View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Vs Logic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:24 pm 
Penguin

Is there any tricks to recommend to performing for a strong logically inclined person? (I personally hate those, they could more or less figure out how the trick is done by pure logic analysis, it dosen't matter even if you done it well or flunk it...all they need to see is the effect and they could figure out how it's done... :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:00 pm 
Penguin

If I weren't a magician I would be that spectator. Stear clear of self-working tricks. Card tricks involving counting etc

Try to sucker them into thinking the tricks are done a different way then change direction at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:44 pm 
Penguin

majikgeorge wrote:
If I weren't a magician I would be that spectator. Stear clear of self-working tricks. Card tricks involving counting etc

Try to sucker them into thinking the tricks are done a different way then change direction at the end.

I agree with the self workers that you have to count and stuff. I found maybe one good self worker involving counting.
If you want a good self worker that has no counting or anything, and a practically un-noticible method then you should check out Fearson's Aces. I use it all the time and noone figured it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:08 am 
born to perform.

Funny thing is, I did the stealth pen on someone who's really logical(Trig as freshman) and he instantly guessed what the gimmick was. But then, I let him examine, he couldn't get it.... funny.... The Raven is also good for those people, I think the tricks that work the best are tricks that leave no evidence behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:41 pm 
Penguin

The first time my mentor showed the effects of Bat to me, and i was like, "Huh? can such trick be used on adults?"
What i was trying to get across is:
- The audience might not be able to catch hold of the "evidence"(cuz, u conseal it well, in some manner or so), but, they still are able to figure out the logic behind the effect, unless your audience is some 5 yo kiddies who still believed in the existence of superman or voodoos... :lol:

Post subject: Burn 'em bad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:27 pm 
Penguin

Logical people need to be involved in an effect for it to mean anything to them. Mental magic or tricks that borrow their objects or tricks that take place in their hands can all help to dispel the ideas of you employing magical props of any kind. Next minimize your show of skill. The last thing these folks deserve is an easy out like -- "Boy you have fast hands!" :roll: Instead, let the magic happen in their hands or heads and use reverse logic to take preemptive strikes to eliminate any explanation these folks may have latter on when they try to reconstruct the routine. Take them down the garden path and turn the hose on 'em. They'll love you for it, because you have now forced them to recognize the possibility of improbable. :?

In short, items need to be examinable, borrowed and/or given away. These people will keep any reminder of this type of effect as evidence of this impossible event. Their memories will allow them to exaggerate what you did if only to help explain the fact that they were completely fooled. I hate the word fool, fooler or fooled to be used to describe anything I consider magical; however, these analytical types will want to minimize your efforts. Their egos are less threatened by using such disparaging remarks or references to your work -- so words like trick, fooled or puzzle may help them deal with this dilemma. :oops:

Listed below are some tricks that I feel fit these requirements, but these are just a few. They are also my opinions and you'll have to form you own opinions of the magic you perform to these audiences. I hope this helps.

-- Signed Card to Wallet (or Jay Sankey's "Paper Clipped" if you can't afford a nice wallet) 8)

-- Michael Ammar's "Shadow Coins" (Easy to Master Coin Magic tapes/DVDs) or David Roth's Coins Across (it uses the same gimmick) :wink:

-- One-Hundred Dollar Bill Switch :)

-- Jay Sankey's "In a Flash" (Great trick that's easy to do) :D

-- Signed Bill in Lemon :shock: