleights, and that are very simple. Do you think they'll want to shuffle the deck? DOn't do any tricks with a set-up deck. Don't have the best palm for coins? Don't do any palming. Also- if you plan on doing any DL's- make sure it's a newer deck, so the DL won't be obvious.

A great second or third trick to get them in the moment of astonishment is Paul Curry's Out Of This World.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

If people cant be good audiences, then dont do tricks for them. make it their problem not yours. the magician is on controll, not the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:53 am 
Penguin

There are a few gags out there that are seriously built for the audience members who HAVE to figure out how the trick is done. Tying a knot in the rope without letting go of the ends is just such a trick. If you're surrounded by secret-searchers, pull out a few ropes and have them follow you through.
Then do it again.
And again.
If they haven't got the moral of the story after twenty minutes of the same trick, tell them you've got to go, but they should keep practicing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:58 am 
born to perform.

ah, i dont really like rope tricks, but thats pretty good, normally people wont know how it it done.

Post subject: Hecklers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:10 pm 
Penguin

If someone is watching specifically for the move and has a good eye, throw in a few extra "wave of the hands" to throw him off completely. Eventually he'll be lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:53 pm 
Penguin

People who watch magic as a puzzle for them to figure out really bother me. That's not why I love it... I like the idea of being able to suspend the laws of nature... even if its faked. This one girl in my dorm is particularly annoying to do tricks on... cause she looks for the secret only... and if I amaze her, she gets mad. After this happened a couple times, she'd ask to see some magic and I'd just politely say, "Nope, not right now..." I haven't done anything on her since, but maybe she'll get the drift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:10 am 
Penguin

The watch the trick, you know the watch it... SIMPLE: do the oppisite, like with coins, take the coin the start babbling about how smart the are you bring the coin hand out of site, move the other one in and show the hand empty, then come back up with the other one quickly add, " Now you were not WATCHING!

That makes them a little embarrised and the will stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

These types are perfect victims for a little misdirection. they will look where you look. It is very easy to do any tricks involving sleights like palming to these people. Don't be intimidated by them, they will not discover the tricks secret unless you aren't confident and well practised as I'm sure most of you are. if they come round to have a look at my view of a deck or under my hand or touch my deck i say 'hey hey hey, don't ruin it for everyone' and they back off for fear of being hated by the others. Also really focus on stuff that isn't important i.e. your empty hand and handle it like it conceals something but you are trying to hide it. They will look and be very suspicious thinking that they have you. But they don't, misdirection is at play here. The more focused they are, the more astonished they will be when the effect is finished. But if all else fails and they still reach out and knock the cards out of your hands yelling 'Look look look they are all seperated into red and black piles!' just stand up and punch them repeadtedly in their face.