View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bad Spectators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:38 pm 
born to perform.

In school a few days ago, I was doing the deluxe nickels to dimes trick to a friend and so he wanted to inspect the brass box so I let him and then he wanted to see the nickels so i said no and i had my hand over the coins but he kept wanting to see them and finally he knocked them over and gave away the entire trick.(Luckly he was the only one watching.) I was just wondering what I should do about these types of people. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:39 pm 

not perform for them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

oh, ok :lol: thanks. i will take that advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:44 pm 
born to perform.

Also, I wouldn't do a trick where one of the things that people are concentration on most is not inspectable. Just my two cents.

-- B.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, 1st you're in school. I'd save the gimmicked tricks for anyplace but school. Stick to the slights and there is nothing for the teacher to take away :) 2nd... you're showing a friend. That in and of it's self is sometimes just a big No NO....

I'm a little past school but there are friends that I have that I would never show a magic trick to. I know them well enough that thier primary task would be to bust and expose me rather than enjoy the show. Be careful with friends and familiars.. they can be your worst enemy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:57 am 
Penguin

Do the trick where you chew on a pack of razor blades and produce them from your mouth on a string . Put them in a himber wallet ,turn it , and let them play with the REAL ones. I doubt they'd grab at any of your tricks ever again. :twisted: :!: Now you know I'm just kidding ... that would be going too far , but one can dream.

Post subject: Re: Bad Spectators
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:54 am 
Penguin

Sumicuno761 wrote:
In school a few days ago, I was doing the deluxe nickels to dimes trick to a friend and so he wanted to inspect the brass box so I let him and then he wanted to see the nickels so i said no and i had my hand over the coins but he kept wanting to see them and finally he knocked them over and gave away the entire trick.(Luckly he was the only one watching.) I was just wondering what I should do about these types of people. thanks.

Actually, I really liked the response someone posted earlier about working in a restaurant setting. Someone was giving them "let me see that" hassles, and he just picked up his stuff, said "if you don't want to be entertained, I'll just go", and he did. Pissed off the jerk's dining companions as they strained to watch the magician doing the show at the next table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:27 pm 
born to perform.

Bad spectators are a part of any entertainment field. I do believe that avoiding these people is a good thing...but you cannot always do that. You have to develop a style where people won't feel comfortable enough to reach out and touch you or your gaffs, but also a relationship where they like you and enjoy you.

It is a narrow line. Find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:28 pm 
Penguin

Astinus wrote:
Bad spectators are a part of any entertainment field. I do believe that avoiding these people is a good thing...but you cannot always do that. You have to develop a style where people won't feel comfortable enough to reach out and touch you or your gaffs, but also a relationship where they like you and enjoy you.

It is a narrow line. Find it.

thats why i dress like a "freak" it keeps people from gettin to close to me but if i engage in conversation there afrade not to talk to you :twisted:
well i dunno about that but once they get to know you it doesnt mater how u dress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:16 am 
Penguin

do this:
If a trick is very simple and u can give it to a spects hand, do that!
If the trick is half- exemnible do not!

When i do a trick infront of a spect, its my court.
the magician is the player not the ball.
Practice infront of little kids act as u are the one who rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:06 pm 
born to perform.

don't perform for them... i have several friends i dont perform for, because they r the "not content with not knowing how" type of ppl... and they dont even try to enjoy the trick or the patter, they just stare ruthlessly at my hands(usually while off to the side, tryin to catch one of my angles) and still get fooled :D ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:01 pm 
born to perform.

lol :lol: thanks for all your advice guys. I think stop them from doing that now. thanks alot guys!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

what u should do is buy a trick that u will be able to trap someone into asking wait i saw that or something like that, and then just prove them totally wrong.

a good example of this is ring leader in one of the phases u trap the specs pwerfectly and trust me they wont be saying anything for the rest of the performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:37 pm 
Penguin

i would go with Astinus,
i think presentaition is everything. maybe he didn't said that in those words, but thats what he ment to say (i think...). also, if u REALLY want to carry gimmiked tricks, like coins, have the same coins only none-gimmiked in ur pocket. now, when u end the trick, put the coins right away in ur pocket, if some 1 wants to see them, just take out the other coins and show them... but i would really recommend doing on none-gimmiked tricks at school, coz everybody knows u and they would try to catch u doing mistakes. or if they catch u with a gimmik, they would just say ur'e a fake magician or somethin like that...
in my opinion u have 3 options:
1 improve ur presentation
2 stop doing gimmiked tricks
3 preper solutions to ur gimmiks if the specs would like to examin them

ovcorse that that 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 go together... i think the most importent thing for u right now is ur presentaition, no offense but it sounds a little weak.
u can even ask ur friend to give u some coins for ur trick, then tell him u need ur "magic pen" from ur pocket for the trick to work. when u reach ur pocket, pick up the pen u puted there befor the trick, and switch he's coins with urs, do the same when u put the "magic pen" back into the pocket...

i hope i helped u a bit with this,

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

I have many friends who are also into magic, or magic got into. But not as good as me. :roll: One of them, when I tell them to pick a card, he will pick the bottom or top card, suspecting I have something rigged. Another friend is familier with the DL. So when I do a trick, I've made it a habit of everytime I show a card, to do it in the "DL Fashion." Or make it look like you DL everytime. But you don't.