View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bad at watching trix? Sure, it's possible.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:33 pm 
Penguin

Highly likely, as 3/4 of my family is really into all my tricks, I found it hard not to show my sister. But there is indeed a difference between the crowds, such as constructive criticism, or "HAHA LOOK EVERYONE I SAW THAT!" or even worse... "that was dumb. you suck. no, I cant do it myself. but you still suck." I get very annoyed when people say the trick out loud in front of an audience... but my sister is by far the most rightwing of all annoying crowds, as she wants to inspect every minute detail, so it gives her pleasure to see that I am not good at something... Ever see this happen to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:46 pm 
Penguin

I agree with you that there can be uncooperative spectators. I am not of the school of thought that preaches, "there are no bad spectators, only bad magicians," however, I do think that a lot of the time it is the performer's fault.

Are you presenting your magic in such a way that your audience feels compelled to "catch" you? Your goal should not be to merely "trick" your audience; fooling them is obviously a part of it, but it is important to entertain your audience and get them to like you.

Performing for your family can be rough. I personally prefer performing for people I don't know because they are much less likely to be uncooperative. If your sister refuses to respect you and your magic, then don't perform for her. You don't have to, and, unless, it is an error of your own that stimulates her behavior, you probably shouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:26 pm 
Penguin

i also have a sister like that, and i just stopped showing her magic about half a year ago. when i show to my parents and stuff, i let her to watch from the side without talking, now she asks ME if i could show her a trick and it's not me asking HER if she would like to see one.
i really know how u feel about this, i know u want to test ur skills, and best of doing that is asap. but trust me on this, if people don't respect ur magic, then don't respect them by showing them magic.
i think the worst is BEGGING (dunno how to spell it) from someone if he would like to see a trick. the target is to entertain.

ps

i also totaly agree with the last post

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:20 pm 
born to perform.

Sisters are the worst spectators. Example: I tried Biddle trick to her and messed up the key part. After she caught me, I went into the next room and did it perfectly to my cousin. (Who is a girl the same age.) Its just the sister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:25 pm 
Penguin

And realize that she treats you like that because she is your sister and she knows you... Typically your parents will be cool because it is your hobby and they want to support you.

But anyone who knows you well, who doesnt feel like they need to support you, will totally goof on all of your magic no matter how good you do it. Because the mystery of "you" is gone, they know you, know you have no special powers and they wont take it seriously. Do the same trick to one of your sister's friends and all of a sudden your sister will change her tune when all of her friends are going nuts.

Another key is, don't practice in front of or with your sister... make sure she only sees a trick when you do it flawlessly.

good luck,

Chip