View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: additional question to "i know how that's done"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:43 am 
Penguin

should i ask'em how do they think the trick is done
or ignore them and leave'em alone.

(should i prove'em wrong?! :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:31 am 
born to perform.

It depends on the situation.
:arrow: Sometimes you ignore it and just move on
:arrow: You can always ask them "can you keep a secret?" When they reply "yes" You say "good, so can I" and move into your next trick.
:arrow: You ask them "you're gonna show me how this trick is done?" when they say "yes" tell them "sorry but your a little late because I already know."
:arrow: If that person still wants to egg you on...make an example of how much of an [edited] he or she is by saying something like "I really enjoy showing you guys some things but unfortunately some people (look directly at THAT person) just don't want to have fun" then walk away. That will turn everyone at that table or group your performing for against the heckler and probably make him feel stupid in the mean time.
This usually works for me, and sometimes I'll go back to that table or group and that person won't say a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:05 pm 
born to perform.

Usually it is best to not ask them. I know it is hard, and we are all tempted, but that is best. If they insist, and the time is OK, I guess you can listen to their explaination but beyond that I try to not say anything.

You will feel a certain power grow in you when you learn that it is OK to do your magic even when someone is saying "I know how that was done." I did a short routine using Greg Wilson's All Around coin vanish for a class of sixth graders. One kid saw something and blurted it out. No one else saw it so I ignored it and just smiled. Some of the kids argued that was not what I had done (which it was) and by the end, he was the only one who believed. But I thought, "who cares anyway? Even if they all figured it out, they were amazed at the moment I did the effect. I can't worry about what they 'figure out' later."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:06 pm 
allright, it depends on how they say it.

If they say it just as a little side note to a friend:
Igonre it and move on

If they say it to brag:
Say "Hey, thats great, but how about we just keep it between the two of us"

If they do it to be jerks, depends where you are:
With friends around you:
I would have a friend of mine beat the crap out of that person
At a job:
Don't loose your cool, your boss could be watching. Instead just say something along the lines of "Yeah, noone cares dude, just calm down and enjoy yourself"

If they continue to heckel me I just tear him to shreads verbaly until he feels sorry for himself then I continue with my show.

I don't like doing the last thing, but if it comes down to it, I don't let someone think that magicians will take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:21 am 
born to perform.

I can't help but always ask my spec if they saw how it was done. And when they say 'Okay, yeah i did' I almost scream in rage and attack them shouting 'TAKE IT BACK!' :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:52 am 
born to perform.

Magic_Roy wrote:
I almost scream in rage and attack them shouting 'TAKE IT BACK!' :shock:

OKaaaaaaaaay...alittle harsh, funny but harsh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:18 am 
born to perform.

I need help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:52 pm 
Penguin

i have 1 friend who wont accept magic for magic,

for him, if im doing clean magic, i shuffled the deck a bit incase he thinks, DL , or card set up and hand him the deck

remember, you've been practising these tricks, this is his first time, even if he has figured it out, he does it poorly and everyone see's what he's doing and how he's doing it. he might even drop the deck, its quality.

then you take the cards off him and do another trick, leave him dumbfounded and hand him back the cards, and say , c'mon i thought you knew how to do this stuff

the more you show tehm up, the less people ask

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:45 pm 
born to perform.

dionsiseire wrote:
i have 1 friend who wont accept magic for magic,

for him, if im doing clean magic, i shuffled the deck a bit incase he thinks, DL , or card set up and hand him the deck

remember, you've been practising these tricks, this is his first time, even if he has figured it out, he does it poorly and everyone see's what he's doing and how he's doing it. he might even drop the deck, its quality.

then you take the cards off him and do another trick, leave him dumbfounded and hand him back the cards, and say , c'mon i thought you knew how to do this stuff

the more you show tehm up, the less people ask

Repeat after me: Magic is not a challenge, magic is not a challenge, magic is not a challenge. You will never become good if you are trying to show people up.

Do not hand your deck out and ask someone to do a trick. You are the performer; they are the audience. You are there to entertain, to bring about astonishment and joy. If the specs do not want that, then don't do magic for them.

Of course, the spec who says "I know how that was done," won't be able to reproduce the trick. What is the point of showing him up like that?

Oh well, we go through this on this forum a lot. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:49 am 
Penguin

Thanks guys, I'm gonna use these!

Hehe :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:34 pm 
Penguin

i have come up with the best response for that situation, this is perls of wisdom here... NEVER GIVE THEM THE DECK OR GIMMICK!! this gives them a chance to actually show everyone that they might knw how its done, instead take them aside if you want and ONLY LISTEN to what they have to say, as if you interested in they way the percieved it, never give them the DECK i repeat because if they do knw how its done ur screwed. Instead listen to what they say, then what i usually do, if they are right or wrong i say "Wow, thats an interesting way of doing that, i never would have thought of it, im actually going to try to see if i can pull that off later. Thats not exactly how i do it, but you might have something there."

Post subject: "I Know How You Did That"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:27 pm 
Penguin

Whenever I have a spectator blurt out, "I know how you did that!," what I usually do is to say, "Oh, ho, we have another magician with us today! Luckily, a good magician never reveals a secret!" Then I'll wink at the person and move on to the next trick. This has a couple of benefits:

1. Rather than embarrass or humiliate the person, it makes him feel like part of the proceedings. This goes a long way towards making sure everyone is having a good time.

2. If the person doesn't really know the secret, he can at least look smart in front of his friends. If he does know it, he can't really say anything without looking like a fool.

You can also take advantage of the moment by saying something like, "You know, it's always a real challenge to perform in front of other magicians, since it's so hard to fool them. But I think I have something that will fool even the best of them." Then proceed with a killer effect. More times than not, the person will be amazed, and the spectators will be even more impressed that you were able to stun a fellow "magician."

Many times, the people who claim to know how a trick is done are interested in magic themselves, and if you don't alienate them by trying to make them look like fools, they will often want to talk to you after a performance. This can be beneficial for both you and the spectator.

Anyway, this is what has worked for me. If anyone else tries this approach, let me know how it goes.