View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:49 pm 
born to perform.

Lmfao!!!!

Freidburg... you have done it again.
Although I don't think the people around would enjoy watching that :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

I usually perform in close-up and parlor situations at a local mall and other gigs. Depending on the sutuation, sometimes I let people show me something, other times not. If an 8 year old kid is telling me that he's into magic, and wants to show me his trick, and the day is going a bit slow, I'll usually let him show me just to encourage him and boost his confidence. I feel that that's what we need in the magic community, positive encouragement. If I have a decent crowd, and some snotty teen or guy trying to impress his date or whatever is like "I know a trick, lemme see dem cards." I usually have a polite reply along the lines that the venue is paying for me to perform tricks not watch, and I'd be happy to watch later on when I'm "off duty". By the time my gig is over, the dude is gone, or has forgotten.

Post subject: How to prevent getting that line...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:01 am 
Penguin

Instead of looking for ways to handle that situation, you should focus on preventing it from happening in the first place.

First of all, I hardly do any card tricks, mainly because it seems like a trick. Now let me explain this. When someone sees you with a deck of cards they immediately think of card tricks (or Strip Poker... well, maybe that's just me). They believe that you are going to do a trick... and guess what, everybody knows a trick or two (specially card tricks!!!). And this sets you up for getting the line: "Oh, I know a trick too!".

Personally, I try to make people think that I have Psychic Powers... that I do Real Magick. That's why I like to use ordinary items that can be found everywhere. I mostly do Money Magic. (And some Mentalism too.)

It can be helpful to get yourself new tricks, and learn new effects. That way it's less likely that someone else would know it already.

Also, it's very important to create you own effects and routines. That guarantees that nobody will know the trick.

You can also create variations from current tricks that can even fool magicians who already know the original effect. (I do this all the time.)

Since I always do the effects in a Street Magic style, and only to one or two people at a time, I don't ever get that line. By starting with something like: "Do you want to see some magic?" or "Let me show you something interesting." you set it up so that the focus is on YOU showing them something and not the other way around. It's about projecting authority.

If they say: "I also know a trick." (Before I show them my effect.)
I can reply: "Who said I'm going to do a trick? I said Magic! Watch..." (Again taking control of the situation... showing authority.)

After they actually see the effect they will not even bother showing me their Cereal Box Trick, or the same old card trick everyone knows.

Of course, if the person is also a magician (and I mean a good magician... or at least as good as you are) then it's different. Because they will actually know good tricks... they will most likely let you know. "I'm also a magician!", they might say. If after seeing your effect they tell you: "I also know some Magic.", then let them show you. You might end up exchanging tricks and tips... and who knows... maybe you'll make a good friend.

Because I usually approach females to show my magic (stick?)... I don't really get anybody saying that they know the effect. (I'm not implying that women aren't good magicians... but rather that not many of them become magicians. Just like not many males become strippers. Oops! I think I made it worse but I'M NOT SEXIST... really.)

Anyway, my point is that if you show authority, confidence and take control of the situation this should never happen to you. And, that if you learn new effects, create variations of old effects, and create you own effects... it will never happen.

Oh, and freiburgflyer: that was hilarious!

P.S. If you do not agree with me then YOU ARE WRONG!!! :lol: Just kiddin! :wink: Imagine what a dull World it would be if everybody agreed on everything. :roll:

Hope at least one of you finds this useful. Then again, who wouldn't? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:30 pm 
born to perform.

There is nothing wrong with letting them do a trick...because your skills should blow them out of the water and make you look all the better.

Just tell him that he can show you a trick as long as it does not involve 3 rows of 7 cards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:26 pm 
Penguin

Unfortunatley Astinus, allowing the spectator to do a trick completely messes up the flow of the show your trying to deliver. Better to keep the deck, set a rule that this is your show and continue your effects. Much eiser and more entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:39 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Quintino...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

Personnaly i think this is a great advantage, no way will they be better than you so let them do theirs first so you know what you're up against. I had someone grab the cards and say don't look. he then turned his back and ten seconds later he showed a card held tightly in his fist and said look one card. It was so obvious that he held two cards together but i said nothing. He put these cards on the deck, took of the top card, placed it into the middle and then showed it was on top. It was very sloppy and a rip off of an A.card trick. Everyone liked it so i decided to do my most amazing ambitious card routine as taught by Oz and Daryl. Because i never turned my back and actually flipped the two cards over as one like Oz does no one could understand how it was jumping to the top, or to the other half of the pack,and to my breast pocket, or to my mouth when it was signed. He was like 'How the edited! no way!'' and i was like 'How'd you like that smart guy!?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:30 pm 
Penguin

I very very rarely let an audience member perform a trick and here is the reason. If someone else starts doing a trick and they totally stink, some people will see this as a break in the magic show and a good time to leave. If i see people looking at their watches or looking around, that is an immediate tell that I am doing something wrong. My ultimate goal is to keep the specators so interested in what I am doing that they totally forget about their real lives. In order to do this, my routine must flow perfectly and keep them guessing. Therefore if I give a specator the deck to do a trick, it usually implies that I am done with my tricks and i am giving someone else a chance to shine. (If the person is REALLY BAD, then the audience might not remember me as much as they remember the other person doing something VERY STUPID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:36 pm 
Penguin

I'll ask them, "Do you want me to help you out"? When they say yes, I say, "OK, Which way did you come in"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:17 pm 
Penguin

I'm with the folks who say let the guy show you a trick. Unfortunately it seems like I'm in the minority.

OK, if you're actually on stage doing a show you don't want your flow interupted so maybe not in those circumstances (but if your actually onstage, doing a show, people don't say "let me show you a trick" because it's a pretty stupid thing to say.)

If your actually in the middle of a trick and they interupt (which they wouldn't do if you are holding there attention properly) let them do it at the end.

In all other cases let them do their trick.
This "my cards-my tricks attitude" just makes you look like a prat. Let them do their trick and be encouraging toward them. If your magic is up to scratch their friends will tell them that there trick was pretty stupid compared to your own. You are still the good guy because you let them do their stuff and were encouraging and pleasant about it and your tricks look better compared to theirs.

If their tricks are better than yours then hey perhaps they should've had the deck in the first place.
Drop your egos and rely on your talent.

George

Actually, thinking about it, if someone was actually crazy enough to shout "let me show you a trick" in the middle of a show. I might even let them come on stage and do it. Why not, live life on the edge folks.