View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:04 pm 
Penguin

If you don't have an identical looking deck, then put them in your pocket (maybe with the "52 pickup" line) and if they insist, pull out something that is not even sort of card-related. Like a banana.

Spectator: "No, I want to see the cards you used."
Magician: "That is the cards I used."
Spectator: "Um.......this is a banana."
Magician: "A banana?!? That's preposterous."

Then move on to your next trick. If nothing else, they will think you are psychotic and let you finish your routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:42 pm 
Penguin

are you serious a banana? that is honestly pure genious...did you think of that yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Yes, I made it up........If you can convince people that it is hopeless to argue with you (because you will just do something stupid like hand them a banana) then they will give up and just let you be magical. Confusion is as important as illusion. Hey that rhymes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:01 pm 
Penguin

lol i like that! ANd hey people need to stop saying, learn tricks with a regular deck of cards... i mean i am great with a normal deck of cards, and im sure as edited lethal with them and everything. BUt saying learn tricks with a regular deck, doesn't help people who need advice in this forum, dont u think? There are just some amazing things that u can't do with a regular deck of cards, that u can with a gimmicked deck. That's just my thoughts, good point? or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:23 am 
Penguin

Magicman33 wrote:
....There are just some amazing things that u can't do with a regular deck of cards, that u can with a gimmicked deck. That's just my thoughts, good point? or no?

I agree... with a twist.... I think the correct way should be to learn tricks with regular cards B4 going to the gimmicks. :shock: I'm just really getting going in the cards, but on the coins side I usually go through my pure coin routine, then at the end, use a couple of gimmicked ones just to melt their brains with the impossible.

I'll probably repeat this for the cards once I get them down pat as well.

The Banana.. that's freaking hilarious... but I'm afraid Groucho Marx beat you to it a few decades back.... regardless.. I'm going to use it! :twisted:

Drawback... carrying a Banana in your pocket all the time... but you can always use that to your advantage :P ... but then you could use the other groucho phrases... hey is that a banana in your pocket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

trbrooks wrote:
If you don't have an identical looking deck, then put them in your pocket (maybe with the "52 pickup" line) and if they insist, pull out something that is not even sort of card-related. Like a banana.

Spectator: "No, I want to see the cards you used."
Magician: "That is the cards I used."
Spectator: "Um.......this is a banana."
Magician: "A banana?!? That's preposterous."

Then move on to your next trick. If nothing else, they will think you are psychotic and let you finish your routine.

But hen youd have to carry a bananna wherever you go. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:26 pm 
Penguin

That banana line is hilarious! I usally say "Go buy your own deck, Ya mooch!" and move on to something else.

Banana!........Riot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

you could say kinda' toungue-in-cheek . "yeah! right! you can't even wash your hands. like i really want you to smudge up my tv magic cards! sure!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:33 am 
born to perform.

you could do a deck vanish if there4 is such thing and say what cards?

Post subject: Re: Let me see those cards!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:41 pm 
Penguin

Flynn wrote:
I am an amateur, performing occasionally for friends. When I use a stripper deck it's no problem letting them examine the cards, but most trick decks are not so subtle.

Any suggestions on how to answer "Let me see those cards."

If they ask let me see your card's just ask them "oh you know some trick's to show me " that should discourage them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:29 pm 
born to perform.

ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME;

I do the effect and put the cards away. After they ask I tell them very seriously and sometimes mysteriously, "Oh, but bad things happen when someone else handles these cards." Which is true! I switch decks if I have another. They may inspect or I may go in to another effect.

ALWAYS expect in advance to receive a hard time from friends or kids at school and then decide where and when to perform.

AND tell them how you expect them to behave BEFORE you begin. I've heard magicians do this with audiences of ALL ages. You can add sarcasm or humor so they don't think you are treating them like the children they are. haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:43 am 
Penguin

some times when i get that i just plainily say, i dont really let people see my cards... if you watch Sal's DVD on three card monte, someone touched his cards and he got very defensive... your cards are like your children... :lol: with out them, you cant do anything... also, when you get a comment, quickly move on to another trick before they have time to ask you, then for you last trick... do a "secret card deck switch" and finish using a trick with a real deck then let them see it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:43 pm 

If you are going to use a gaffed deck of any kind, you are going to have to learn how to perform a deck switch. The easiest way to do it is to put the deck away after the trick and go on to another trick. Then come back to a final card trick with a regular, ungaffed deck (make sure this deck comes out of the same pocket you put the previous deck in). Now they can examine all they want.

Now, having said this, I want to leave you with a final thought - If your spectators are constantly wanting to inspect your props, are you really creating a suspension of disbelief, or are you simply providing an intellectual challenge or puzzle to be figured out? Ouite often, the spectators reactions are a reflection of our performance style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:52 pm 
Penguin

you dont even have to make a distraction. just have a regular deck with a duplicate back in your pocket and when you go to put the cards in your pocket and they ask to see them just make a switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:56 pm 
Penguin

Strange as it seems, I can actually imagine someone with a Blaine-like performing style using that banana thing. It definitely would have the appearance of mystery and confusion for the audience, much like when Blaine did the thing where he looked close into the girls eyes, and screamed. The banana would make you seem psyco, but at the same time, no one would have any idea what you were about because of that psyco-ness (edit: geesh, is "psyco-ness" even a word?!?). I love the idea, 5 out of 5 stars :D