View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Let me see those cards!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 pm 
Penguin

I am an amateur, performing occasionally for friends. When I use a stripper deck it's no problem letting them examine the cards, but most trick decks are not so subtle.

Any suggestions on how to answer "Let me see those cards."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:42 pm 
Penguin

1. Learn sleight of hand so you can use any cards.

2. Lie to your spectators about why they can't touch the trick decks.

Sounds cut and dry, but when you learn sleight of hand and can use a borrowed deck, this won't be a worry for you. :)

Pj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

when they say, "can i see those cards?", you act like you dont hear them, put your cards into their case and put them into your pocket. Once they are in your pocket, "hear" them and say, "ok, sure, here they are" and from your pocket you pull out another deck that was there that is the same color. Just a little deck switch i thought of on the spur of the moment

-Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:13 pm 
born to perform.

When asked this i just do a one handed fan to the spectator and flash the deck to them and say 'There ya go'. When using a svengali deck they never notice anything, but be quick but not toooooooo quick. It's really a nack. Or if you're evil you can just say 'Yes, they are a deck of cards'.

They will hold no suspiscions if you make a joke of it and say something like 'No because all the cards are the same' this works well (unless you they really are all the same).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:10 pm 
born to perform.

get a video set and learn some tricks with normal cards then it's never a problem to hand the deck out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:12 pm 
Penguin

Sarcasm is pretty hard to read, Roy. You clever boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:54 pm 
Penguin

I'll usually make a distraction and then a deck switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:17 pm 
Penguin

or you could say "yeah right, so you can do your 52 card pick-up routine" and pocket the deck. If they're persistent enough to persuade you they aren't going to do that take a different deck out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:19 pm 
born to perform.

Like they say, learn some tricks with regular decks. I have lots of situations where it is natural for the spectator to look at the cards (I leave the finished product on the table, etc), but I try never to give them to the spec when they ask. It sets a bad precedent. Interestingly, when you get better and your friends know you never use a "trick deck" they will stop pestering you so much about looking at the cards.

Please, the rest of you, ignore Roy. He gets nearly 600 posts in two months by provoking this inane one sentence back and forth spam contests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:49 pm 
Penguin

personally i think to be a good magician, (which im not) you ogtta be able to deal with it weather its a gimmick deck or not

like, taking a random person, doing a trick with a gimmick deck and walk away. leave them while they are dumbmfounded, just leave

or do what i had to do to save my bacon when i didnt have a deck to switch and talked about how amazing what i just did was, how unconcievable the whole concept was,, there's always someone there who is dumbfounded and will be like "yeah man think about it whoa, how could he" worst come to worst, most gimmick decks can be fanned without problems giving away secrets, why not fan and say, look there's your deck buddy,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:40 pm 
Penguin

For myself, I wld use regular cards to perform for those people on first encountance...
they are those audience that would DEFINATELY be interested to check the cards...
Do a few more other magic with the regular cards before you switch to any grimmicked cards, they'll gonna be like, "I dont want waste my time checking, makes me felt so silly..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:56 pm 
Penguin

This is what i usually do in a situation like this: Like when i wanna do invisible deck ill do a mind-reading trick with cards such as do as i do, then ill do a coin trick or the web or something, and then after im done with that trick ill say "let me try reading
your mind again" and pull out the invisible deck.

If you give the impression that the cards are normal early on the audience will believe it for the rest of your performance.

Post subject: y
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:10 pm 
born to perform.

majikgeorge wrote:
or you could say "yeah right, so you can do your 52 card pick-up routine" and pocket the deck. If they're persistent enough to persuade you they aren't going to do that take a different deck out.
I like this idea :twisted: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:17 pm 
Penguin

i usually reply with a evil grin that "this is a Magic Show... not a Magic School!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:57 pm 
born to perform.

lordofsharks wrote:
I'll usually make a distraction and then a deck switch

Thats what I do, works like a charm