View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: jh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

loren_5000 wrote:
i hate it when they say an answer that would work and you have to tell everyone that it doesnt work like that :evil:

Try to avoid giving any answers. Including yes or no. Tell them it's magic and ignore them from that point on. They will get the hint.

When you start arguing over how it's done, the magic is gone from it and it turns into a battle of wits and anyone else watching will be more interested in wether or not your spectator/sceptic is correct in his theory.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

one time i made a silk vanish and appear outside, and this guy said i have secret magic helpers, in the form of elves or something lol. well isnt that still magic? or i made a selected card appear inside an orange, and he said i read his mind and knew the card before the trick. again still magic of some sorts. i made a silk vanish, but he said i have a hidden compartment inside my finger or hand lol. ppl dont really believe they know how it is done, they are just trying to get you to prove them wrong with the actual method, therefore confirming it is not real. then all you would get in response is, i knew it was some kind of trick. so you would not win regardless.

Post subject: Re: Response
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:20 pm 
Penguin

jamberry wrote:

One time they searched my pockets for about fifteen minutes before they realized I was wearing regular pants. :)

lol was it a girl? :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:26 pm 
born to perform.

everytime i get a new efect down pat i show my parents, i did the pop up amb. card routine and she said while the deck was eye level i pulled it out the side and slid it on top.. now thats really bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

BeMan wrote:
but the only way to really prove it is to show the real method. That's always made me mad.

I am a big advocate for putting people in their places. However I have learned humbleness since getting into magic.

I bite my tongue every time someone wishes to mess up my trick, or expose my trick. I would love to tell the world he/she's wrong and does not know what he/she is talking about. But realize of course they do not as I am the magician, and they are the spectator. We both have our jobs. If they aren't doing their job right, it doesn't mean that I will not do mine properly.

8)

Post subject: Re: Response
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:26 am 
born to perform.

wayno wrote:
Heh. I hope they were female. ;) Otherwise that could be quite uncomfortable to deal with for 15 minutes. ;)

8)

:lol: No, it was more like them pointing and demanding that I pull out my pockets, and scratching their head, and feeling the pockets (pulled out)

:shock: I don't want to even imagine what you guys were thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:30 pm 
born to perform.

one guy in school ACTUALLY suggested that i had a button on the pen that made superglue come out of my pen and GLUE THE PAPER!!!! ideot!

(stelath pen by the way incase you ar a [edited] like him!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:07 pm 
Penguin

Scorpio wrote:
some ppl actually guessed stealth pen, but i give it to them and they have no evidence..... :twisted:

the most ridiculous explanation: It's magic...

I had one guy guess Stealth Pen, and was able to prove it using something he had in his pocket. That was pretty dissapointing. I pretty much can't go into any more detail here though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:58 pm 
Penguin

I think what sucks about people starting to explain things is that any chance for wonder in your audience is now lost. They start to join in on the "guessing game" and the moment can be lost. Beyond Secrets actaully has a good deal to say about this, I'm finding. We'll see if it helps.

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

u just have to pick the right spectators i guess... if someone in the group wants to try to ruin it, u should probably stop performing... even if u do somethin that is impossible in the eyes of every other spectator, that one guy will sit there and try to ruin it, probably to make himself feel smarter than those around him, and to separate himself from his 'fooled' friends...

i have one friend who CANT be wrong, no matter what an argument is about... he never sees my magic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:18 pm 
Penguin

The problem with me is that many times I am hired to perform and I get paid at the end of my show. I (and quite a few others in penguintown) don't have the luxury of just stopping a performance. Sure, on the street or for friends I'll just walk away, but what can I do? Turn down good money because of a bad spectator?

So it's not really more of a problem, just more in need of a solution for me and others in the same boat. I think it comes down to being humble enough to not challenge them back right away, to take the time to win them over if you can. But in case you can't...I always have one trick that can't go wrong, one that hits so hard they can't help but go nuts. For me, Lorrayne's no sleight of hand prediction effect is what works well in these situations. It's one of those wonderful things that is disarming, always works with the right presentation, and leaves that person just gaping at what happened. This works for me, and allows me to move on and enjoy my performance.

...and I'm spent.

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:33 am 
born to perform.

^well of course a paid performance is different... and a mind boggling effect is what u neeed...